Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

I am a 37 year old (yes 37) male from the Chicago area and am 2 days away from what I fully expect will be a positive diagnosis for right tonsil cancer.

After a few months of dealing with symptoms and going through tests to rule out causes, I am sitting here in a state of shock and disbelief that I have thrown my life away due to smoking. Everything that I took for granted in life is now gone (girlfriends, sports, career, etc)

I am trying to deal with this in a logical manner by researching the condition, choosing a hospital, getting my affairs in order, etc but realize what I need is support and someone to reach out to.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! You will find all the info and support you need right here. Glad you have found the forum! There are also many pages of excellent info on the main OCF pages too. Please take some time to read the main pages about diagnosis, it will help you.

Hopefully your test comes back that its nothing serious! Its NOT cancer til the biopsy says it is.

Hope you have quit smoking! If not now is the time to do it. I was a smoker too and it took cancer for me to throw out the cigs. While smoking was the worst thing I could have done to my body, quitting was the best.

Please dont be so hard on yourself!!!! If (and that is a huge IF at this point) you have cancer then whats to say you cant have a decent life after you get treated? One thing cancer does to people is force them to face their own mortality which is a real eye opener. Another thing is guilt, especially if you had been a smoker. Do yourself a favor and think positive about the good things you have going on in your life.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Greetings, Mark - if it does come back as positive (and it hasn't yet) your life will change, but it doesn't mean everything is gone. You have youth on your side, and since you mention sports, likely health as well (but please ditch the tobacco0!
Take care, watch out for that Chicago traffic, and let us know your results.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

My husband was a smoker...quit 10 years before his diagnosis. His cancer was stage 4 but he is here almost 5 years later and just watched a terrific fireworks show with me.

I know you are scared and I know this all seems so overwhelming but you need to take this one day at a time and know that you have a good chance of coming out on the other side of this in pretty good shape.

Yes, read, read, read all parts of this site...it will truly provide you with the support and information you need should your biopsy prove positive.

Stay with us,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

I didn't think Rob and I would be here either. April he had a sore on his tongue, went to his internist in May, ENT in late May and June 6th he was diagnosed with right lateral tongue cancer. We chose University of Chgo., he had surgery 6-21, a partial glossectomy and bilateral lymphectomy (61 nodes removed). He was out of the hospital in a day and has recovered well. We return again tomorrow for more info regarding future treatment. Our life is not back to normal , but we are confident in our path forward. Good luck, it can be a frightening ride, but support abounds. MaryAnn

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mark,

We have a saying on these forums, it's not cancer unless a biopsy says it is, so before we start jumping to a cancer conclusion let's wait for the path report.

No doubt this stuff is freakin scary, trust me I was there at 33 with a 28 year old wife, a 7 and 4 year old son so I know the fear factor. If I've learned anything is to just take one step at a time and not look too far ahead or even worry about the "what if's" and deal with things as they happen.

Thankfully I found these forums and the angels who are the survivors and caregivers that continue to plug back in year after year. The've helped me deal with this cancer experience every step of the way, and we'll be here for you as you need my friend.

Keep your chin up my friend, let us know what we can do to help

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Mark - you've already done the best thing for yourself in coming here. You will find the latest and best information available anywhere plus the experience and compassion of people who have been where you are. You are already taking steps to get in control of your health and that's good. The waiting to find out anything is absolutely the worst - so try to focus on all the good possibilities and don't allow the negatives to take over. My son was only 33 when he was diagnosed - he had lost everything too, but years later he is doing better than ever! Hang in there and check back here often!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Mark, welcome and hopefully you will not really have a reason to be here and your biopsy will be negative.

However, I am in suburban chicago, so if you can get to either the University of Chicago or Loyola (where I was treated) for a 2nd opinion -- I would go there ASAP. I lost 75% of my tongue, and I am living proof that you can survive a Stage III diagnosis. I am doing very well now 18 months post-surgery.

Let me know if you would like to chat on the phone. I would be happy to talk to you live. Just send me a private message.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.

Welcome Mark. 1st let me say you have not thrown away your life. Odds are you will have a great life ahead even if it is (BIG IF) cancer. I had stage 4 cancer on the right tonsil and finished tx 4 1/2 years ago. Aside from dry mouth and being unable to enjoy some of the foods I used to, I am doing great. In fact, I'm looking forward to a back packing trip next week. Also, at your age, unless you were smoking like 3 packs a day, it is probably not (or at least not entirely) tobacco related. Get testd for the HPV virus. Most of all, it bears repeating that it is not cancer til a biopsy says it is, and if it is, it is treatable. The tx is brutal but doable. Bedst of luck.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi mark
As everyone has said you don't know yet! Whatever happens know that you will get through it. You have youth on your side I was told this helps:) I'm a year out and was diagnosed at 45.
Everyone here is so supportive and knowledgable so you came to the right place!
Jayne

Scc nasal cavity /hard palate
Surgery removal of septum and roof of mouth 15/3/11 cl margins
Rt and cisplatin 6 weeks starting 24/5/11
Obturator

Age 45
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260