Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#174158 11-18-2013 12:50 PM
Damien Offline OP
OP Offline

Unfortunately, I don't have much good news to share with all of you. Katie's tumor continues to grow, despite the chemo she's been on for the last 4-6 weeks (Erbitux, Cisplatin, Taxitere). Scans show that it's progressed into other parts of her tongue and is pushing against her larynx quite a bit. You can actually feel the tumor when you put your finger on her throat.

There's also quite a bit of fluid collection in the lower neck area and that's also growing larger and may eventually burst.

Surgery continues to not be an option for Katie. Surgery would involve a total glossectomy, loss of the larynx, and a good portion of her jaw. With only a 5% chance of getting all the cancer, it's not worth it. The rest of her life would be irrevocably changed -- loss of voice, loss of swallowing; facial disfigurement; endless pain. Quality of life is an important factor in this decision. We are in agreement with the surgeon that it's just not an option for us.

I'm growing alarmed that we appear to be running out of options. The chemo and radiation aren't working. Her first rounds of chemo and radiation in the Spring appears to work very well, and then the cancer came roaring back over the summer months, and now we're dealing with this aggressive recurrence. More radiation was thought to be mostly not possible by us, but our RO at MSKCC in NYC is recommending something called "Quad-Shot" radiation--four intense bursts of radiation over two days, as a palliative measure to try to arrest the growth of the tumor.

All the literature I've read on this indicates it's mostly used on patients who are at the *end* of their cancer care and that scares me more than anything. This is the first time I've actually been able to admit to myself that this cancer is more serious than I was allowing myself to believe. I don't like to be pessimistic or negative, but things have not been going well for us. Trying to stay cheery every day is becoming harder and harder with every downturn.

Have any of you here gone through Quad-Shot radiation therapy? Has it helped? What do you know about it?

Cyberknife therapy has not yet been recommended to us, but I'll be asking the doctor about it the next time we meet.

I know that most of you are not doctors, but I want to ask anyway. Are there any other therapies that you know about that I can ask our doctors about? I have well-meaning friends suggesting holistic and alternative treatments and normally I wouldn't even consider these kinds of things, but I'm worried, and that worry is making me susceptible to such things.

Nobody's been willing to talk to me about a prognosis and I've been reluctant to ask. But maybe now's the time. Do you feel that it's better to hear a prognosis from a medical professional, or continue "not knowing"?

Caregiver/spouse to Katie B (age 39), non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
09/12 - Diagnosed SCC on right side of tongue. Stage IVb
10/12 - Partial glossectomy
11/12 - 2nd partial glossectomy, MND (3/28 nodes positive for SCC)
01/13 - RO and Chemo
04/13 - 2nd round of Chemo
08/13 - CAT/PET scans show mass at BOT
09/13 - Biopsy confirms SCC in tumor at BOT
10/13 - Erbitux, Cisplatin, Taxitere
11/13 - Tumor continues to progress
11/13 - "Quad-Shot" radiation therapy
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dear Damien,

I am very sorry to hear about the way your journey has gone so long and so poorly. Based on what you shared, it does seem Katie has been unable to stop the cancer. She is also being treated at a world class institute that I'm sure is on top of the latest and best treatments.

Maybe it is now time to have a serious review and consultation with your team to go over the history of treatments and what options you have going forward.

You can also seek alternate and secondary opinions. If, in fact, only palliative treatments are offered then you can focus your energy to make things as comforting as possible for all concerned. Best to you, Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Damien, Im very sorry to read the update about Katie! I was hoping that no posts meant things were getting better. Im so sorry to hear thats not the case.

Try your best to think clearly and not fall into believing false claims. The only scientifically proven ways to eliminate oral cancer are radiation with our without chemo and surgery. Chemo alone may shrink the tumors making surgery a later option.

You are already doing the best thing by seeking out the countrys top cancer centers and doctors. I can suggest maybe trying to go to another CCC for a second or even 3rd opinion. Dont give up. I also didnt have very a good chance of survival with my third round of OC and I almost quit and didnt seek treatment. But because of Brian and the members of OCF, they encouraged me to try. They kept telling me I couldnt quit unless I gave it a shot. I was left disfigured and have life long eating issues but Im alive and live a very good life. Being disfigured isnt optimal and has its challenges but its not the worst thing in the world. I know its a huge surgery Katie would go thru and it may not work (mine was similar and I had complications) but its worth a shot if it will save her. I have a very different view point on this than others as Ive lived it and without the surgery I wouldnt be here now. At least get another opinion and then make your decisions. We will support you both no matter what path this takes you. Best wishes!!!

PS....It was great to meet you both at Susans walk in September. If there is anything I can do, dont hesitate to ask and I will help you as much as I can. Please give Katie a hug from me and hang in there.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Damien,
As the other half of someone who has been through the surgery you and Katie don't want, I have to reach out to you.
Kris had his total Glossectomy and Laryngectomy 20 months ago. We too were horrified at the prospect of this huge and life changing surgery. But it came down to this. Have the surgery and live. Or, don't do the surgery and die.
It was a very easy decision then for us to make. I wanted Kris to live and with lots of encouragement and love, Kris realised that he too wanted to live. So much to live for and 3 lovely children to be here for.
Well, 20 months later and life is good. Don't get me wrong, it is quite different and we have had a lot to adjust to. But, it has so been worth it. Kris is doing very well and his health is good. He looks after our 3 acre property doing all the physical work needed. Actually I don't remember him ever being as muscled as he is now. He swallows all his nutrition, although it is liquid. We go out for coffees. In short he participates fully in our lives. We also had a holiday in Australia in August.
He speaks with a TEP valve, though I admit it can be quite hard to understand. But I get about 90% of what he says and so do our kids and his good mates. Strangers don't get it, it's a bit like trying to understand a very heavy accent, you have to get your ear in.
Please don't turn this surgery down because of what you think life will be like after.
I am just thrilled Kris is here with me and our family. The alternative was never an option.
Thinking of you and Katie,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

I'm sorry to hear all this, and others have offered good advise. I'll just list a few of the other top head and neck cancer hospitals in NYC, which you may already know, in case you want a 2nd opinion, but you are at a fine hospital at MSKCC, but each of the others may offer something different.

Beth Israel
NYU
Mt. Sinai
New York Presbyterian
Lenox Hill Hospital

I went to Mt. Sinai, but now at Beth Israel, which I prefer. If you have any questions, let me know. Two of the best are Dr. Mark Urken, Otolaryngologist, and Dr Louis B. Harrison, Radiation Oncologist, both at Beth Israel, and world renowned.

Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

The therapy you describe sounds good (the quad radiation) I know it is a large invasive surgery. Tam hit it right. Her husband is living the life you were concerned about and seems to be doing insanely well. I don't believe in numbers - the 5% - all that much. They are a guideline but everyone writes their own story. Perhaps maybe you can ask the dr. about a combination of therapies. Maybe do a surgery to debulk and remove as much of the cancer as possible with the quad radiation after? I know Paul had intraoperative radiation too... that might be an option.

also her initial radiation was to her tongue with a painting of her nodes maybe because of this new location they can give her more rads to that area as well?

hugs. and very sorry for all you are going through.

Last edited by Cheryld; 11-19-2013 10:19 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Damien Offline OP
OP Offline

Quick update: Dr. Lee has changed Katie's radiation plan. Instead of Quad-Shot, she's recommending another whole round (35 days) of IMRT. We had thought that this much more radiation would not be possible, but Dr. Lee thinks the physicists can design a plan to avoid much of the overtly dangerous consequences (like avoiding the eyes, optic nerves, brainstem, etc.)

We're both pleased and alarmed by this change. Pleased because it's considered a more powerful radiation treatment with a small chance of being curative, but alarmed because the tumor's aggressive growth has warranted this treatment.

At this point, any "long-term" side effects like necrosis of the jaw, or loss of teeth...things that you'd see 10-15 years down the road are moot. It's hard to accept, but it's the truth: if we get 10-15 years of life as a trade-off, we'll consider it a victory.

01/13 - RO and Chemo
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Damien,
Again I have to reiterate.
Please do not rule out curative surgery. It really is a matter of life or death. Radiation has not worked to date for Katie, why chance it again? By the way that is what our docs said to us.
Kris is having a very good life now post total Glossectomy and laryngectomy. As of yesterday still NED.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

Damien, Has Dr Lee, who I know of through the years, recommended Proton Treatment, which is very precise, and damages less area than IMRT? MSKCC is in partnership with 5 other hospitals in NYC called. NY Proton Treatment Center, with Continuum healthcare (Beth Israel), MSKCC, NYU, New York Presbyterian, and Mt Sinai to have Proton Treatment in Somerset, NJ where they have doctor's from your hospital there, mine does, and went there yesterday for a consultation . They plan on building a Proton Center on West 57th street eventually.

This will be my 5th radiation treatment package, but everyone is different, so are doctors. Another top ENT, other than who I mentioned is Dr. Eric Gendon, at Mt Sinai Hospital, who worked under Dr. Urken before he left to go to Beth Isrsel.

You do what you want, and who your are comfortable with. Just offering suggestions, in case you're considering, and have searched out my own. Wish I can do more.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Damien Offline OP
OP Offline

Tammy, the surgery of which you speak only gives Katie a 5% chance of being curative. For us, at this time, it's not an option we want to consider, even if we could find a willing surgeon. This may change in the future.

Paul, Proton therapy was going to be our next step if the chemo shrunk the tumor. The chemo had little effect and the tumor has grown larger, leading us to treatment (IMRT) that we hope will shrink or eradicate the tumor. Proton therapy may be an option for us at some point. The first round of IMRT in Jan-March 2013 did appear to work on the first tumor on the side of her tongue. We were hopeful that the IMRT would prevent recurrence a also, but it didn't. This BOT tumor appears to be much more aggressive. Let's hope it works this time as well.

01/13 - RO and Chemo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311