Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Fezley,

Do you have anyone who can take some pictures of the lesion? My husband and I photo-documented my tongue lesion while we were waiting for a biopsy. It ended up being especially helpful because my surgical oncologist could see what the lesion looked like before I had my excisional biopsy by the oral surgeon.

I think this is a good idea because then you can show the ENT exactly what you mean. It's important that you use good light, such as a flashlight. You may need to use a piece of gauze or paper towel to grip your tongue and pull it over if it's in a conspicuous place. This is why you need someone else to take the picture(s). One to use the camera and hold the light and you to manipulate your tongue. If the lesion fluctuates from day to day, you may want to take a series.

Best of luck and here's to hoping it is only an infection!

Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!
fezley Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you both! I've been doing what the doctor ordered, taking the antibiotics and antiviral meds and trying not to think too hard about everything. The bump in my mouth seems to have gotten smaller and flatter...it really seems to be fading back into the tissue. I was feeling really positive about this, but then the other day I found a hard, immovable, pea-sized lump on the right side of my neck, just below my jaw. At first I thought it was just some weird neck anatomy I'd never noticed until I started looking, but after poking around on the other side, it became pretty clear that this was only occurring on the right side. After looking at some anatomy, it looks like it could be a swollen submandibular lymph node.

As far as my other symptoms (ear ache, sore throat, jaw/neck pain, all only on the right side), they come and go depending on the day. Two days ago, I had sore throat pain severe enough that I was sucking on cough drops all day. Yesterday I felt really good, almost normal. Today, the ear pain is back.

I'm not sure what to think. At this point, I'm almost certain I'll be heading back to the ENT and demanding some sort of explanation. I've never had ear pain or sore throat pain that comes and goes from one day to the next like this. It seems strange that only after I've been given medication that the oral lesion would start to disappear but one of my lymph nodes would become hard and slightly enlarged. But then again, I'm no doctor!

Thanks again for your support. I've been browsing the forums and all of your stories are incredible and your positivity is so inspirational. =)

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Definitely have it checked out again. Lymph nodes do swell for many reasons but it ever hurts to have it checked out. Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users