Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello, All. My name is Amy. Im new to the forum, but extremely grateful to have stumbled across it. I live North of Houston where my uncle (67 yr old smoker) receiving treatment at MDA. Forgive the lack of terminology, but sadly up until last night he has chosen to suffer alone and keep as private as possible, therefore the details are these: recently diagnosed with oral, lung and kidney cancer. Underwent 18 hrs of oral surgery 1/31/12. Numerous teeth, part of tounge and part of esophagus removed. Still has feeding tube Just finished 3/16+weeks of radiation. In addition, he started Chemo yesterday- 3/19/12.
He is asking for help! I know MDA has resources but for some reason think I'm going to find who he needs here. Can anyone direct me to someone who has been through the same or similiar situtation? Any help is kindly appreciated.

OP Offline

Just to confirm- he is asking to speak with someone through what he is going through. Recent swelling has scared him. Radiation/Mask terrifies him. He needs to just talk. Thanks again. (forgive the scatterbrain!)

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi,
I cannot say I have gone through exactly what your uncle is going through but I was a patient at MDA for my oral cancer, and my unrelated cancer, a sarcoma, GIST tumor. You are correct in saying they have tons of services. Have you visited with the social worker assigned to him? That would be a start. She (I imagine it would be the same one I had, although he has other cancers)would be able to point you to some face-to-face help if nothing else. They have lots of chaplains of various faiths if he would like to go that direction.

Much of the experience is frightening, and while the fright lessens as time goes by, we survivors all have our moments as well.

He would have a dietician assigned to his case and if you take the time to talk with them they can be of help as well. In fact I was supposed to have a visit scheduled weekly--this did not always happen, but the resource was there. Their integrative medicine department is becoming more and more active, and they have many classes he could take if he wanted (and you could go with him), from meditation to yoga, all designed at helping him cope. They are great, but lots of patients do not help themselves out on this. As a caretaker (you are taking care of him by helping out) you might enjoy these as well.

I imagine someone else will post here soon that might be able to help out more specifically. It does not help to keep to oneself, but it is difficult to make someone who does not want to do so, reach out.

Radiation scared me too. I did not "enjoy" the chemo routine. I hated what surgery did to me, though I feel like a baby because I did not have it as bad as many! I feel for him and for everybody else having to go through it all. He's lucky he has you in his corner, though! Everyone must have a support system to get through.

Make sure he is getting the proper nutrition. I do not recall on your previous post what you said about how he was getting that--PEG? He still needs to practice swallowing, drink what nutrition he can, eat what he can. There are a lot of experienced folks here who can help you out on a PEG.

Hope this is a little bit of help, and there will be more to come.

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Amy - I know you will get several answers in here for your uncle. These OCF forum members are the most helpful people you will encounter anywhere and will be able to give you and your uncle comfort, advice, and plenty of expertise as most have been thru what your uncle is experiencing now. Keep checking back and answers will appear soon. Thank you for being such a caring niece. Tell him he is NOT alone!

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Amy!

Welcome to OCF, glad you found us my dear, sorry you had to!

Wow! Your uncle is in the fight! Great news is he's in arguably the best medical care in the country in MDA! Now for support, I don't think you find anywhere better than these forums for knowledgeable, caring people who can understand the struggle.

Just know that you as a caregiver and your Uncle as a patient have folks in your corner, that you are not alone and we can and want to help y'all through this. If we're big on anything here at OCF aside from knowledge, it's heart, we care.

Let us know how we can be of service, advice, an ear or a shoulder.

Be well, again, welcome!

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Amy! Welcome to OCF! You and your uncle are no longer alone in this battle. You have found the very best place to get tons of info and support.

I have spoken with many oral cancer patients and their caregivers over the years. Look next to the My Stuff tab, you should see a flashing envelope. I sent you my number if you or your uncle need to speak with someone please give me a call.

PS... Im a former smoker too. Darn cancer was what got me to quit.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there - welcome! So glad your uncle isn't doing this by himself anymore he does have a fight on his hands but he is at a great cancer center. It sounds to me like he's 3 weeks into radiation ? This is when it gets hard. And will likely stay that way for another 5 or 6. Are they treating all his cancers with chemo and or rads? Or operating? To remove the lung and kidney tumors? Are they related? To his oral cancer? Lots of questions I know. Tell him the mask is mnot pleasant by any standard. I used to listen to the music, and close my eyes and go somewhere else. I also visualized myself healing. If he really hates it they can give him meds for it. If he's being treated as an in patient they can also control his pain meds better. Tell him I'm saying a prayer for him. And wish him much comfort. There are loads of people here who've been through the radiation and surgery there'll be plenty of advice available.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

THANK YOU ALL for taking the time to reply. I can't wait to get home to have access to a screen bigger than my phone to try and learn this site. Sincerely grateful. Take care. I'll be back smile

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Support you have here. Answers too. I know the mask scared the heck out of me, had to take valium to get on that table, but got through it 35 times. Best wishes to your uncle for strength and patience to get through this.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.

Amy, does it help if he listens to music or even an audio book during treatments? That really took my mind off it and was I'm sure the only way I got through it. If they don't have music he likes in the treatment room you could always bring in a portable player of some type.

Keep us posted, ok?

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics