Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

You're welcome, Mary. Sorry you (and your hubby) have to go through this, but it is what it is, life. In all it's glory.

Best of luck to you and him!

What, me worry?

Bart E. Neuman

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi--I just wanted to update on this topic I started in May. It's been a whirlwind couple of months. (background: after getting news of metastatic spread to lymph node(s) of lungs, we were advised to wait 8 weeks, do another PET, and see how this thing behaves. No cure; only treatment) My husband had the 8-week followup PET scan June 19. The good news is that one of two bright spots is fading (subcarinal lymph node of lung), which seems to confirm biopsy result that that one is negative. However, the Hilar lymph node is still bright (SUV 3.3 in April increased to 3.8 in June), (and of course had been biopsied positive for malignancy in April). We have received 3 second opinions these last two months as well. The Hopkins MO feels this is a very slow growing thing; she wants to consider radiation with "Chemo light" to the area--trying for cure, not just treatment. We meet with Hopkins RO next week. They have treated 4 cases in this manner at Hopkins; 3 are currently in treatment, and the 4th has been NED for 6 months. This is a bit of an out-of-the-box approach that seems to be based on the following facts:
1. only one met (had subcarinal node been involved, chances were slimmer that they would try this)
2. metastasis apparently only in lymph system (not in blood) (as demonstrated by clear CT scan)
3. met is very small (under 1 cm)
4. I am not sure if HPV + plays into it.

So we have followup meetings with 2 of the 3 second opinion practices next week.

Best to all,
Mary

Last edited by Mary40000; 07-07-2013 03:08 PM. Reason: clarification

Mary
Caregiver to husband, 60
Dx Sept '12 SCC BOT T2N2aMo, Stage IV, HPV+
Oct '12 Sub.Gland transfer
Nov-Dec '12 IMRT x 33 + cisplatin x7
March '13 PET/CT: 2 spots on lungs; (BOT & neck lymphs NED)
April '13 Biopsy: 1 = malignant right hilar lymph (met from HNSCC)p16
9/13: 33 rounds IMRT to lungs; carboplatinx7
CT w/contrast 12/30/13: 2 spots left hilar lymph. biopsy confirms SCC
30 rounds IMRT to left lung; treatment ended 5/29/14
Sept 2014--CT clear; December 2014 CT clear
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck and do keep us posted.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hopkins sounds like a good prospect so glad the news isn't as grim as you thought at first.. Fingers crossed for a cure. Hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Best of outcomes! In situations like this, a a CCC known for cancer is the place to be. Sometimes I feel the "got to CCC" is a bit overdone in that a majority of the common HPV+ OC we see here can be treated by competent non CCC providers. Just my own opinion as one who got excellent service throughout outside a CCC system.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com

I think similar Don. I have local doctors, and ones at the top CCC hospitals in Manhattan. If I stuck with my local oncologist initially, as planned, I would probably be cured by now. Major CCC can be too aggressive, and was warned of this. It probably works in most cases, but not all, like myself. For complicated cases, a CCC is probably better.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

Thanks for the well-wishes. Had appt with RO this past week. We were told that 10 years ago, this situation would have presented a whole different story re: treatment. HPV has changed all that, so to correct my explanation above, HPV obviously is playing a part in decision to zap this thing with radiation. Planning scan (simulation) next week. Paul and Don, to follow on what you said, we had amazingly excellent care at a non-CCC facility for the initial round of treatment (back when it was a slam dunk 80%-90% cure). If it weren't for this unexpected turn of events, there would not now be this need to move to a CCC that has seen many more such cases.
Best to all,
Mary

Mary
Caregiver to husband, 60
Dx Sept '12 SCC BOT T2N2aMo, Stage IV, HPV+
Oct '12 Sub.Gland transfer
Nov-Dec '12 IMRT x 33 + cisplatin x7
March '13 PET/CT: 2 spots on lungs; (BOT & neck lymphs NED)
April '13 Biopsy: 1 = malignant right hilar lymph (met from HNSCC)p16
9/13: 33 rounds IMRT to lungs; carboplatinx7
CT w/contrast 12/30/13: 2 spots left hilar lymph. biopsy confirms SCC
30 rounds IMRT to left lung; treatment ended 5/29/14
Sept 2014--CT clear; December 2014 CT clear
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Just to put it on the record now that three of you have posted this. OCF's position is that patients should find the best institution, with the highest independently established ratings to be treated at. This is historically large NCI designated CCC's, that have greatest access to clinical trials, doctors that see far more patients with a particular disease than those in a regional hospital, and have funding for the most modern equipment, and so on. (Full disclosure on how hospitals are rated can be found on the US New and World Report Hospital rating criteria) There is peer reviewed published work (story in the OCF news feed) which has looked at the outcomes from these institutions compared to smaller regional hospitals, and those peer reviewed studies show superior outcomes from the bigger CCC's. This does not mean that there are not good doctors at smaller institutions, so do not misinterpret this. This is based on clinical outcomes, looked at through a scientific, non subjective process.

I could not be more pleased that the three of you had great outcomes, as many people who go to smaller institutions do. But when the crap hits the fan, and your disease takes an unexpected negative turn, I would like to be with a team that has seen that unexpected event hundreds if not thousands of times vs. just a few. I would like to have access to clinical trial drugs that are not available at smaller institutions. All that said, the bulk of people in the US do not have the luxury of getting to choose what their HMO, insurance region and carrier, or personal finance dictates. That is the reality. So, IF, IF, someone has the ability to go to an institution with a higher clinical outcome rating, and the assets to make that possible, OCF will always recommend that patients go to one.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

[quote]All that said, the bulk of people in the US do not have the luxury of getting to choose what their HMO, insurance region and carrier, or personal finance dictates. That is the reality. So, IF, IF, someone has the ability to go to an institution with a higher clinical outcome rating, and the assets to make that possible, OCF will always recommend that patients go to one.[/quote]The reason I wanted to express my satisfaction with the non-CCC options is exactly your point. There are many insured under plans with limited options and CCC may not be an option. Many are under-insured and even uninsured - pushing for a CCC only adds stress and feeling inadequate and worse that will be under-treated or receive substandard car via other options.

This is NOT the case. Most, if not all, medical professionals and institutions in the USA follow standard of care guidelines. So, you will receive adequate care for all things "standard".

Even if you have access to a CCC via out-of-network options under your coverage, the financial costs can overly burden ones financial abilities. Some here are quite emphatic about going to a CCC, to the degree, one should be willing to go bankrupt to afford out of pocket CCC cost. I offer that one can get just as solid outcomes via non-CCC if you keep your eyes open and nose sharp.

In my case, having the run of the mill scc stg4 HPV+ with known BOT primary, it seemed fairly pedestrian for the typical ENT,MO,RO, etc. Even though my team was not under the same roof, it was a team and my case went through a tumor board just the same as a CCC. My request to attend was granted and it was very impressive to sit around a table of 15 professional, doctors and other med. pros, all fixated on my MO presenting my case and reviewing and discussing the finer points of the reports and diagnosis, etc.

My surgeon ENT did his fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Institute. My RO is individually recognized in the latest US News ratings. The facility where I received services is recognized by US News, just not a CCC and rated one notch lower mostly due to not being a teaching/research facility; vital if you have something unusual or where standard of care does not seem appropriate. My MO is the least experienced but very passionate about healing me and I know he did a lot of extra research just to ensure he was on solid footing. I am trilled with them all.

I'm just offering out to those that you can get great care and outcomes via non-CCC and as Brian states the reality in today's health insurance market puts CCC alternatives out of reach for many but that does not doom one to a death sentence. don

Last edited by donfoo; 07-13-2013 08:32 AM.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I'm not sure why we are having this discussion. Everything being said is a forgone conclusion. Go to the best place you can based on insurance, HMO and personal ability.

All things in the US are not equal, and some do not meet and treat to standards. In all things there is a bell curve, some great, some horrible, and the bulk in the middle. As to saying that any cancer is a run of the mill thing, I personally think that is a mistake. No one knows enough about it all when they get diagnosed to make that decision. No one knows if in their particular case something catastrophic is going to change in the middle of treatment. No one knows if they are someone that is going to be unresponsive to conventional established treatments and need something outside the box that may only be available in a clinical trial center. There are a lot of "no one knows" when you are a non medical person who just got a cancer diagnosis.

I don't think anyone here has beliefs that are outside all this until I read that someone thought that a CCC might "over treat a patient" That comment needed correction. More than that we all agree. We are all locked into certain choices given our services that we can afford, or systems we are in. That is the reality of the situation and in the US that is not going to change.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics