Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160797 01-24-2013 02:02 PM
Sorens Offline OP
OP Offline

On January 2, I had my regular teeth cleaning at the dentist and they noticed a good-sized white spot on the underside of my tongue. I remembered it from a few months back as being sore, but it went away after a week or so (figured it was a canker sore) and I forget about it. My dentist did a brush biopsy and it came out fine.

In the meantime, my husband and I thought we should play it safe and I scheduled an appointment with an ENT to check it out. Since then, it's started hurting a bit and has a teeny tiny "blister" right at the edge. I saw the nurse practioner at work this week for a sore throat and my tongue hurt at the back (different spot). She said it looked like I had a virus (some fluid and slight pain in my ear) and said that should clear itself up.

Of course, now I'm extra worried and wondering how soon I need to get into the ENT. My appointment isn't till Feb. 5. Should I try to move it up or is that soon enough?

(Carrie, 36 year old mom, non-smoker, never drink)

Carrie, 36, mom to two awesome little boys!, worried about spot on tongue
brush biopsy by dentist negative
excision of lesion and biopsy 2-7-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

If you can move it up, do so. If not, waiting till then will be OK.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

HI Carrie,

Welcome to OCF. You are being really proactive and that is about all you can do until you get further appt. The hardest part of all this is the waiting and not knowing. That said, you are moving really fast as it is barely a month and you are already scheduled for an ENT visit.

Many get throw a script or two of antibotics then when things don't clear up get a referral. You have cut that lag out so be comforted and 5 Feb will be here before you know it. Until then just be pleased you found it early and following up on it.

Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I would suggest you call the ENT's office around 9:30 or 10am. Ask if there have been any cancellations that you could get your appointment moved up. Ive had really good luck with calling around that time of day as most cancellations calls wont happen immediately when the office opens. If they cant move it up thats still ok as Feb 5th is not that long of a wait.

A regular biopsy will tell what the spot is. There are many things like luekaplakia, lichen planus or dysplasia that this could be as oral cancer usually doesnt disappear. Hope it turns otu to be nothing serious!

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Sorens Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for all the feedback. I think I'll wait till next Monday (it's crazy snowy here and I don't want to go out again if I don't have to) and call for any cancellations. I'm glad to know that waiting till Feb. 5 would be okay, too. My husband wants to come with me to my appointment and I'm not sure if he could make if I slip into a cancelled spot.

I rinsed with salt water last night and that really helped with the little blister I had on my tongue. It's still there, but not as irritated. I still have the large white spot that started this all.

I really appreciate finding this board. Thank you!

Avoid rinsing with any mouthwash which contains alcohol (most do contain it). If rinsing with salt water, try mixing 16 oz warm water with 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking soda. This will help neutralize the ph balance in your mouth and also help heal sores too. Rinse several times per day.

Its a good idea to take someone with you to any major appointment. Waiting til the 5th would be ok. If they want to do a biopsy, make sure the doc does a regular one not just a fine needle one.

Good luck!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there - hopefully it's nothing but best to have it checked asap - with regards to waiting - if a cancellation opens up take it. chances are your are looking at an initial appointment so he/she may have to schedule you for a biopsy if the dr. thinks it needs one (hopefully not)- which may take a week or two to book. So then that could end up being a month from now - then you have to wait for results (this is when your hubby or loved one needs to be there) - which is another week possibly 2 - this puts you possibly six weeks from now - that to me is too long. If you get a clear - at that point then go celebrate, but if it is ca - then you have to have scans, and blood work, then possibly (if its a tongue cancer then likely) a surgery - and that depends on drs. Availability - and whether you decide to go to a cccc and see someone who deals with Oral cancer all the time - this can take more time. So now you're looking more than two months from the beginning of this ordeal - and other than get a diagnosis you've done nothing in terms of treatment - about it - IMHO that's too long. Hopefully its nothing but deal with it as soon as possible and make sure the person you're seeing is experienced with OC so they don't blow you off. (Some ENTs think - if you have no risk factors (heavy smoking - heavy drinking - older person) then it can't be - well surprise - the demographic has changed young people in their 20s have been diagnosed - and they've no precursors for the disease. Deal with this quickly - clear results will eliminate the stress and fear sooner - and knowing sooner rather than later gets the ball rolling if its bad news. Hugs and hoping its nothing.

Last edited by Cheryld; 01-25-2013 08:41 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Sorens Offline OP
OP Offline

I had my ENT appointment yesterday. The doctor doesn't think it's cancer but wants to do a biopsy to be sure. He also used a scope of some sort, I forgot to ask the name, and put a thin tube down my nose to look at my throat and such. All of that was fine, but I was surprised at how much it hurt.

He gave me the choice of a small biopsy in office or a complete removal of the spot with general anesthesia. I opted for the 2nd and I'm scheduled for Thursday morning. I was glad he could get me in for that so soon. I feel a bit like a wimp because I picked general anesthesia mostly because I was getting lightheaded and nervous just from the scope so I couldn't imagine being still for a biopsy. My husband liked this part better so we could get the whole lesion to be sure.

Of course, I'm still a bit of a basket case because I mentioned the sore tongue and slight earache I've had, but the doctor didn't really address those. I'm just wondering if doctor's tell you it's not cancer even when they think it might be just to calm you down till they know something certain. Did anyone with oral cancer have their doctor tell them before biopsy that's what they thought it was? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi Carrie - It's good you don't have much longer before you have the biopsy. Whatever the doctors say, and they are all different in their approach or experience, but it can't be known for sure if a suspicious area is cancer until a biopsy says it is. Don't ever feel like a wimp - you have been and still are very courageous for taking the positive steps you have. You have a husband to support you and two little boys that have helped you to be the courageous person you are! It's good your husband will be with you when you get the biopsy. It always helps to lessen the stress when you have other people with you. It also helps you remember what was said or recommended so you can check back later with each other instead of worrying about something you might have missed that the doctor said. It's ok to be a "basket case" - I sure was and I was only the caregiver! So try to keep busy until Thursday morning, take some deep breaths and hug your babies and your husband. Let us know how it goes on Thursday.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It's best to take it all no wimpiness involved... As for drs. Everyone is different many are up front with you but not all, my first was unconcerned when he should have been - my second was an ass and scared the crap out of me. I'm grateful he biopsied the area but he was a butcher, had no bedside manner and wanted me to wait 28 days (over Christmas while he went away on vacation) to get the results. I pretty much told him hell no - got the results from my family dr. And by the time he got back I had had 2 cts, and MRI and a week later I'd met with the top guy at the top cancer center in Canada - one month later I had surgery. Fingers crossed its nothing!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users