Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im not sure if I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that when your mothers tube became displaced that it fell out and they attempted to put a Foley catheter in its place? A catheter is not even half the size a feeding tube is.

I still dont understand if there was a problem with her feeding tube and the formula not going into her stomach like it was supposed to that the doctor didnt order a J/G tube for her. Im not a doctor but have gone thru this and know how it should be handled.

Formulas can cause diarrhea. I went thru several different ones before I found one I could tolerate that didnt cause either diarrhea or me to be sick to my stomach with nausea and stomach cramps. There are hundreds on the market that she could be changed to. Since you said she can eat try giving her fiber to help stop the diarrhea. Add benefiber to her formula and also feed her things high in fiber like oatmeal. It really will help.

If she is able to eat then she should be encouraged to drink Ensure or Boost to build herself up. If she can take in at least 2500 calories daily by mouth then she wouldtnt need the tube at all. I would suggest getting at least 4 cans per day in her on top of what she is already taking in. The Carnation very High Calorie has been changed to something else. I will look for the thread and post a link for you. It can be ordered thru Amazon and will arrive within a few days. Try your very best to push to get her intake closer to 2500 calories per day every single day.

When I went thru everything I wasnt alone. Im a single mother. My kids were teenagers at the time. They tried but they didnt know what to do for me or how to take care of someone that was sick. I was their only parent so it was very scary for them to see me so sick. One of my worst days was when I was too weak to even walk into the hospital and my 17 year old son had to practically carry me to a wheel chair and push me into the hospital. My doc took one look at me and admitted me just by how bad I looked. All that was 5 years ago which now seems like a lifetime ago.

Best wishes to you and your mother. She is very lucky to have 3 caregivers!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Jane

Unfortunately, the standard procedure at most hospitals is to use a Foley catheter when a feeding tube falls out if it's an "emergency" , even though as Christine points out its diameter is too small for enteral feeding. While there is some tiny leakage from the stoma (hole in the stomach), it should be barely noticeable. Like Christine, my knowledge of feeding tubes was earned the hard way. The doctor's guess that the balloon and tube were defective is probably right. I had terrible problems with my balloons breaking or not fitting snugly.
If her doctor cannot get a properly fitting G or J/G tube in, ask him about parental infusion. In parenteral, or PN, nutrients are delivered intravenously and the GI tract is bypassed entirely. PN is given through a catheter which carries the liquid directly into the bloodstream, where it is absorbed by the body. Your doctor may know it by its the older terms TPN (total parenteral nutrition) or HA (hyperalimentation). This would let your mother avoid these stomach issues.
Sorry to hear about all this
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 07-24-2012 06:36 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
schues6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom has been in the hsptl 8 days now...the infection's gone from her belly--that cleared up quickly...she had no food by mouth & has been on IV's...a port was put in on Wed because her veins were wearing out. She mostly just sleeps now...she is able with effort to be helped to the bathroom and back to bed. She's very short of breath because she can't breathe thru her nose...her cheek--the sinus area stays a "hot pink" color on the skin. She has no pain in her mouth or face....so I think maybe this is one gift that God has given to her. A Dr told her to set a "goal"..he was very kind and compasionate...and I think she has set her goal to "get this over with"....She's in a "swing bed" at the hospital..this allows her to stay longer...the tube feedings started back up yesterday--only 1/2 a can & 2 feedings...they've stayed in her...so each day a little more will be added. The Erbitux was the probable cause for the diarhea. Things do have seem to have physically calmed down for her...of course the HPV continues to have it's way with her. She doesn't want the GJ tube...so praying the tube/balloon she has will work better this go round. So glad for the help and info & support here...I still feel very inadequate tho in helping her thru this but I am doing my best.

caregiver to 87 yr old mother,HPV +,Using Erbitux w/little success,Hole in palate, & 3 new areas..2 in cheek, now tumor in sinus. See Rad Dr soon & will cont. w/Erbitux. PEG tube in April. Macular Degeneration--chemo finished off her sight. Mom passed away Fri nite...8/24.

Being a caregiver is a very difficult task! You are doing a good job so dont sell yourself short. Think of everything you have learned and been able to help her with since you found this site. Your mother is lucky you are in her corner. So glad she is doing a little better! The J/G tube is not a big deal at all, its just a different version of the regular feeding tube.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Jane - you are doing a great job. Being a caregiver is one of those learn-on-the-job things. You learn as you go and believe me you will get the very best help here with all kinds of experienced advice and suggestions. Just keep on going one day at a time - or moment to moment if need be. When I became a CG to my son, I was a basket case of emotions and without everyone's help here at OCF, I don't know what would have happened to us. You are in a good place for lots of support.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

schues6 Offline OP
OP Offline

My sisters and I have learned a lot....I am so very grateful to have found this site and the wonderful people in here...We had to place mom in a nursing facility after 3 wks in the hsptl...so very weak...she runs fever at evening/nite time despite being on antibiotics...seems to be subsiding now tho..it's been a few evenings of no fever. She mostly sleeps now...feeding issues finally straightened out..so again being tube fed. We have Hospice now with us...each day still has it's "surprises"...Many thanks to all of you who have helped me help my mom & sisters on this journey. I pray for all of you every day. Jane

caregiver to 87 yr old mother,HPV +,Using Erbitux w/little success,Hole in palate, & 3 new areas..2 in cheek, now tumor in sinus. See Rad Dr soon & will cont. w/Erbitux. PEG tube in April. Macular Degeneration--chemo finished off her sight. Mom passed away Fri nite...8/24.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hang in there, it isn't easy being a caregiver but I know you couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Hospice is a godsend, I hope they are able to help you keep your mom comfortable.

Amy CG to mom Janet - diag w/ early SCC 8/11-surg w/ rad neck dissect & graft from arm/thigh 9/11-evid in nodes tx 6 wks rads (5/wk) w/cistplatin (1/wk for 6 wks) began 11/11-wk or 2 break 12/11 due to severe side effects-done 1/12- 3/23/12 mets to liver lung bone-hospice 4/7/12-lost fight 4/22/12

Jane: although I'm registered here as an OC patient, I have also been on the other side of cancer 3 times since 2007. In July 2007, I lost my little sister to breast cancer; lost my Dad to bladder cancer in May, 2009; and my bro-in-law to pancreatic cancer in April, 2010. Hospice was truly angels. I will forever donate to Community Hospice.
They are there to aid the patient AND the caregivers/family. It is certainly a hard time, but it is one you will cherish forever. Being there to assist your loved one onto the next step in life's journey. Being with my sister up to the very end, holding her hand, changed who I am as a person.
Being on the caregiver side, my own diagnoses was excruciating for me - knowing how it would be for my family. I was so angry we had to hear that word again! And so soon.
And so upset that my daughters, my sister, and my mom, etc., had to watch another family member go thru this.
But we are lucky. On both sides. Patient and caregiver. What could be better than leaving this world surrounded by your most loved people. And, though heart wrenching, you will be so glad to have been there. And I can't say enough wonderful things about Hospice.
Let me know if I can help/advise/support you as you go thru this with your mother and family.
-Wendy

Wendy 48@dx
Dx 2/11 stgIVSCC BOT
Dx 3/11 stgI breast (3rd of 4 sisters dx'd)
4/11 dbl mastectomy; no further tx reqd
5/11 PEG placemt;
5/11-7/11 chemox7;IMRTx35;
MRND 9/11
11/12 Dx:papilledema;hydrocephalus;psuedotumor.
11/12 LumbarPeritoneal Shunt
12/12 PEG Out; 100 lbs lost
All scans clear
schues6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all, and Wendy I do remember from your posts all you have been thru...this stuff is just crazy & no matter what you learn about OC..seems more times than not...there is no rhyme or reason for it. Cannot understand how HPV hit my mom..makes no sense at all. She says she has no pain...but her mouth, lips, sinus's...her face...is awful to see...she doesn't know her looks because she's lost her eyesight to macular degeneration & the Erbitux. It's gone wild in her mouth...can barely sip water, but doing the tube feedings. Asking God to be gentle & to please hurry. Perhaps if she had not been so old treatments may have gone better, who knows. God bless & keep each one of you.

schues6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom died Fri nite..8/24...us 4 kids were with her. We have asked that donations be made to OCF...So many thanks to all of you who participate, inform,support all who come here. I cannot thank you enough...and I continue to keep all who participate here in my prayers....thank you from the bottom of my heart. Jane

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics