Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kerri Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello dear friends,
I apologize for being offline for so long. I finished my treatment on Halloween, but since then, I have had about 4-5 hospitalizations, the most serious one being for neutropenia. Also, for g-tube falling out, and being malpositioned. Pain management, etc. Every time I ended up in the hospital, I felt as though there was another setback and I became more depressed and anxious. I felt like this was the time that I should be getting better, not worse.

So, finally, after multiple problems with PEGs (4 of them), they decided to pull the last one last week because my swallowing is good...the best news that has come so far.

I have my first post-treatment scan coming up on 1/18 and I am terrified, as many people are! I just hope it's gone. I have been waking up with panic attacks at night. I am already on antidepressants and anxiety meds during the day and there are times when I have to wake up to take something at night for breakthrough. I've tried meditation app on my phone that is really good and helps temporarily, and sometimes I do it multiple times in a row, trying to desperately glean something from it. I've even dipped my toe back into prayer, where I consider myself agnostic. I feel like I can't go on like this. When will it stop.

I know no one deserves this cancer at all. Many of us have had no risk factors and still mysteriously gotten the disease, yet I have gotten it twice, two different types, without risk factors. I don't fit into any demographic, so the doctors can't tell me my chances of survival. I ask what my prognosis is and I get the "answer/non-answer" that we've hit you with every treatment we've got. I know the doctors aren't gods and cannot predict the future. All I do know is that I have the best team I can ask for.

I realize this has turned into a huge vent...hysterical in some points...which is partly why I haven't been online. I'm looking for answers that can't be answered.

BTW, my scan is an MRI with contrast. The team feels as though that will give them the best picture of what is happening.

Thanks for listening and always being there for me.

xoxo,
Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Kerri

No apologies necessary. It does seem our future calendars keep synchronizing: my MRI with contrast is Jan 13th and my RO will give his interpretation of it to me on the 18th (when you get the same scan). We will cross this finish line together triumphantly. Believe it !
Congratulations on getting rid of the PEG. As you now know from personal experience, the over rosy picture painted by the pegophiles does not reflect the reality and hassles of the PEG that occur to a substantial minority of us. Sort of adds insult to injury when no one seems to understand about the tube just falling out, etc.((okay, I'm on a PEG rant recently after having to burn off more granulation tissue with silver nitrate sticks which is painful). It really is a major blessing and good sign that you are free of it. You are ahead of me already!
I really understand and get the panic attacks, the unremitting anxiety, the frustrating lack of definite prognosis that are tormenting you. For what it's worth, my caregiver wife is going through almost all of that also as she worries. worries, worries when I cough up a little blood or get really tired or wake up choking in the middle of the night. It's worse for you though since you are so young and have had to go back into the hospital so many times already. Of course you wonder if these feelings will ever end and question how you can go on like this.
All I can say is hang in there. Keep meditating, praying, taking the medications. When I was diagnosed with this third round of cancer, my son bought me a journal whose cover read:
KEEP CALM & CARRY ON. That was a slogan the British government had made posters in advance to be distributed only if the worst catastrophe happened: the Nazi's invaded and occupied England. It was never officially released but has become very popular lately. I repeat it to myself as a sort of mantra right now. There is no denying that our recurrences were catastrophic but we are survivors. We know you can do this. See you at the finish line
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 01-05-2013 08:58 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Sorry to hear of your continued troubles. There are many other risk factors other than Smoking, Alcohol, HPV for SCHNC, although these are major ones, we often don't think about any others. Even with the best diagnosis, treatment, it's difficult for doctors to give a definite answer for chances of survival since each of us are different, and so is cancer, treatment, and include other factors, and maybe even our genes, family history, diet, which is being looked into more. Probably the biggest prognostic factor for survival is tumor size, locoregional lymph node involvement, especially having more than one node involved, so control of these is key to survival since most oral, pharyngeal failures occur locoregiionslly. It's also possible that the tonsil was the primary to begin with, and missed? Anyway, the good thing is your cancer was found early initially, and and 2nd was dealt with accordingly, and did the best you could do. Good luck with the MRI

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kerri,

Vent away darlin', you've earned it for crying out loud. I'm just happy to read this to be honest as I've missed our chats my friend.

This is scary stuff and if you weren't afraid and anxious you wouldn't be human. The best thing I've found for me is to talk about it, get your fears out in the open and into the light where they are often less scary or more easily dealt with. Personally I've always had an irrational fear of golf pants and polyester but have found through therapy that while those things are terrifying, fear is only in my mind, and how I deal with my fear is what is important. Those realizations helped me stop beating up really old guys on the golf course and setting their pants on fire...I've been one of my therapists greatest success stories.

smile

Sorry I wouldn't be me if I didn't try to make you laugh.

Love you lady!

Eric

P.S. still working on Dan's book review, I've been buried with a new project but I'll get there!

Last edited by EricS; 01-05-2013 09:58 AM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Kerri Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, dear friends!

Charm: You are the voice of reason and I can always relate to you. You make be feel better. Your experience with this disease and your plethora of valid scientific information about this disease makes me happy...science and a well-designed study is rocks.

Paul: Thank you for your honest and down-to-earth view of this cancer. There ARE so many factors that play into WHY we get it. The problem is that so many of us want to know the exact cause. Not having answers is frustrating for both patients and the medical community, as well. Thank you for the well-wishes on the MRI. I know the cancer was caught early, but my surgeon erred on the side of caution and "upstaged" me so as to make sure that I got a very aggressive treatment plan. Let's hope the treatment did it's job.

Eric: You always make me LOL or put a smile on my face. I can always count on you for that, so thank you. I'm going to be thinking of golf pants all day!

BTW, I have been having hoarseness for a few weeks now. My doctors scoped me after having it for 8 days. I have to say that it's better and some days are better than others, I think with how much I use my humidifier. They said they could see 2 small areas of leukoplakia on my vocal cords. They said not to worry and they will keep a hawks's eye on it. Looking it up, I know that I have many risk factors for it. They said "don't worry about it, but I know you will". Haha...they know me!

love to you all!
Kerri

T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Kerri,I so understand. As a caregiver I worry at every little thing. We are coming up to the time post surgery (in months ) that Kris's reoccurrence occurred post radiation. Frankly I am terrified. Are we about to be hit again?
I'm sure this is normal behaviour for us all. You have done so well , despite many setbacks. Like Charm I'm sure your MRI will be all good.
Life just has to get better. Thinking of you,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
Kerri Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, Tammy. You are very sweet and I'm sorry that you are a worry wart like me. It tend to get a little crazy, but I had anxiety problems at baseline. Throw in some life crisis and I'm off and running.

I hope that all goes well for all of us. You and Kris will be in my thoughts, meditations, and prayers.

We are not alone.

Love,
Kerri

T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

So glad to see you are healing and out of the hospital! You sure had a long rough road!!! Best wishes with your upcoming scan. After what you went thru and your vigilant doctors Im sure it will turn out to be good news.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi, I just wanted to jump in. I had a reoccurance in Nov 11. Spent most of December in the hospital for pnemonias. I have an MRI on 1/11 to see why there is so much pain from the neck Dx. My CT scan is set for Feb 12. Hope all goes well for you guys.
Robin

10/10 IV OSCC metastatic to lymph nodes. 10/10 Peg,Port,Trech. due to rad scarring cannot swallow. 9/12 Pet clean. SCC back again 11/12. Tumor attached to jugular, Rad DX left side of neck 11/19/12. No Chemo or Rads. MRI on 1/11/13 for chronic pain w/pet scan 2/15/13.

Kerry:

So glad to hear your update, but sorry you had so much trouble, especialy with the PEG tube. Glad you're rid it it now - that in itself is a huge accomplishment. I keep up with your posts and have prayed for you and will continue. As far as being scared for your upcoming scan on the 18th (PRAYERS), I'm one of the biggest wimps on the Forum when I have a scan, MRI, or other testing. You should read my whining! Let us know how all goes and hopefully 2013 will be better for all of us.

Hugs from julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users