Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

My husband is on his last few days of treaments. Did you get vaccine after you were done with treatment?

Cancer of Vallecula = Pathology shows HPV
last Radx was on 4/26 total rads 35 & Cisplatin 3x 6 hr session - last one on 5/13 first PET scan post TX June 27th 2012 - Pain cameback early July. 2nd PET scan on Aug 14 showed activity in same original location. Biopsy on Aug 31st
RogerC Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Comment by Dr.Fiala:

"The authors describe their significant finding as "The incidence of any subsequent HPV related disease was 6.6 and 12.2 in vaccine and placebo recipients respectively (46.2% reduction (95% confidence interval 22.5% to 63.2%) with vaccination)" This is further detailed in table 2.

Furthermore the authors describe an unexpected finding in table 3: "Impact of quadrivalent HPV vaccine on incidence of subsequent cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade I or worse* associated with 10 tested non-vaccine HPV types among women who had undergone cervical surgery". The effect is similar, a 42.5% reduction.

In summary, the authors found a similar reduction in subsequent diseases of all HPV types (46.2%) and non-vaccine HPV types (42.5%). This leads to the conclusion that the reduction in subsequent disease was unrelated to the vaccination. The only other possibility would imply that the vaccine was active even on virus types not contained in the vaccine."

FNAB Dx SCC left lymph Sept2/11 (age 43), left tonsillectomy Sept21/11 confirmed primary. T1N2bM0. 35 IMRT both sides Oct17-Dec12/11. Cisplatin week 1,4,7. Non-smoker, non-drinker, p16+.
RogerC Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=davidcpa]I told this board 4 or 5 years ago that Dr Anna Giuliano, a HPV researcher from Moffitt, told me that even at my advanced age if I were single she would advise me of getting the vaccine. We traveled and spoke many times together re HPV including appearing before the CDC on behalf of the OCF on the male version of the Gardasil vaccination. [/quote]

This recommendation was directed at you after your treatment?
Or was she generalizing that people at any age should get the vaccine?
Thanks

FNAB Dx SCC left lymph Sept2/11 (age 43), left tonsillectomy Sept21/11 confirmed primary. T1N2bM0. 35 IMRT both sides Oct17-Dec12/11. Cisplatin week 1,4,7. Non-smoker, non-drinker, p16+.
RogerC Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=RogerC]I just re-read the specifics again and I'm confused now.

In the first part, it sounds like they focused on a subgroup who received the vaccine, developed HPV disease anyway, and subsequently had less recurrence than the placebo group. A generalization was made by the authors suggesting benefit of getting the vaccine after HPV disease although that is not what was in the study's methodology.

In the second part, "The studies did not include baseline HPV testing or clinical examination before randomization, so women with ongoing HPV disease were permitted." Therefore, it sounds like some of these women were indeed HPV+, yet not confirmed with any testing before receiving the vaccine.

So I'm confused. Did any of these women benefit from receiving the vaccine AFTER they were HPV+ or not?
Thanks

[/quote]

My questions were pulled from Brian's post, but I looked up the BMJ article in it's entirety and it appears the women did in fact get the vaccine or placebo FIRST, those that developed disease were followed, and the are saying those that received the vaccine had reduced recurrence.

When I originally read the ABC and other similar news reports, the wording sounded like they received the vaccine AFTER infection. Translation lost in journalism. Next time, I will try to go to the actual study.

So if I am understanding the BMJ article correctly, why did a subset of women develop HPV disease anyway after being vaccinated? Did the vaccine lose effectiveness or it wasn't effective in the first place? And to reiterate Dr. Fiala's comment, when the authors say the vaccine was effective in reducing recurrence for subtypes beyond the quadrivalent vaccine, how is that possible? You should only be protected from those 4 strains in the vaccine, not others. Like she said, maybe it has nothing to do with the vaccine. Or if it's possible, the immune response from the vaccine somehow protects other subtypes, I'd really like to know if that's true.
For example, if someone gets the flu shot, contracts the flu but it is a different strain than the shot, does that person get less severe symptoms or recover faster than someone who doesn't get the flu shot at all?

I apologize, my questions now are far away from the topic oral cancer, and are probably more appropriate for an immunologist. What I do know is, I am less enthusiastic about getting the vaccine myself. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no disease out there where getting the vaccine for it afterward is of any benefit in the scientific literature.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Sorry just got to this board.

Anna told me "if I was single she would recommend me getting the vaccine and this was post Tx.

Since I'm married and only active with my wife she didn't see any reason to get the vaccine. Even IF I was "active" with other women and married I wouldn't bother getting the vaccine because sooner or later my wife would surely find out and the vaccine wouldn't prevent anything she would do to me! lol

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
RogerC Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

So she thought if you were single, getting the vaccine would perhaps protect you from the other 3 strains in the vaccine should you encounter them. But because you are married and presumably monogamous, it is unnecessary.

Therefore, Anna's reasoning behind getting the vaccine post treatment is from an infectious standpoint, not disease progression/recurrence.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Yes that's the conclusion I reached that she was advising me how she thought I might prevent future "outside source" infections.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I have been following this with interest. So, until we have information to the contrary, my husband doesn't get the vaccine, but we were correct in badgering my young adult son into getting it.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics