Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ok..one question. What would be a dietary fat? I mean I think of fat as bad. What are you talking here? Honestly you are speaking a language many of us don't undersatnd but I get part of it and know what I do understand I believe cuz' I've seen it in Kevin. He was very muscular when he started tx and even with what they hit him with he did very well. He ate scrambled eggs cooked in butter every day just about the whole way through tx. Sometimes for 2 meals.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I am doing a little experiment of my own. I to cannot handle most of the fruits, bananna's with vanilla yogurt whipped up in the blender is just right for me. I really should't drink anything or eat anything the Doc's say for the rest of my life, but I see most posts that say during treatment swallow at least something. I am thicking my water to chase the smoothy down. I only get about 3 or 4 sips down but to me this is so wonderful I can't explain. I mostly put everything through the peg, but am hoping little by little I will be either a veg which I hear is easier than other type of eaters. So banannas are good for me.

10/10 IV OSCC metastatic to lymph nodes. 10/10 Peg,Port,Trech. due to rad scarring cannot swallow. 9/12 Pet clean. SCC back again 11/12. Tumor attached to jugular, Rad DX left side of neck 11/19/12. No Chemo or Rads. MRI on 1/11/13 for chronic pain w/pet scan 2/15/13.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kathy!!

GREAT QUESTION!!!! Fat isn't bad, in fact you need fat in your diet!!! Just not "Saturated Fats!!" Nuts are full of fat, the good fats poly and mono unsaturated fats and they are fantastic for you! In fact the Walnut is said to be the "healthiest" nut due to the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids and it's antioxidant content!

See you're learning here...it's exciting!!

Olive Oil (just not raised I believe 350 degrees F as that when it becomes bad for you) , flaxseed oil (highest in Omega 3 content for oils I believe) etc are great for you, just know how to cook with them.

FYI, your body can run entirely on a diet of protein and fat and low carbohydrates as it forcing your body to convert fats into fatty acids and keytones for energy instead of carbs, it's called a ketogenic diet AKA the Atkins diet. The benefit of this diet is that instead of notifying the body to burning on simple sugars and making you hungry it instead breaks down the bodies natural "stored" body fat for energy.

This is actually easier to do liquidly and to me seems the perfect way to treat Oral Cancer patients in particularly. It's really the grant proposal I'm working on for OCF to test in a University setting. I'm sharing with you the fruits of my research.

You see if you liquify fresh fruits and vegetables to get your vitamins and minerals (making them easier to digest and absorb in the process and vitamins and minerals in food are easier absorbed then by the Isolate Vitamins & Minerals in the Ensure's and Boosts or vitamin supplements. Add good fat in the form of blended nuts or added oils etc and then add your protein via powders and blend.

This is my diet actually as I don't eat solid foods. Anyone who's seen me has seen the benefits and I have test levels to prove my results to my testosterone levels on this diet have gone up (After treatment I am type 2 hypogonadal meaning radiation damaged either my pituitary or hypothalamus glands to not produce the LH hormone needed to produce testosterone in my boys...yes I just admitted to the fact I have "sexual" dysfunction...but only affecting my sterility...not my ability if you know what I'm saying...you know what I'm sayin laugh

Anyway...keep the questions coming I'm on a roll

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

After reading that I'll explain even more. You see when your body is used to producing energy from simple starches and sugars, when it get's "hungry" it will burn the quickest burning fuel available to it...which is lean muscle mass actually. This is why when you see a starving person or depleted cancer patient they look "flappy" They have stored body fat but no more muscle. If you give your body enough protein and Leucine (amino acid that triggers protein synthesis) it will sustain your lean body mass during treatment.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Kathy the eggs and butter was a great diet by the way. Butter is a medium chain triglyceride that is absorbed differently than most other fats and is readily available for energy without spiking blood glucose levels. The egg is a fantastic source of "the gold standard" of protein (all proteins are measured against that of the egg which if memory serves me right has a biological value of 93). Full of vitamins and minerals too.

"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Fantastic Maestro Eric, your posts are wonderful. I've been following them for a while and I always learn something new. I admit to becoming nutrition obsessed since starting on this voyage. I continue to be horrified by the lack of interest in nutrition from the medical staff.

I'm doing well on nuts and oils, juiced and blended fruit and veg, and probiotic yoghurt. I've moved to only organic diary products. But I am still struggling to get enough protein and complex carbohydrates. I bought a whey protein powder which is horrible so only slowly using it up before trying another one. I can only seem to find large expensive products. I wish the producers would make taster size packs!

Can you give examples of where to get the right nutrients. What is a good source of Lucien? What do you recommend for good complex carbohydrates?

I now need to start upping my muscle building exercise regieme, but I think better start another thread on that, while you are on a roll!

I can't wait to get the OFC app which I think ill be a fantastic resource. At present I am using the MyFitnessPal calorie counter, which is very useful but doesn't always give enough nutrient detail. Cheers Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

OK now focus on old people like Charm and I. Why can't I ride like I could 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago? My weight is the same now that it has been for many decades but my engine just ain't the same. ugh

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

David, you naturally lose 1% of testosterone production per year after the age of 30, then between 1-2% a year after 40. There are ways to promote testosterone production depending on the individual

Sally,

I use FatSecret's app "Calorie Counter" as it gives a good breakdown of your macro nutrients and has a huge database and easy tools etc.

I would recommend taking a BCA (Branched Chain Amino Acid) supplement that you can find at Amazon.com actually (use the OCF Amazon Link as we get a 5% kickback!) as what you are really wanting is Leucine (a BCA) to trigger the synthesis process.

I use oatmeal as a complex carb that I add to my shakes. A typical shake to me will include juiced fruits and vegies, protein powder, oil or nuts, water and oatmeal. I measure and track everything

Oh, David, recovery is also important more now than when you were younger so make sure you are getting plenty of rest. As we age we tend to sleep less and less.

Last edited by EricS; 10-09-2012 08:33 AM.

"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Oatmeal, is excellent I have a large bowl of porridge every morning. Unfortunately I can't use the OFC Amazon link as I'm in the UK. A shame as I buy a lot through amazon.co.uk. Any chance that OFC could arrange the 5% kickback with them.

Sorry Lynne I have gone a long way off track from bananas! Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics