Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

So, dragged my backside out of bed at 3am in the morning to participate. Considering that I had never contributed to ANYTHING on the net this time 2 years ago, I wasn't quite sure what to expect as this was a new thing for me - a facebook event. So Dr Dentist was online ready to answer questions and they came thick and fast. Quite difficult to follow as I had to keep pushing the refresh button and the responses were obviously not in sync as there were a dozen questions between the question and the response from the expert. However, worth a look at the results as there are a lot of interesting questions and answers.

What I learned last night (or early this morning) was that dental problems are not confined to people who have radiation to head and neck. Many (dare I say most) people were suffering issues after chemo and radiation associated with cancers from all over the body. That dental issues are a sequalae of chemotherapy was a surprise to me.

I also learned about fluoride trays which do not seem to be an option in Oz. Whilst I learned about the concept from this forum I never knew how they worked and silly me assumed that they were like mouth guard thingies (got that part right at least) that needed to be worn overnight. As a result, I have never floated the idea with Alex knowing full well that this would never be agreed to. However, the trays are only for 5-10 minutes a day - which sounds much more doable for Alex. Another question to talk to the dentist about next month.

Would I do it again? Not at 3am!

However, I would definitely pre-ask my questions and make sure I read the follow up blog (that might be the wrong terminology)that summarises the issues and responses. I would recommend that others who may have dental concerns, also click on the link to the event that it is in Erics post and read all about it.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

9 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users