Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#171699 09-28-2013 06:09 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello all, I have a situation that I would like some advise on. I can drink and eat soft foods like cream of wheat and eggs. Ensure is the easiest as I can get a can down in no time flat. My concern is that I bleed very easy. And had my tonsil taken out. And I have bleed profusely once already. and am petrefied of it happening again. Because every time they have to operate to stop the bleeding I am effectively at the beginning of healing. I think that I sometimes aspirate some of the water that I am drinking. And know that keeping my mouth clean is very important. but what if while brushing I start to bleed again. I have been afraid of even moving thinking that my elevated blood pressure will start a bleed. I think I may be aspirating due to watering eyes and nose when I eat or drink. and I don't cough per say but do have to clear my throat a lot during meals. Is it safe to just use magic mouthwash until I feel that I am out of the woods on the bleeding thing. I have seen a swallow expert and she thinks that I need practice swallowing. and will have a swallow study done here in the next week. I know that I need more calories now more than ever. but this fear of bleeding is stopping me. in this area as well. My platelets are so very low. any advise please? shawn U

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.

Have you tried using LOTS of real butter and sugar on your cream of wheat? It's delicious and will give you extra calories. My husband is a picky eater, anyway, and with his OC he has found his favorite soft foods to be hearty beef stew, omelets, deviled eggs, hamburger patties, bbq brisket, egg custard, and beans. He tries to only eat foods that are worth his time, as protein encourages healing.

Drink carefully, eat slowly. Whatever you do, you have find a trick to eat that's somewhat not unpleasant.

As far as aspirating and cleaning your mouth-- talk to your doctor asap. We call the doctor's nurse for a faster answer. I would do that now, in your situation. Aspirating is a serious and legitimate concern. Address it head on with a qualified doctor that you can speak freely with.

We were worried about pneumonia, too. Doc discussed our (different) situation out in such great detail that we stopped worrying so much.

Lastly, write down your worries. If you don't call the doctor right away, try to focus your energy elsewhere until the doctors appointment arrives. Sleep a lot, do small things you enjoy, and try to keep your mood positive as it will help your body heal.

CG to husband-
1/2013 lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma found
5/2013 1st round chemo stopped due to hole in hard palate.
6/2013 SCC found in maxillary sinus/hard palate.
7/2013 Removed tumor from palate + neck dissection T3NO.
Has palatal obturator. Both smokers. Both want to quit. Will be done with 35 rounds of radiation + chemo + erbitux by October 10. Hemoglobin count up from 3 to 13! Lymphoma under control
OP Offline

hello Auditit, Sorry I didn't thank you for the advice you gave me. But glad to say that I am out of the woods as far as the aspiration and eating challenges. But now I am addicted to sweet, sweet butter! lol. But really thank you for the advice.(I also found that adding extra (real) maple syrup to my cream of wheat as well as the butter (heavenly). How is the smoking Or should I say not smoking going. I had a hell of a time quiting, smoke free for 3+ years( before cancer reared its ugly head and neck)!
Hope all is well with you two. Shawn U.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23