Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1481 08-03-2003 09:37 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi everybody,

Sorry I have been out of touch for a while. I have been quite busy with one thing and another and now my kids are off from school for the summer holidays life just gets busier.

Anyway, all you members from the board are never far away from my thoughts and prayers and today I thought I would steal a moment to update you on my Mum.

Several weeks ago my mum had to have a CT Scan as her chest xray taken in January showed some abnormalities. It was a very anxious time for us all as we waited to find out the results of the scan. My own thoughts had run away with me and I posted a question on this board asking what it could be. I worried it was cancer again and that it had spread to my Mum's lungs.

Fortunately after many prayers and sleepless nights I would like to share some good news....the CT Scan showed that it was just scar tissue and not cancer. What a relief that was.

Mum continues to get used to life after oral surgery. At the moment she is trying to eat more textured food. It takes quite a long time about an hour and a half to get it down, but she usually manages a bit washed down with a drink of water or tea.

The follow up appointments at the hospital are quite frequent at the moment. She has to see her consultant for a check up every 4-6 weeks - without fail. This is because my mum has a condition called sub mucous fibrosis inside her cheeks. They say there is a suspicious area there that they want to keep an eye on as unfortunately there is a high risk the cancer could come back.
Of course we hope and pray that it doesn't but it is a good thing they are keeping such a close eye on her.

Well I guess that's all my news for now.

Take care of yourselves.

Fond thoughts and many prayers your way.

Love

Kathleen.

Caregiver to Mum. Diagnosed with base of tongue cancer November 2002. Surgery in January 2003 to remove/re-build nearly all of tongue and radical neck dissection to remove lymph nodes.

#1482 08-03-2003 09:59 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kathleen, thank you so very much for that positive update, and for making time in your busy schedule to tell us how your mum is doing. That really is good news and I hope you can relax a bit now. It is wonderful that she is being checked so frequently, because if the unthinkable happens, it will be caught early and be so much easier to deal with. I think she and you have gone through quite enough, however, and I believe we can just decide that will NOT happen! Very good to hear from you, Kathleen.
Joanna

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics