Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Memories�for Channon & Shayne

Cancer has touched many of us.� For my sister Channon, she has fought, and continues to fight for her life so she won't leave her 9 year old son, Shayne, alone.

Channon has had her fair share of struggles and obstacles to overcome.� At just 41 years old she has had to endure pain and loss that most people do not experience in an entire lifetime.� Her biggest struggles began 6 years ago, when she had to undergo extensive disfiguring surgery to remove her lower�right jaw due to cancer.� After successfully fighting cancer of the jaw, she was�then faced with the sudden and unexpected loss of her husband Dwayne in May of 2010.�
Barely a year after the loss of her husband she was diagnosed again with cancer...this time in her�right sinus cavity.��She underwent another disfiguring surgery in July of 2011 that removed her entire upper palate, leaving nothing separating the mouth from the nasal passages.� Unfortunately, all of the cancer and scar tissue has left it almost impossible for her to even open her mouth wide enough to have a prosthesis palate made.� She has been on a diet consisting�completely of liquids since her surgery last summer.�
After months and months of hoping and praying for good news, she was dealt the most devastating blow of all.� The cancer has come back and has spread to the cheek bone, around her eye and again, at the back of her jaw.� The prognosis is not good, and doctors say there is nothing they are able to do for her.

She is still trying to fight because of her love for her son Shayne, and we are all praying for the best possible outcome.�
Memories are the only thing we�have when our loved ones die.� �

As Shayne's aunt and appointed guardian, the only thing I wish for both Channon and Shayne�is the opportunity to be able to create memories�for Shayne to hold on to for the rest of his life.

Thanks
Sandra Channon sister

Last edited by ChristineB; 07-24-2012 09:47 PM. Reason: removed all requests for monetary assistance and personal info
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF. You will find all kinds of info and support here. Im very sorry to read about your sisters situation! Im sure your family must be going thru a very rough time right now.

I have removed all the personal info from your posts including any requests for donations. That is not allowed on this site. I have left your post up as I feel you could greatly benefit from the warmth and caring the members of this forum have to offer you.

Best wishes to Channon

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

welcome...you are among family here, people that relate to that struggle. Rage on

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I hope that you are able to help your nephew and his Mom make the best of this devastating experience. Some of us surely get more than a fair share of tragedy and grief.

I wish for your sister to be taken care of so that she has little pain as she moves through this journey. I also wish for you and your nephew to find moments of peace, joy, and comfort in the time your sister has remaining.

Please come back here for any needed support. Whether it be advice or simply venting, we are here for you.

With great care,
Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23