Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#171861 10-01-2013 08:28 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Who has had a full lingual tonsillectomy/biopsy performed and could you tell me of any of your complications and how long was your recover? Was it bad?

Well portland72 I am not sure what you mean when you say LINGUAL when followed by tonsillectomy. But when I had my ND the tonsil on the left side came out too. My surgery was on 9/11 and 10 days post surgery I thought I was doing well, didn't seem to hurt so bad. But and im sure you didn't want to see the but. But, I had a severe bleed that sent me back to the ER in an ambulance. The bleed was from the tonsil bed. So they took me to the OR to coterize the wound. kept me overnite then sent me home. So I had to start the healing process over again. being much more carful about over doing it. Now don't freak out too much because my chance of bleeding is higher than yours. Unless you happen to have low platelets as I do. I have heard that bleeding occurs in about 1 in 30 adults who have their tonsils removed. And now about 9 days after the bleed, the numbness from the ND is wearing off and it hurts badly. I got a hold of my doctor and he readily gave me fenytenal patches. about the strongest take home opiates that you can get. Now im not saying that you will hurt this bad as we are all different. And I am surly not saying to ask for the pain patch unless you are very opiate tolerant. But don't be tough and suffer in pain, as being in pain is a not good for the healing process. And it may effect also how much you eat. And as others will tell you as they told me when healing you should eat 2500 calories a day and at least 48 oz of water to avoid dehydration. So best of luck with your upcoming treatment. Shawn U.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.

Portland, I found this post on here from a member who had similar CT results as you and I have had(mild asymmetrical swelling in the BOT), though his actually showed a mass and some reactive nodes, whereas mine didn't. He also finally had another biopsy much like the one you are having and his came back as squamous papilloma, which is a benign condition. Perhaps you can ask your ENT about it. Here is the thread
http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83300&page=1

OP Offline

Sunderwood,
How did you over do it? Activity, eating, or working? Also, was it palatine tonsils or lingual tonsils on the actual tongue?

I was thinking that I could clean house a little, and had just taken pain meds. started lifting things, forgot for a second. and that was all it took. Now mind you that I have a low platelet count to start with. So my risk of bleeding is higher. My tounge is intact. they took the tonsil only as far as I know. Hope this helps. I have a lot to learn. Shawn U.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.

Hi Portland, did you have the biopsy? When will you get your results? Hope you are doing well.

Last edited by Shane's; 10-03-2013 04:20 PM.
OP Offline

Shane,
I had my lingual tonsil removed on Wed. I also has the tip of my hyoid bone removed and some lymph nodes. I haven't heard from pathology yet though. I'm praying that the hyoid bone is causing pain, but I can't find anywhere that says it will cause severe pain in the tongue. Although, I'm still praying. They found the hyoid higher Cornu was farther back than normal and I have pain when turning head. Only time will tell now. I'm in severe pain from these surgeries. Just trying to think positive right now.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Please let us know what the path report says. Hope you are able to manage your pain. Nobody should have to ever be in pain like that! If you dont have pain meds, call the doc right away and get them to give you a prescription right away. Its Friday and you dont want to be hurting all weekend.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Just what Christine said, I my pain regimen was not nearly what it should have been. I emailed my team and explained to them. And now I can deal with every thing so much better. It took the big guns to do it but I am not worrying about that now.(Fentnyl patches).If I have to wean off then that means that I must be doing much better! Shawn u.

OP Offline

**pathology is in** It's all good news. Seems the hyoid has been the problems the entire time.

Thank you all so much who helped me though this ordeal. I can't tell you how special most of you have been. You will always have a place in my heart and be on my mind.

Once again, thank you! This will always be a board I check back on and see how everyone is doing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users