Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152632 07-31-2012 03:51 PM
Believe Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. My husband just heard from his dermatologist today that the biopsy they did on his chest last week came back as squamous cell carcinoma. George has assured me that the doctor said it is completely treatable with a drug called "FLUOROURACILE" So my question is ....is it common for someone with squamous cell carcinoma - ORAL - to have the SCC show up elsewhere? Is it completely unrelated? George gets a lung xray every year too. Thank you for an input. I appreciate the feedback.

Caregiver to SURVIVOR George; Stage IV SCC no primary; HPV positive;
heavy drinker, moderate smoker; discovered in lymph nodes - surgically removed; dx March '10; PEG tube; 3 bolus cisplatin; 35 radiation treatments completed May 22,2009; Kickass support system
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

HPV is linked to skin cancer, in fact the link was originally found in the 70's if my memory serves me right.

Here's a link

One of the common factors of HPV cancers is a depressed immune system so developing skin cancer after Oral Cancer would make sense considering what the body goes through during treatment and the emotional toll that the experience takes. Anytime stress is involved count on the immune system to tank due to hormone response.

Hope that helps

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 07-31-2012 07:35 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Believe Offline OP
OP Offline

Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns. My first thought was "Oh My God, the HPV is taking over his body!!" I figured that the HPV would have been killed off with the chemo/radiation. If the HPV doesn't leave the system, what would prevent the oral cancer from returning?

Thanks again,
Laurie

Caregiver to SURVIVOR George; Stage IV SCC no primary; HPV positive;
heavy drinker, moderate smoker; discovered in lymph nodes - surgically removed; dx March '10; PEG tube; 3 bolus cisplatin; 35 radiation treatments completed May 22,2009; Kickass support system

My pleasure Laurie, it's what I'm here for my dear. Generally it takes around two years for your body to clear an HPV infection, however it's been found that it actually takes longer to clear HPV 16 which is the usual culprit in Oral, Cervical, Skin, Penile, and Anal cancers.

There is a lot we still have to learn about HPV, transmission, vaccination, treatments etc, however it is believed that it can be bounced back and forth between couples (even if one is testing clear of the virus) for decades and only becomes a problem when the immune system is overtaxed or compromised.

So this is where taking care of yourself through "proper maintenance" is key, exercise and nutrition is paramount, as well as stress management and overall emotional wellbeing. Sadly nutrition and exercise in our society are almost like dirty words or a strange fetish, however they are very important for overall physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.

The more I've researched nutrition the more I understand the importance of it as well as how poorly understood it is among our medical professionals, they are sadly poorly educated on it and are generally a poor resource to turn to, particularly in a cancer patients case.

Making sure that your husband has a good diet with plenty of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and good sources of mono & polyunsaturated fats, keeping the Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids in a close ratio (most Americans are a sad 20/1 or higher where it should be at or below 3/1). Balancing out the diet to close macronutrient ratios (carbs, proteins, fats) and cutting out foods that raise the blood sugar levels, like simple starches, sugars, and processed white flours and other processed foods. Little known fact, 20% of all cancer deaths are caused by malnutrition, not the cancer nor the treatment of.

Many also discount the effects of physical exercise, which is very important in balancing hormone levels, particularly cortisol and testosterone (studies show physical exercise is as effective as antidepressants at treating depression), circulation, cardiovascular health, lean muscle mass percentage (studies show that there is a direct correlation between lean muscle mass percentage and survival rates in cancer). There are other countless benefits to physical activity however it is paramount to keeping a healthy immune system.

Lastly there are natural plants and herbs used as "home remedies" that have been shown in small studies to be effective antivirals, however PLEASE NOTE that any supplement, herb or any home remedy should be discussed with your physician before using.

Turmeric, Lemon Balm, Astragalus, Echinaechea, Olive Leaf Extract, Pau D'Arco are all well known antivirals that have been used in Chinese and herbal medicines for a very long time. There is also dangers in using herbs, like Pau D'Arco is toxic in high dosages and all of the above have some interactions with prescription drugs so it's important to research and work with your medical professional if you go this route.

Personally I take some of the above (turmeric, lemon balm, astragalus and a small amount of Pau D'arco) as part of my nutritional regiment however I also work very closely with my Primary Care Provider and am really good friends with my pharmacist...my sister-in-law is also a pharmacist so I use her as a reference too. The University of Maryland Medical Center has a great website as well to research supplements, herbs etc and I use it often.

Hope that helps, keep your chin up smile

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 08-01-2012 03:17 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

In newer to the treatability it is very treatable my father in law HPV neg - but out in the sun alot had a pot on his cheek treated with a cream. He's okay now! wink

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23