Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

My tumor is so huge, tongue, right jaw, up into my ear canal. I decided against such a major disfiguring and incapacitating surgery with such little chance of cure. I'm at University of Michigan right now, 12 hours post op Laparoscopic J tube placement...I can only open my mouth less than a half inch and only swallow liquids now. I hope to start palliative chemo soon to shrink my tumor. The oncologist here at U/M suggested a clinical trial, but that would entail a 2 hour drive each way, and I dont want to impose on my friends like that, and my father is unable to make that kind of trip weekly.

I know that nobody said life was fair, but this sucks the big Wally. I feel so bad for my father, losing his wife and youngest daughter in less than a year...and now he'll have to watch his only other child suffer a painful and lingering end fairly soon. Yup, the big Wally.

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

frown is there no a hope lodge somewhere near the clinical trial? Hugs

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I don't know what to say but I couldn't read what you wrote and say nothing. I'm sorry that life has been so unbearably hard for you and your family this year. I hope the chemo starts soon and gives you some relief.

Have you met with the hospital social worker? They might be able to help set up lodging or transportation so that you can participate in the trial. If you have a friend who might be able to drive you, please ask. I know it sucks to feel like you're imposing but this is a crisis and you need help.

Also, if you aren't already talking with someone, a referral to your hospital's psycho-oncology department might be a good idea. I've recently begun seeing a therapist at my hospital and it has helped me a lot. It sounds like you could really use some support.

Anyway, maybe the last thing you need is my well-meaning advice. You know what's best for you and what you can handle. I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and wishing you and your father the best.

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

xoxoxooxoxxoxoxo Kellijojo.

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Kellijojo, I'm so sorry to hear your news. It certainly sucks big time. I agree with Tracy, now is definitely the time to ask friends for help. No one would begrudge helping at such a time of crisis. I wish you love and peace as you decide on your course of action. Tammy.

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

Kellijojo - I am so sorry to hear your news. Please do not be afraid to ask your friends for help whether or not you decide on the clinical trial: it is a blessing to be able to give help to a friend or relation in need.
My thoughts and prayers are also with you whatever you decide.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
OP Offline

PICC line in today, start carbo/taxo/Erbitux tomorrow. Anyone have any idea when my hair will start falling out? I hate, hate, hate being hooked up all nite to the tube feeding...and then spending so much time during the day giving myself water. No time for myself at all. I have 2 friends who have been indispensable, driving me to Ann Arbor, and all my appointments here. Dad hasn't really been any help at all, sadly. He's barely able to function because of his IBD and depression. As they were putting in the PICC today, I laid there thinking ,"Why am I doing this?!? Why???"

Why?

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

You mean hair falling out like breast cancer hair falling out? Don't think that will happen with your cocktail of chemos.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Kellijojo, I am pleased that your friends have come through for you. You deserve their help and friendship and love. Good on you for not just rolling over. I hope the chemo does its job and improves your symptoms. Did you get into a trial?
I cant answer your questions re the hair loss but I'm sure someone will be able to. There are just so many questions we all ask that there are just no answers for. Take it one day at a time. Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Kellijojo

I assume the "taxo" part of your chemo is Taxotere? this is the one that will cause your hair to fall out. Alex shaved his head as soon as the hair loss started as it didn't start falling out "gracefully". It tended to let go in clumps so he had a series of bald spots. I do not remember exactly when it started but my sense was that it was around the second dose??? I remember a girlfriend of mine telling me that the doctor was amazed she still had hers at 6 weeks. Unfortunately, it fell out after that and like Alex, she ended up shaving it.

so sorry you are going through this again but so glad your friends have stepped up. Sometimes we are so preoccupied with "being a burden" that we don't realise that an opportunity for a true friend to help actually the opposite of imposing on them as it gives them a chance to be active in your treatment.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912