Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sdk563 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, I am new to your community and after researching online about symptoms, I see this place seems to be the most knowledgeable/respectful of the communities that I have come across. I apologize in advance as I know many have asked you questions regarding your opinions on their situations in the past, and I know that nobody can diagnose anything online.

However, I have been able to take a picture of a spot that I have noticed on my gum, right below my canine tooth. I don't know if this is a normal part of the anatomy or not, and I recently saw my dentist just 16 days ago and he gave me a thorough OC exam with no problems reported. However, this spot that I noticed Friday has provided me with little sleep as I am a hypochondriac.

I am 29 years old, drink socially, never smoked, and have unfortunately used some smokeless tobacco in the past 2 years on/off (mostly the "safer" Swedish Snus, even though no tobacco is safe). An by used, I mean I have never been a daily user would often go 2+ months in between. However, this does pose me at more of a risk I'd imagine than if I never engaged in this behavior before.

Thank you for any opinions. I will get this checked out if it doesn't go away in 2 weeks, however I don't think I can handle 2 sleepless weeks and hoping that this can provide me some temporary relief.
[img:center]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/mouthi.jpg/[/img]

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

First, get rid of the tobacco for good. There are all kinds of chemicals added to tobacco which can and will irritate your mouth.

To me it appears as if its just a thinner section of your gums which is making it so you are able to see some of the tooth. Do you know how long this has been there? Is it painful?

If its still there follow up with an experienced ENT. RELAX! Worrying wont change anything, it will only get you upset.

Take a look at the photo gallery and click on each photo. Try to see if you can guess which ones have serious problems and then click on diagnosis and you will be surprised that what sometimes looks the worst isnt that serious.
OCF image gallery

Hope its nothing!

Last edited by ChristineB; 11-11-2012 09:04 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
sdk563 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the response. I have replaced the occasional tobacco use that I used for stress relief with exercise and quit using the "I don't have time" excuse. It's an unhealthy disgusting habit and I know better. Like I said, I've used on/off for 3 years tops (closer to 2.5) and never continuously. Maybe during a stressful week or two then a 2 month hiatus, etc...

Anyway, enough with excuses. I appreciate your response, and from the link you sent me, you are right, it is impossible to tell just by looking at it. I brushed my teeth a little too hard a couple days ago along the gumline of that tooth and when I was looking in the mirror is when I discovered it. I don't know if it has always been there or not, I've never really paid attention. But when you get to googling "white spot on gum", well, you can imagine what pops up.

I don't know if it is thinning of the gum or if it is on top of the gum. I would think that my dentist would have noticed this 2 weeks ago when I saw him for my Oral Exam and cleaning. I have a bit of dull pain when I touch near the gum that I brushed too hard still. Doesn't hurt to eat/chew on it though.

I guess I should just go back to my dentist... Just don't want to be looking too paranoid considering I was just in his office 2 weeks ago. Don't know how likely that something could have popped up out of nowhere in that 2 week window but what do I know?

On a side note... After spending a day googling the awful effects of Oral Cancer and what everyone in this community must have gone through, my heart goes out to each and every one of you. I truly hope everyone beats this awful disease. With all the talk of Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, etc... It is terrible that this one goes under the radar considering the devastating effects and how quickly it seems to be able to spread.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Just go back to your dentist. Make the appt now and perhaps by the appt time it will have resolved itself.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It looks normal to me but definitely have it checked out. And definitely sta away from tobacco products. smile

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
sdk563 Offline OP
OP Offline

Well I saw my dentist today. He looked at it and said it looked like it was just the bone/tooth sticking out and had always probably been there (normal anatomy). He said it was possible I could have scraped my gum a bit from brushing but he doubted that was it, just looked to him like white from the bone being seen through the gum.

I'm still going to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow. Thanks for the responses. Don't know if I should have made him biopsy it or if I'm just being ridiculous/paranoid. He's a Dentist and I'm sure if he thought it was possibly anything more he would have said so. He is pretty thorough.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good news I guess(?). Be your own advocate and do keep an eye on it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

What your dentist said... is what it looked like for me as well. It's always prudent to have stuff checked and do keep an eye on it but if there's no change (getting worse or bigger) then you're probably safe. good news!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics