Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SoSad26 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. I posted the other day, but I didn't have much information at the time. Sorry about that. My dad has BOT cancer which spread to lymph nodes in his neck. He didn't have surgery. He had radiation and Erbitux. Treatments ended in February. His first PET scan was clear. We got the results of his 2nd PET scan last week and they said they see some activity in his neck. We see the radiation dr and ENT tomorrow. I would like to know what we can expect. Do you think they'll give us any information at all or are they going to schedule a biopsy and we won't know anymore than we do today? From what I've read, PET scans are good at finding cancer in the lymph nodes. If they say it's cancer in the lymph nodes, how will they treat it? Will that have to be a neck disection? I don't think he can have radiation again because he already had it on both sides of his neck.

Sorry, I know I probably sound frazzled, that's because I am and I've been this way for a week. I read all the posts on here and some of them make me feel better thinking it could be a false positive, then others scare me to death.

I would really appreciate any answers anyone can give me, even if they scare me. I just want to be prepared tomorrow so I can help my dad cope, if needed. Thank you!

Secondary caregive to dad (70 years old). BOT cancer & lymph nodes diagnosed 12/11. 35 rad treatments & 4 erbitux. PEG tube. Non-smoker. Casual drinker.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sorry but no one can give you the answers you seek because we have no idea what your docs will see. Has his original cancer cells been tested for the presence of HPV?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I'm not sure what the answers will be for treatment on this specific reoccurance. I am hoping that it is just a false negative too.

I understand how anxious and scared you must feel not having a definative amswer. Just hang in there and see what the Dr. reccomends and go from there. In the meantime remain positive and strong and mke sure he gets lot sof good rest and nutrition to heal and get better.

Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912