Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I was diagnosed on March 5th with Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma T1N2M0, after 2 months of going to the Dr. over an enlarged lymph node in my neck. He finally referred me to an ENT, and the bad news was delivered.

I've had one chemo treatment so far (Cisplaten), with one scheduled every 3 weeks for a total of 6 treatments, and have two weeks of radiation done with 23 more rads to come. I'm just now starting to feel the effects of the rads....a couple of mouth sores, and my throat is a little sore.

I had a PEG Tube put in right away, as I'm starting treatment at 93 lbs, and both my Oncologist and the Rad-onc felt this would be smart to not wait to see how I did before putting it in.

Just wanted to introduce myself....now I'll go back to reading smile.

p

Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Stage III T1N2M0, diagnosed March, 2012...Treatments started April 24, 2012, finished 8/28/12.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

P, welcome to OCF! Im glad you have found this forum. Its full of compassionate, caring people who are very knowledgeable and supportive. Treatments are not easy for everyone, a lucky few sail right thru with little side effects.

With taking the 3 large doses of Cisplatin, watch carefully for any hearing issues. Make sure you speak up and tell your doctor immediately if your hearing changes at all. Also make very sure you take in adequate water daily to help flush it out of your body. It can be very rough on the kidneys so this is vitally important!

Im very glad to read you already have the PEG tube as you are small. Your body is working extra hard to not only fight off the cancer but to rebuild itself while you are going thru treatments. Make sure you continue to swallow something every single day, several times per day even if it gets difficult. Your daily calories should be 2500+ and water a minimum of 48oz. This sounds like alot but your body is burning calories up at an amazing rate.

Oral cancer can be difficult to go thru the treatments as they do tend to get progressively worse as time goes on. Keeping good hydration and nutrition will make a huge difference in how you do. Here is a list of easy to eat foods that mostly have a smoother texture so go down a little easier.

I hope you have lots of support at home. Feel free to ask any questions you have and you will get several honest replies from people who know, they are the caregivers and survivors of this horrible disease.

Wishing you all the very best as you go thru treatments!

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Best wishes to you. Stay strong and positive, you can get through this.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
KP5 Offline

Hi,
We are here for you. You are already running with it so at least that part is over. I think the beginning was the worst because you just don't know waht to expect.
Where are you being treated?
Christine is right about the hearing. Kevin has pretty much lost his left ear. We are assuming it was from the Cisplatin, as that is a side effect, but he also had Taxotere and 5FU at the same time all 3 times. He did the radiation after that with Erbitux each week.
It is about the right time for the mouth sores. Have you used the feeding tube and are ready if you have to go to using it primarily? If not, be sure to get there. Sounds like your docs were good about keeping you ahead of the game. Kevin lived on scrambled eggs and pasta with butter and Ensure would he just couldn't eat solids anymore. He had a PEG, but HATEd it. He ended up losing 56 pounds, but had it to spare so it wasn't too bad. It was a lot of muscle though, that's the bad part. He is 6 months out and still hasn't put any of the weight back on permanently. He will gain a few, then lose all of it. We just go back and forth. That's with eating a full diet again.
You are coming to the hard time, but you sound prepared. We are here for you. I hope you have a caregiver going through this with you?
Keep in touch.
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi we
Com and good luck getting through it..l we're here to listen and help if and when you need it... Hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thank you everybody for the well wishes, and the advice....I'm being treated at the Kalispell Regional Medical Center....I came this close ______ to going to MD Anderson in Houston...until I found out that we have the IMRT here...radiation being the scariest part of all this to me. Being far away from family and friends didn't appeal to me, either.

My husband is being my rock. He takes me for my amifostine everyday, then picks me up and takes me to radiation...I thought at first I could do this part myself, but the amifostine is just too darn hard on me...plus all the anti-nausea meds that go with it, would impair my driving skills. It doesn't matter tho, because he insists on taking me and picking me up.

I have two sisters here in town, both who have taken on all cooking....for me, and for my hubby...every weekend the food piles in, and I'm eating for as long as I can. I did practice with the tube, tho...thought I better have that under control before I truly need it. Piece of cake, no problem at all. So far, I haven't lost any weight, even with the mouth sores....I just pile in the food behind my lips smile...it's a little messy, but what the hey!

Emotionally, I seem to do ok....tho by the end of the week, I think I've hit my coping limit, weekends are a blessing. I keep trying to look at Amifostine as my spit saver....give it a positive name...but so far "daily sick" seems to fit it best...LOL. I know this third week will be the beginning of the hard times...I'm as prepared as anyone can be for the unknown...one day at a time, don't fight battles that haven't arrived yet.....I'm conciously making myself follow in a positive thought process....since by nature, I'm more of a worry wort, fretting type person...a control freak, I guess...LOL. Learning new things about myself everyday.

Having people to talk to who have gone thru this, or are going thru it at the same time is a sanity saver.....I can't imagine doing this alone.

p

Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Stage III T1N2M0, diagnosed March, 2012...Treatments started April 24, 2012, finished 8/28/12.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Things get hard at week three and four and progress to about two weeks after treatment ends - even if you're using the peg try to continue drinking and swallowing. It will maintain the reflex - hugs and good luck, it's not fun but with determination you will get through it.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

P,

First off sorry that you are now a member of our "society" but believe me you have found THE BEST source of information and help to get you through this.

One thing I'm curious about your Tx when you say you will be given Cisplatin 6 times spread out every 3 weeks. You may want to confirm that as most of us either got 1 Tx a week for 6 weeks or 3 Tx's over the 7 weeks of rad.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I went through treatment for Stage IV NPC in 2008.

Please let me know if I can help with any questions.

Mark Lin

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi P, it's me... from CSN. You are doing so GREAT and have the best attitude about all this. You are mid-way thru week 3 (I think) and sounds like you have everything organized in case you need them later. Good idea to "practice" with the tube, rather than wait until you can't eat so well and then have to do a quick lesson. I was lucky also to have the best hubby in the world as my nurse. There were days that I could barely get out of bed, let alone drive myself to treatments. I had great neighbors who cooked for hubby so he could care for me. Wishing you an easy ride for the rest of your journey.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
OP Offline

Hi Ingrid...it's nice to see familiar "faces" here...Yes, I'm in the middle of week three....the "honeymoon" period I believe is about over. I have no choice but be determined...the alternative is well......bleak...LOL.

David....my Oncologist said I'd be getting Cisplatin every three weeks for 3 treatments.....then said, I'd be getting another three treatments of Cisplatin and "another chemo drug"...but did not elaborate on what that other drug may be. I'm guessing (from hearing other people's experiences with adjuvant chemo) that it will be 5FU. I will be talking to the Oncologist at sometime before this comes to pass...I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since our orginal conference, but do have regular appointments with his Nurse Practioner...

Mark....it's WONDERFUL to hear from a NPC survivor...just hearing you on here lightens my load....you have no idea!

p

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

P,

Be watchful of what they call "ringing in your ears" which really didn't sound like ringing to me, more like a really faint buzzing. Cis administered in this big bag approach (every 3 weeks) can cause permanent hearing loss. I know for fact. Perhaps discuss Carboplatin with your MO but regardless get him to discuss the warning signs of Cisplatin and what to do if you begin to experience any of them. I didn't notice any problems with Cis until after my second bag which was appx 15 rads into my Tx.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to OCF Neighbor!

I'm not too far away from you at all over in Idaho, in fact there was just a OCF event not too far away from you in Columbia Falls. Glad you found the forums, welcome to our little oasis on the net!

As a second to David, as I sit here typing this the ringing in my ears is loud and clear. I've experienced very real hearing loss from that drug and it can be very frustrating. Just keep an eye out for it. Mine started after my second dose as well I just wasn't informed it was an issue, or was on too many other drugs to notice until it was too late.

Keep the great attitude! All we can control through treatment is our attitude, hydration and nutrition and I believe that attitude is the most important, keep that and the rest comes easy.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 05-09-2012 08:34 AM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

I was going to ask if the hearing loss would be sudden or gradual...I've had ringing in my ears since January (a symptom of NPC)...so for me that wouldn't be an indicator that my hearing was taking a beating....I'm used to the buzzing, now.

There was an OCF event in Columbia Falls? That's only 15 miles away, and none of the folks I've met here (so far) with OC mentioned it, so am thinking they didn't know about it either. We are trying hard to get a support group together...so far we've only found 6 people total in our area, who have suffered H & N cancer.

I'm keeping a positive outlook...and I think my "daily attitude" is pretty good, considering I'm doing amifostine and rads everyday....just always glad to get home!!

p

Anyone's hearing affected by cisplatin should begin to notice a difference within a week of being given the first dose. Im one of the lucky ones who did not get affected by the cisplatin, but I only had 2 doses too.

Are you talking about Lisa's Voice? This was put on in honor of Lisa Petersen who sadly passed away last October. She was a member of OCF and also good friend of mine. I greatly miss my friend Lisa! Lisa talked with me many times and had always wanted to help spread awareness and attend a walk or event with other OC survivors. Her friend Jan hosted the event and set up OC screenings. There will be at least one (possibly 2) events for Lisa's Voice next year as well. I hope to be able to attend one of them. Here is the link for the Lisa's Voice event.

Lisa's Voice 2012 event

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

Yes, Christine, that must have been the event....Was Lisa from my area? I'm so sorry you lost your friend....the friendships we make during this particular crisis in our lives run deep...A girl I met on CSN, who only lives a few miles away from me...picked me up, dusted me off after diagnosis....and has been invaluable as a source of information and support...I don't know what I'd have done without her.

Hugs to you...

p

Last edited by phrannie; 05-09-2012 10:35 PM.

Lisa was from Kalispell. Is CSN how you found OCF? I know there is a chat I recently got added to over on facebook. Maybe we already know each other. Im Christine Brader.

**** For privacy reasons, this forum is anonymous. You do NOT have to say who you are.

Last edited by ChristineB; 05-10-2012 04:13 AM. Reason: added privacy statement

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

Actually, I found out about OCF via the Facebook group...I've been at CSN since I first was Dx'd....the girl who started the Facebook group is from Whitefish, and the person who picked me up and dusted me off when I first found out I had cancer.

Do I know you from CSN, Christine? Are you in our area, too?

p

Last edited by phrannie; 05-10-2012 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics