Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ina Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello to everybody,

My mother-in-law (age 72) was first diagnosed with oral cancer - tongue cancer in January 2010. She never smoked in her life. In March 2010, she had surgery to remove 1/2 of her tongue. The cancer was found on the right side of her tongue. She did not undergo radiation or chemotherapy. The doctor believed that he removed all the cancer in her tongue and when they did a biopsy of the lymph nodes and did not find any cancer cells.

Last May 2012, she noticed a lesion on her right gum but she did not pay attention to it. She has so overwhelmed about her cataracts that needed surgery. In July 2012 all the issues concerning her eyes were taken cared of. August 2012, she noticed a lump on the lesion on her gums which was a size of a marble. She went to her dentist to have it checked. The dentist advised her to see her oncologist. September 2012, the biopsy of her lesion revealed squamous cell carcinoma. Immediately her doctor request an mri of her face. The MRI showed cancer of her jaws, including some dead bones. With that result, the doctor order a CT Scan of her head and half her body. The CT Scan revealed nodules and micro-calsification on her lungs. A sputum test was done. Result showed no infection, no tuberculosis. The nodules were so tiny that it was impossible to do a biopsy.

October 8 she will have her pre-op and October 10 is her actual surgery. Mother-in-law never recovered physically after her tongue surgery. She is 5'4 and weighs 98 lbs. She has hypertension and an enlarged heart. However, due to the request of her children she is willing to under go surgery. The surgery will entail the removal of her right upper jaw, followed by reconstruction. They will remove part of her leg bone and implant that on her jaws. She will be given a month to recover and heal followed by a series of 33 radiations. Rest then chemotherapy to target the lung cancer cells.

The sad part about all of this is that she lives overseas. She has no medical insurance. The children are doing everything to shoulder all the expenses. God is good they will be able to do this.

We are hoping that she will survive the surgery and proceed with her medical treatment. Thank you for reading my post.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF, Ina. So sorry to hear about your mother in law! She sure has alot coming up. I hope she is being treated at a large cancer center that is familiar with oral cancer patients. Is a second opinion possible? The surgery is a big one. Recovery can be hard, but it can be done. With her being so small she needs to begin to get more calories in right away. Daily she should be getting 3000 calories and 48 oz of water. This is very important to build her up before the surgery. Is there Ensure or Boost available where she is? That would certainly be very helpful to her. Best wishes to your mother in law!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Ian,

That's a lot on everyone's plate. Please use this site as often as you want. That's what we are here for. There are many on this site that have had that exact surgey. Christine is correct that she needs to eat as much as possible now.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Ina Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the information. The sad part is that nobody knows the extent of her cancer. The children are scared to know the truth - denial. And if I ask too much questions I am the bad guy. I am different, when my mother had a stroke I read a lot about it and wanted to know what I was facing. My inlaws are different, they are going in blindly.

Based on what I read and the bits of pieces of information I hear, I think her cancer is: T3 (the cancer not only invaded her tongue on 2010; it is recurrent since it came back in her gums and jaw bones), N0 No regional lymph node metastasis (as far as the last biopsy in 2010). M not certain but they found UNIDENTIFIED nodules "dust like" particles or calcifications all over her lungs. I think she is Stage II because on apparent nodules are infected.

My question is could the nodules on her lungs be cancer that metastized. They could not do a biopsy since they are so tiny.

As far as ensure is concerned I know they had to stop giving to her after her partial glossectomy since her blood sugar was going up.

Her current physical condition: 5'4" 98 lbs with hypertension heart problem and high sugar depending on her diet.

Include her in your thoughts her upper right jaw will be removed October 10 and reconstruction to follow.

thanks to all

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Ina Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=davidcpa]Ian,

That's a lot on everyone's plate. Please use this site as often as you want. That's what we are here for. There are many on this site that have had that exact surgey. Christine is correct that she needs to eat as much as possible now.[/quote]

thank you so much David...it has been so stressful for us both emotionally and financially. Most of all it would be good to really know what is going on...ASK QUESTIONS I told them. But nobody is willing to do it. And for an inlaw to voice out her thoughts is a big NO NO!! My comments are being misinterpreted as not wanting to help financially. So I just listen. I always tell my husband that with this kind of disease we have to be knowledgeable, ask questions. Sorry for venting, it has been very very frustrating for me.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there Ina... It would be unusual for the nodules in her lungs (the flecks. That are too small to biopsy) to be cancer - particularly if there is no nodal involvement . 80 % of the population has flecks - it could be environmental crap. My RO scared the poop out of me (actually his med student assistant) read a scan that said insignificant specks in my lungs and after almost having a nervous breakdown - and having talked to two RO's I was told it was likely environmental junk we all have it. My lungs are clear and continue to be. (my family dr. Read the same report that said it was nothing.) but I was nervous aout this for a year! Until my dr. Actually read the report to me.

Radiation and chemo should help. A lot of drs make the mistake of thinking they got it all only to find they didn't - proactive drs. Do the chemo and rads following surgery - especially if there is perineural involvement,

Best of luck to your mother in law. And many blessings.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Ina Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]Hi there Ina... It would be unusual for the nodules in her lungs (the flecks. That are too small to biopsy) to be cancer - particularly if there is no nodal involvement . 80 % of the population has flecks - it could be environmental crap. My RO scared the poop out of me (actually his med student assistant) read a scan that said insignificant specks in my lungs and after almost having a nervous breakdown - and having talked to two RO's I was told it was likely environmental junk we all have it. My lungs are clear and continue to be. (my family dr. Read the same report that said it was nothing.) but I was nervous aout this for a year! Until my dr. Actually read the report to me.

Radiation and chemo should help. A lot of drs make the mistake of thinking they got it all only to find they didn't - proactive drs. Do the chemo and rads following surgery - especially if there is perineural involvement,

Best of luck to your mother in law. And many blessings. [/quote]

We just spoke to my father-in-law and he explained to us everything: My mother-in-law's cancer is as follows: squamous cell carcinoma in her muscle cheeks and Stage II - T2N0M0 in her lower mandibular jaw.

Due to her fragile health they need to admit her 2 days prior to her surgery. She has not been eating solid for quite sometime. We hope and well that she will do well during her post surgery. I will keep all of you posted.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

So glad it's not in her lungs wishing her luck, and prayers for her surgery.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Ina Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]So glad it's not in her lungs wishing her luck, and prayers for her surgery. [/quote]

We are getting anxious since she has a day and 1/2 prior to surgery. Not sure of the extent of the mandibular resection. They said tumor is 2cm could be larger once exposed. Part of her bone is already gone as cancer ate it. She will have a titanium implant and may have a flap coming from her underarm.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It's a tough surgery but he'll get through it if she has good drs. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics