Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Hi Folks,

Just responding to what my RO does for holidays. He opens up the Sunday before the holiday and treats that day. He firmly believes that not getting Tx 5 of 7 days each week negatively impacts results. I do not have treatment tomorrow (New Years Day) but was treated this past Sunday to make up.

Ray

Ray

SCC Right Pharangeal wall Stage IV HPV+
T1-2N2bMO
Dx 10/12/2012
Father for the second time to 2nd beautiful boy 11/2/12
Port Implanted 11/20/12 - no feeding tube
Tx - 11/26/12 35 IMRT Rads 5X/week Weekly Cisplatin
Last treatment 1/15/13
"Grind it out, I will be cured as I have too much to live for"
Stacey Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks for the feedback and support. He has 12 RT remaining I think. It's all in my diary. I told him a few days ago that I was trying to be conscious of things and not make his feel less manly. He told me that he said he was taking a hit to his ego. That was my mistake so I wanted to clear that up.

The MO had told him that he didn't want him to lose more than 10% of his body weight. He is at that point now and if he sticks to his schedule then he should finish 2 weeks from tomorrow.

The ENT (very 1st Dr that did the surgery) said that he might lose his voice. The RT's have changed the way that area feels in the last few days. He hardly spoke above a whisper a couple of days ago and I think it worries him a lot. The MO had the opposite opinion but you can't help but worry about voice loss.

He's very fatigued now.

We have an appt with the MO tomorrow and hopefully learn more then. I am semi-worried because they called us and asked for the appt. They said they wanted to clear up any confusion. This MO told my husband that he would recover, be fine, no mention of Stage IV etc. My husband thought it was 'preventive radiation treatment only' based on the MO statements. When I brought this subject up to the RO (when he was in the hospital) then we received the MO call asking for an appt to clear up some issues that the RO had emailed the MO about. If the MO chooses to be honest now (AFTEr the missed RT's) then I hate to even guess what price my husband will have to pay for that poor judgment.

Stacey (Caregiver to Husband)
Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found
IMRT x 33 (Started RT late 11/12)
CT Scan and PET Scan Clear 4/13

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Re loosing the voice. Most of us do loose it temporarily. I think (it's been sooo long ago)I lost mine for only a few days to possibly a week. MY wife gave me a bell and a note pad to communicate. To this day my wife says that was the BEST part of my Tx and I have never seen that bell again.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Good luck with the appointment!!!

I lost my voice for a couple weeks. Its very common to lose your voice so hopefully this is one less worry you will have.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Stacey, May I suggest that you go to the meeting with the MO with a list of questions, e.g. Is the radiation preventative or is it treatment, what grade/stage the tumour is at, etc. the kinds of questions that you believe your husband needs to hear, so he gets to hear the answers from the horse's mouth .

When you see the RO, one question you could ask is whether the radiation field used in your husband's treatment will impact his voice in the long term or is the voice loss just temporary. Also ask what percentage of the RO's patients have actually lost their voices. Get the doctors to be specific.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My husband lost his voice during treatment as well, very much hoping this is temporary for your husband too. Ana

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
Stacey Offline OP
OP Offline

Most recent update:

He has 4 RT's remaining. The RO told him on Tuesday that 'You have to eat to live'. I think he has lost 25 pounds (from 180 lbs). He is trying to eat Ramen Noodles, French Toast, Egg Drop Soup but no Boost or Ensure. He stopped with the IV fluids last week because he drinks plenty of water (he says).

He meets with the RO on Monday. I will keep you updated. Thank you for your support and this forum.

Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found

He needs intervention with his weight loss, which is multifactal, possibly with an enternal feeding tube, medications, counseling, nutritionist, and speech, swallow therapist evaluation. Doctors get concerned when 10 percent of weight is lost unintentionally, and is considered cachexia or anorexia really, and he lost almost 15 percent. It is shown how one does during treatment, including maintaining weight, can effect prognosis, and too much weigt loss effects negatively, effecting healing, and bodies ability to fight cancer. As you probably know, and heard, he has one shot at this, but it's really up to him to fight or flight. Everyone needs help, and there are meds to increase the appetite, build muscle, reduce inflammation, improve mood, and easy ways to add extra calories to foods, plus other interventions mentioned. Thankfully, he has you by his side.

20 percent of cancer deaths are due to malnutrition from anorexia, cachexia, and cancer. Even 5% weight loss is a concern for some doctor's and clinician's. Here is a link for "Nutrition In Cancer Care PDQ" from the National Institute of Health, with plenty of information regarding thr proper need of nutrition with cancer, during treatment, recovery, therapy assistance, and others.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/nutrition/Patient/page1

Last edited by PaulB; 01-11-2013 09:30 PM. Reason: NIH nutrition link

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Stacey

Sorry I may be missing this, but did the MO ever tell your husband whether the radiation was 'preventative" or treatment?
Like DavidCPA, I was an extremely stubborn patient - one that your husband would probably relate to. Despite what it looks like, it could all turn out okay. Even though late, the radiation treatments really do a job on cancer cells. As for the weight loss, that 10% or 15% weight loss "rule" is just a general guideline with lots of individual exceptions. I had bulked up with lean muscle mass to 177 pounds from my 127 pounds speedy marathon days. I refused the PEG so I lost about 37 pounds. I never had dehydration or any issues except having to put heavy lead weights into vest pockets and wearing combat boots when I got on the RO's scale. (which earned me lots of rebukes when I first joined OCF and was not only proud of it but encouraged others to do the same - I have now repented and renounce that practice and no longer recommend it). I'm up to 142 pounds now 5 years later so it turned out okay.
So it's a shame you have to deal with all this. But there is still hope.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Stacey Offline OP
OP Offline

The RO did tell him that it was not prevention.

We were going for IV fluids but he won't do that now plus he won't let me call the doctor or the dietician. He thinks they can't do anything to help him. I said they could do a nasal feeding tube and he made it clear that he would never do that (in a not so nice way so I left the house for a few hours). He did one Benecal in applesauce (few days ago) and said it is gross so that is done.

He was light headed last night and got sick today. I have tried to explain to him about the proper nutrition/protein/fluids etc. He told the RO this week that Ensure was gross and the RO told him that he needed to try to ignore the bad taste and drink it anyway and that he had to eat to live. The RO did not change his opinion/mindset at all.

He does have a RO appt on Monday morning and hopefully this RO can talk to him.

Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260