Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

i am a 31 year old male with no previous history of a serious illness and i only smoke/drink socially

It all began when i got really sick and had a very swollen throat 4 months ago which i did not have checked. Since then I've had a sore throat that comes and goes. First it began as a discomfort(no pain) when swallowing saliva. I went to an ENT and after taking some allergy and anti-inflammatory medication it went away but in its place i had a sore throat on the right side of my throat. I visited again and was prescribed a 3 day antibiotic. After that it didn't go away so i visited another ENT who said i may have lemphadenitis and prescribed different antibiotics for 1 week. The throat pain ceased and in its place i got a clicking whenever i swallowed.

Then i had tooth-work done to fix 2 frontal teeth and i have been stitched and taking different antibiotics to prevent infection since last week. So, now the clicking when i swallow is almost gone but again i have throat pain which comes and goes, again on the right side. Also, i have noticed that 2 of my lymph nodes seem a bit hard on the right side of my neck in the back but not enlarged enough to show without searching for them. The lymph node(or that's what i think it is) next to my larynx feels soft and painful to the touch but not enlarged either. I generally feel the right side of my throat a bit sensitive and since a couple of days ago i wake up with a sore Jaw at the right side next to my ear which seems to be persisting and i have had a stiff neck since months ago but this may be due to me sitting on the computer for long hours due to my work.

So far i have had 2 Laryngoscopies which showed nothing and had allergy/anti inflammatory and 3x types of antibiotics over the span of a month and a half.

The set of symptoms i have has been persisting or changing throughout a period of 4 months. Apart from those i haven't observed any other symptoms. Both ENT that i visited suggested that it can be related to allergies and one of them mentioned lemphadenitis and said that if my second row of antibiotics doesn't help i should do an ultrasound/biopsy. So, in a few days i'll have an ultrasound or MRI if i don't see any improvements with my issues.

I fear that this could be something serious, like oral cancer.

Anyone experiencing a similar set of symptoms or have an idea on what could be causing them?
Also, What information would be revealed from the MRI or ultrasound and which one would you suggest that i do?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by athosprv; 05-10-2013 02:53 AM.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

MY only advice is to STOP SMOKING, socially or not!!!!!! Do you know how many people come to this site and end up DIEING because they smoked??? Stop and see if that helps.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

[quote=davidcpa]MY only advice is to STOP SMOKING, socially or not!!!!!! Do you know how many people come to this site and end up DIEING because they smoked??? Stop and see if that helps. [/quote]

Thanks for your advice smile. When i mentioned smoking i meant once a week or even more rarely. Off-course now it's out of the question.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It sounds to me like a rampant infection however push until you be a definitive answer you are not too young to have cancer - not that I think it is but jut that some drs think that it's an older person's smokers and drinkers disease.good luck on the MRI.. Which btw is better than an ultrasound...

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]It sounds to me like a rampant infection however push until you be a definitive answer you are not too young to have cancer - not that I think it is but jut that some drs think that it's an older person's smokers and drinkers disease.good luck on the MRI.. Which btw is better than an ultrasound... [/quote]

Thank you for the response.

General question: Do symptoms of oral cancer come and go from one day to another? For example, yesterday my throat was giving me a lot of pain but today i can barely feel it. I am planning to have a scan regardless..

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

No usually oral cancer symptomology is persistent - though some are actually painless. This isn't 100% of course because with cancer there are no absolutes and we are all individuals. But cancer generally doesn't "get better" do have the scan it should highlight any areas of trouble. Best of luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

[quote=athosprv]

General question: Do symptoms of oral cancer come and go from one day to another? For example, yesterday my throat was giving me a lot of pain but today i can barely feel it. I am planning to have a scan regardless.. [/quote]

My experience was no pain. I first noticed swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck last August that came up with a sinus infection. Two rounds of antibiotics didn't get rid of them. They weren't painful at all, just hard.

I was Dx'd Nov. 30th 2012. At that point the glands were approx. 2cm. By the time they did the surgery (Feb 7th - selective neck dissection) they had grown to approx. 5cm. Just prior to the surgery I was feeling discomfort as they were putting pressure on areas inside my neck. I could feel a fullness and some slight pain on a regular basis but up until that point, other than seeing the swelling, there was no pain.

"T"

Last edited by fishmanpa; 05-12-2013 02:10 PM.

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
OP Offline

[quote=fishmanpa][quote=athosprv]

General question: Do symptoms of oral cancer come and go from one day to another? For example, yesterday my throat was giving me a lot of pain but today i can barely feel it. I am planning to have a scan regardless.. [/quote]

My experience was no pain. I first noticed swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck last August that came up with a sinus infection. Two rounds of antibiotics didn't get rid of them. They weren't painful at all, just hard.

I was Dx'd Nov. 30th 2012. At that point the glands were approx. 2cm. By the time they did the surgery (Feb 7th - selective neck dissection) they had grown to approx. 5cm. Just prior to the surgery I was feeling discomfort as they were putting pressure on areas inside my neck. I could feel a fullness and some slight pain on a regular basis but up until that point, other than seeing the swelling, there was no pain.

"T"

[/quote]

were your glands visible when you discovered them?

Thank you

[quote=athosprv][quote=fishmanpa][quote=athosprv]
were your glands visible when you discovered them?

Thank you [/quote]

In August when I first felt the swollen glands, you couldn't see them unless I tilted my head a certain way. By November when I was Dx'd you could clearly see them. By February before the surgery it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck. It was as if once the cancer was discovered, it got pissed off and started growing rapidly.

Did the ENTs you went to do a fine needle biopsy?

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
OP Offline

[quote=fishmanpa][quote=athosprv][quote=fishmanpa]

In August when I first felt the swollen glands, you couldn't see them unless I tilted my head a certain way. By November when I was Dx'd you could clearly see them. By February before the surgery it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck. It was as if once the cancer was discovered, it got pissed off and started growing rapidly.

Did the ENTs you went to do a fine needle biopsy?

"T"[/quote]

hey T,

I just returned from my ultrasound test. The radiologist there scanned all the area of my front neck and thyroid and i also pinpointed the location where i thought that my lymph nodes are hard, so he scanned there as well.

He said that it looks like nothing serious; just a small inflammation of my lymph nodes and that an infection, especially if viral could take a long time to heal.

I have scheduled to see my ENT later today to show him the ultrasound scans. My guess is that i will be prescribed another round of antibiotics.

I have not had a fine needle biopsy yet but its on my mind...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users