Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

On Saturday in Chattanooga is the OCF walk hosted by a 3 time OC survivor. I will be speaking at the event. Im hoping anyone who lives within a reasonable driving distance will make it a point to come out and help show their support for OCF. If you can make it to this event or even another walk you will help to make a difference. Its an amazing feeling when survivors get together!

Chattanooga Walk

Here is the link for all the OCF events. This does not include all the free screenings going on all over the country.

OCF's 2013 Walks

If you cant get to a walk but would like to donate, thats always appreciated too. I have an ongoing personal campaign for donations to OCF. Here is the link for my fundraiser.

ChristineB's fundraiser page

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I finally got to meet our Awesome Christine at the Chattanooga Awareness Walk! I can see why she is in such demand as a speaker! The weather was cool but the warmth and friendliness that radiated from everyone there more than made up for the unusually cool weather. One of the doctors gave a great talk and demonstration of how to make a self oral exam � kind of like a self breast exam except in your mouth and neck area! What a great event and kudos to Jeanna Richelson, Susan Lauria and everyone who made it possible! That includes those who can�t make it to a Walk but donate to the Oral Cancer Foundation. Just know that no matter the size of your donation, you are helping to save someone�s life.

That famous line from a poem by John Milton comes to mind: �They also serve who only stand and wait� could be changed to: �They also serve who only stand (or sit) and donate to OCF.�

I�ve always been grateful more than words can say for all the kind and caring OCF people who helped my son survive his oral cancer. I�m also grateful to those who donated to OCF and to them I have to say: Thank you. You helped save my son�s life and that is no small thing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thanks for the kind words, Anne-Marie! It was wonderful to finally meet you (and your daughter) in person after being with you on the forum for 6 years.

The walk was a bit soggy but it still was a wonderful day. There were many survivors who attended. Some people drove for hours to attend this event. Even Nicki whop hosts the Nashville walk drove down for it with her mother and sister. Jeanna hosted a terrific event, everyone left with a smile on their face. Southern hospitality at its best!

From one 3 time survivor to another (Jeanna), thank you and well done! smile

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Christine:

I knew you would be a hit at the Walk, you always are. I am glad you got to meet in person OCF members who you have helped over the years. I so wanted to make it there, but couldn't, and I am so sorry. It was less than 2 hours from my house. I pray that I will meet you in person at another Walk in the future because I admire you and all you do for OCF.

Hugs from julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
OP Offline

Julieann, its ok! You were with us in spirit. Im so sorry you are not feeling well. It must be awful to feel so bad every single day for years.

I always appreciate all your support over the years. Im hoping one day you will be able to attend one of the walks. You would have loved being there with Anne Marie, her daughter and me doing the cake walk. I actually was lucky enough to win a huge cake! I dont think cake travels well and I cant eat cake so Anne Marie took it off my hands.

For survivors it really is a life changing event when you get to meet other survivors in person. Just being among others who understand the horrors of what you have been thru without any explanation is an amazing feeling. At some walks people drive for hours to attend. I strongly feel all survivors should make it a point to attend one of the OCF walks even if they only can make it to a walk one time, it is definitely worth the trip.

One day my friend you will get to a walk and we will get to meet up in person smile

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

Julieanne - I sure hope you do make it to Chattanooga next year. Christine is right about what an amazing feeling it is to be with other survivors and caregivers, too. I talked to a lovely woman while waiting for my cancer screening. She told me she had 5 daughters and one had passed away from cancer. I know the anxiety that comes when your child gets cancer but to lose a child or a loved one to this horrible disease - well, there are no words to express the sorrow I feel for those who have had to bear this unimaginable loss. Makes we want to shout out to everyone to have their children vaccinated - Get the Gardasil shot! ! Please ! !

BTW - The cake that Christine mentioned - It really was huge and the most delicious carrot cake I've ever tasted. All the baked items were made by employees of Siskin Steel & Supply. Most of the cake is in my freezer waiting for company coming to enjoy it. (They better come soon because I keep cutting off little pieces to taste/eat) There were so many nice raffle items, too. And the band was awesome! So all I have to say to everyone in my very best Southernized Yankee accent is, "Y'all come on down next year, y'hear?!"

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Christine and Anne Marie: You are right, Christine. I was there in spirit. All day Saturday I thought about how much fun you guys were having actually getting to meet each other. I WILL do it some day and so looking forward to it. Anne Marie: I bet that cake is slowly dissolving in your freezer. Save the crumbs for guests wink Pray to meet you both some day - that's on my bucket list.

Hugs from julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile

Julieann - Half of the cake is coming out of the freezer and going to a family Mothers Day celebration. The other half has been slowly disappearing and calls to me every time I pass the refrigerator.

Anne-Marie

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics