Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Howdy all,
I'm new here but I'm desperately seeking answers and help. My uncle was diagnosed with oral cancer. He went to the dentist finally once we saved up enough money to get him seen to remove a tooth that has been bothering him. The dentist said he couldn't remove the tooth because it had a cancerous tumor growing under it. My uncle lives in a small town named yoakum, tx and we live on the outskirts of Houston. We have tried everything to get him help and insurance and we have been turned down everywhere. They won't even give him Medicaid. He is disabled and hasn't been able to work for a long time so no one will help us. Even the trials won't take a chance on him. They say without treatment he has 6 months or less. I have watched my uncle deteriorate and I can not just stand here and let him die without a fight, so please any info or help or tips or anything will be greatly appreciated. His mom (my grandma) passed away last year and we still haven't recovered or finished paying for those expenses.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Only thru a biopsy can a determination of oral cancer be made. Visually a medical professional can suspect it is cancer but they cant know for certain unless a biopsy was done. Also a dentist wouldnt usually know a persons lifespan.

I would try your local county welfare agency as well as calling all the major hospitals. Your uncle's best chance would be at a large cancer center. Huston has MD Anderson which is one of the top ones in the country. Call and talk with them about his situation. Many places have financial aid departments which will work with patients. Even if he has to agree to pay $20 a month until its paid off its worth it.

Here is a link for the top cancer centers.

Good luck!!!!

Cancer Centers

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Here in Fl I regularly get people with no money/no insurance seen and cared for by Moffitt with the assistance of the local County's welfare agency. I agree with Christine, start with MD Anderson and ASAP.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Sorry I guess I misworded some things, the dentist said he couldn't pull the tooth because of the tumor and he had to go to several doctor visits and take some test and such and after that is when we found out it was cancer.

Thank you for the advice. smile we are doing the best we can and trying to contact everyone.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Is he on Social security disability? Ron has been on since 2007 and has had Medicaid/Medicare ever since. I got him on right away and I must have been a lucky one that it was so easy and I had no problems at all. I went and did it myself first went to Social Security office when Ron was in hospital right after he came out of his coma and than went to welfare agency and got him on that too. He had no insurance either and I just took him right to Cleveland Clinic emergency when he had his Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and they have been taking care of him ever since Jan 13 2008!

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
Ina Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle's situation. We are also faced with the same problem. We just paid off our personal loan from her last surgery and now my husband and siblings got another personal loan to fund their mother's surgery 10/10/12.

Sometimes decisions are made because of the lack of funds, and that is the most painful reality for your family and our family.

We hope and pray that you will get financial help from different charitable organizations. God bless and wish the best for him and your entire family.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23