Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I agree Cheryl. A straight line would be less noticeable than a zigzag incision. Its unusual to see a surgery scar as something other than a straight line. There must be some other reason behind why the zigzag would be used.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

This scar would be on the chin of an 18 year old from her lip on down - I'm assuming midway down her throat. Dave is a friend on Facebook (the Australian boy) he had the same scar, zigzag and it is - to me - more noticeable than a thin straight line would be. Makes him look rugged and can be hidden with facial hair but on an 18 year old girl - NOT so much! And she definitely should be stitched by a plastics guy!

It is bizarre - I get that this surgery is meant to save a life - and it doesn't have to be pretty - however cancer is damaging enough and as we all know this particular cancer can be highly disfiguring. I've seen how some drs close up their patients - staples, big stitches etc.... Now we all know that it is VERY possible for a skilled surgeon to close an incision with hidden stitches so I don't get why it's not common practice. Particularly when dealing with a person's face. Cancer is terrifying enough, getting through it surviving it is absolutely the goal, but being horribly scarred and disfigured (not all but some experience this) should be minimized as much as possible since it is a constant reminder of the battle we've fought and the fear. This can totally effect a persons psyche and normalcy.

Women who've had breast cancer here can get full reconstruction and tattooed on areolas - if needed - for free here.... Hello - how many of us walk around with our breasts hanging out? I'm not saying it shouldn't be available, but there should be some parity, some of us have to bear the signs of our battle publicly day to day because it's on our faces which is the first thing people see - care should be taken from the outset.
Hugs

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-31-2013 07:41 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Nothing I can add to that excellent rant, Cheryl, you definitely tell it like it is!

Kudos, and good on ya, Lass! I'm with you on every word!

Bart

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!

Same guy performed my sisters surgery. He hid the scar along her
neck, but did have the zig zag on the chin. It healed nicely and she was able to cover up fairly easy with just a little cover up.
I'm sure they had a team of surgeons, and I believe one guy was a
plastic surgeon.

CG to sister Theresa
SCC Tonque DX Dec 2012
Surgery 5/13
Partial glossectomy w flap
9 teeth out
Titanium jaw blate
Rt neck disection
peg
trach out
3rd week of Chemo & Rads
Trach back in 8/24/13

About the zig-zag vs the straight line, seems to me that it would depend on where the incision is done. My son's ENT did the incision in a crease in his neck so that it would not be noticeable and it does not show at all (just as fishmanpa mentioned). However, I can see that if a straight line is done on the chin and on down in a straight line, it would seem that the eye would follow the line on down as far as it goes. But if the incision starts on the chin and then goes off to one side, the eye which was following the straight line has no straight line to follow. On the chin there are not usually creases in which to hide a scar like there is on the neck. Just my two cents.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

As far as I can see and recollect my throat was cut on a existing crease as I cannot see any noticeable scars apart from the up and under side damage of the lymph node removal.

Osteosarcoma radiotherapy right forequarter amputation 1961
Carcinoma of Right Larynx with subglottic extension
Total laryngectomy with right radical neck dissection 2000
Tracheostomy
Radiotherapy June-July 2001
Aggressive recurrence of the same May 2013
Neck Fistulas June 2013
P.E.G July 2013
Mi-key Oct 2013
Currently Chemo was : XELODA (Capecitabine) Now Carboplatin and now Gemcitabine !
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Mine was also on what will be a crease - my surgeon and I joked that I was too young to have the crease yet, but when it came, that's where it will be, lol.

The lines from my ear to my collarbone on each side are hardly visible now with the laser treatment I had done.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry about the situation, but glad to see that you found such a great resource as the people on this site. Your sister's situation sounds very similar to mine. I put off getting my dx for a while as well. I figured that at only 29 years old it had to be just a sore of some kind, couldn't possibly be the dreaded C. I'm sure at 18 that feeling was even stronger.

I have to agree with what was said earlier about making it known that breaking the jaw to get to her tongue should only be done if they can't get it all through the mouth once they get in the OR. I was lucky enough to not need my jaw split. (My wife is always telling me I have a big mouth.) One thing I learned during my hospital stay was that you have to be very clear on what YOU want to happen. No matter how authoritative the doctors sound, they are really just making reccomendations on treatment. Granted, these reccomendations are being made by very knowledgable people and should not be taken lightly, but YOUR treatment is always YOUR choice.

As far as eating after surgery is concerned. I found that my tastes didn't change until the chemo and radiation treatments started, which was 6 weeks after surgery. I had worked my way back up to eating about everything short of chips by that point. I've never appreciated a steak and blooming onion more.

I'm not gonna lie, it's going to be a rough rollercoaster ride. There are going to be good days and bad emotionally. Especially in the beginning it can be extremely overwhelming. Having a great support system makes a huge difference. If you or your sister have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. Chances are, someone here has been through it.

Dan

Stage 4 SCC on right underside of tongue

DX on 7/19/13 at age 29, no tobacco, light drinking

Partial Glossectomy/reconstruction/neck disection 8/20/13
Temp Trach, PEG tube

4/59 lymph nodes cancerous, 1 with extracapsular extension

Chemo - Cisplatin - 3 treatments started on 10/01/13
Radiation - 33 treatments started on 10/02/13
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507