Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154754 09-19-2012 08:52 PM
mlc281 Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi, I'm new to this forum - found whilst 'Dr Googling' (which I KNOW is naughty).

I'm 42yo female in Melbourne, Australia. Last week I had a very nasty tooth ache & was able to get an appointment that day. Thought for sure I had a cavity. Turns out I have a chronic infection in the root of a 21yo root canal. Was referred to an Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon to have the tooth removed (as there is NO WAY I could have this done in the chair - GA all the way for me).

So on Monday I have my appointment. Dr agrees tooth needs to come out. But he was far more concerned with the white patch on the side of my cheek & the side of my tongue.

He wants to biopsy it on Monday.

Now - these 'patches' has been there for quite some time. Thinking at least a couple of years! I know - 'Why didn't I get it seen to 1yr 11 1/2 months ago'! I seriously thought I had it because I tend to bite the inside of my cheek alot (accidently - at least once a day). And the side of my tongue keeps rubbing up against the tooth next to the Root Canal tooth (as it has moved over the years due to the root canal tooth).

The patch on the inside of my cheek looks like 'cottage cheese' that cannot be scraped away. It is about 1.5cm x 1.5cm. There is also a long 'ridge' that is a bit hard. It all seems to line up with where I would bite my cheek.

Now for the shitty bit.

I have smoked all my life. Gave up 3 years ago, only to take it up again 14mths ago. It will be kicked for good this time. I also had the HPV virus 20 years ago (cervical dysplasia). This is not looking good, is it.

I am paralysed with fear. I have 4 kids (18, 16, 13 & 10). I can barely breathe & can't stop crying. I've told nobody at this point. Family know I'm having the tooth removed Monday (24/9), but that's it.

Realistically, what are the chances that this is just Leukoplakia? Benign. NOT BLOODY CANCER!

As I said - I know 'Dr Google' is bad - but geez - the odds aren't looking great.

Any advice will be most gratefully appreciated.

Melissa

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Melissa,

The only way to tell if it is cancer is through a positive biopsy. I Recently had a spot that looked just like yours (I called it cauliflower looking). My ENT looked at it and said it was a classic textbook case of Oral Cancer. I was crushed. I did get a biopsy while I was there and the next day got a call from the doctor that the biopsy was negative for cancer. The white spot was damage done to the tissue by previous radiation.

Infections can weep some toxic gunk that can damage surrounding tissue. Damaged tissue in the mouth can look like white bumpy stuff so you are not in the cancer realm yet. Get a biopsy while you are there if possible and hopefully you will be able to ease your mind. If they can�t do a biopsy, get to an Eye Ear Nose and Throat doctor (ENT) for a biopsy.

Here�s hoping that it�s all just collateral damage from the infection.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Melissa, try to keep yourself busy to take your mind of being so worried. By worrying it wont help you one bit, it will only keep you up at night thinking "what if". Get the biopsy done and about a week later you will know what you are dealing with. IF it would be cancer, you already have found the best site for assistance and correct medical info.

Good luck next week!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hello and welcome from another Aussie Melissa. There are a few others here from VIC.
You already have been given the best advice from Kelly and Christine.
The only way to find out for certain is to get that biopsy done on Monday.
We all understand the fear and you need to keep busy while waiting for the result which should take around 1 week.
With school holidays coming up and 4 children I am sure it will keep you busy until the result is in.
I know it is easier said than done but try to stay positive and calm until then.
Wishing an all clear result for you and please keep coming back here whenever you need to put down your thoughts or ask questions. We are here for you.
Gabriele
PS Giving up the cigarettes is a no brainer but you know that!
I was also a smoker and even though it is not easy you MUST stop wink

Last edited by Gabe; 09-20-2012 01:51 AM. Reason: Added PS

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Mic281

[quote]Realistically, what are the chances that this is just Leukoplakia? Benign. NOT BLOODY CANCER![/quote]

the answer to the question above is that the chances are very good that it's not "bloody cancer".

Just to put the whole issue of oral cancer in perspective the stats for Australia according to Cancer Council Australia is that in 2008 over 2000 people were diagnosed with a head and neck cancer (not including brain cancer) which represents about 2% of all cancers being this type. This is lower than the rest of the western world which quotes around 5-6%. Even so, still not very high.

So already, the odds are in your favour. On top of that, the vast majority of cancers are diagnosed after age 50 and more than two thirds of them are men.

I am not going to work out the odds on that but less than 1 in a million is probably a good guess. Given that you are young and female it is much more likely to be something else.

HOWEVER, this should not be cause to relax and do nothing. You do have smoking as a risk factor and leukoplakia can turn into cancer down the track, so you do need to take care of it, be vigilant and kick the smokes. Have you tried Champix? Was magic for me although I have friends who got sad or nauseous on it and couldn't finish the course. I actually enjoyed the vivid dreams too and missed them when they stopped.

Try not to stress too much over the bits you can't control(easier said than done, I know) and concentrate on what you can (quitting, keeping doctors and dental appointments, good oral health, eating well etc) .

You should not worry too much about the HPV diagnosis either. 99% of people clear the infection within 1-2 years, and cervical HPV has no link with oral cancer other than it is the same infection. It does not travel through the body by itself so unless you are double jointed, this is not an issue for you (if you get my drift)

Let us know what happens won't you?

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!!

Love my peeps from Down Under! Great feedback Gabs & Karen, ya'll rock. Melissa you would do well to listen to these gals and plug in to them my dear.

Keep your chin up!

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Oi, Oi, Oi!!!

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

MLC welcome... I sincerely hope you are just passing through. Good luck monday. If this is in the oral mucosa and IF it does come back positive for cancer - then it's likely not HPV related. hopefully its just a callous (thickened skin) you built up to protect your mouth from the biting etc... I had one of those at one point. regardless good luck monday and try not to freak out until you get a definitive answer.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
mlc281 Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks for all the advice. I'm at the hospital now, waiting to go in.

What kind of pain can I expect after the biopsy? It is both cheek and tongue.

I'm praying this is nothing.

"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Missed your post yesterday and hope you are OK?
I have had many biopsies and some are less painful than others.
You should have been given a script for pain medication which I only remember using for a few days (and not at all on a couple of occasions).
Now you need to keep yourself busy while waiting for the result.
I am sure this will not be too difficult with the school holidays these next 2 weeks wink
I am also hoping it is nothing but please keep us posted.
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users