Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1janetk Offline OP
OP Offline

I am a federal worker and their process for approval for long-term disability is fitful - they are backlogged 60,000 cases...
thank goodness for **** - say this could take up to one year.Getting information from providers is like pulling teeth - ang suggestions?
janetk
hard palate/t-2/n1/m0 - 11/11
bil malillectomy,free flap reconstrction

Last edited by ChristineB; 05-12-2012 05:55 AM. Reason: removed business name
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Janet, you're a stage IV cancer patient, apply for Social Security Disability, I applied the February I was diagnosed and was approved and had my first check in 7 or 8 months. Beats a year.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

i applied for ssi without a lawyer and was approved in 4 months, first check retroactive. it seems everyone tells you to get a lawyer because they reject arbitrarily, but i had no problems. we aren't talking sprained wrists here! i recommend you apply, and if denied, definitely get a lawyer (there are so many that specialize in ssi claims) good luck

after 3 sarcma flr mouth,fially removed, reconstruct from thigh muscle. 1/2 saliva glands removed, plus more glands than i can remember
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My son applied for SSI, and was denied, even though his doctor had sent a letter indicating the seriousness of his condition, that he was completely disabled and would be for some time to come. Appointments that we had lasted hours, very tiring for my son, right after surgery, and the interviewers were extremely unkind, at one point asking me, with my son sitting right next to me if he was "terminal". After many screw-ups at their office, and many interviews lasting hours, he was not approved. The denial letter also stated that even though he was not approved, that it did not mean that he was not completely disabled and that we could re-apply but only after a specified time or pursue his case with an attorney, which we could not afford. So, in view of the favorable comments above, I can only assume that perhaps it depends where you live or which SS office you go to. If you go to any that treat you in a less than extremely compassionate way, run away fast and get an attorney - one that will wait to get paid, preferably. Also, have someone go with you to run interference for you. As Mick says, "if denied, definitely get a lawyer".

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Eric,
I was diagnosed with stage IV a SCC, had surgery (hemiglossectomy), and now undergoing RAD and chemotherapy. Are you saying at 58 one could qualify for SSI disability?

If so, what is the process?

BrendaN. 58. Dx2/2/12 Non-smoker Mod drinker Avid exercise- Maui 1/2 marathon1/22/12- Not HPV. Prob cause- 35 yr amalgams-.2/8/2012 SCC, partial glossectomy (right side) SG IVa, 29 nodes, one w/cancer Erbitux 2/29/12 1/week-7 weeks. RAD 3/7/12 M-F for 6wks-clr PET 7/12-2ndclear CT 10/25/12

I was 33 when I applied and approved for SSI disability. I was approved the first time, and my interview was over the phone, it's my understanding (therefore not necessarily fact) that a stage IV cancer diagnosis is generally approved without out much hassle.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

There's the link, I don't remember much about the process as my wife handled it, I do remember the interview though. Memory is very "hazy" due to all of the drugs, but I remember that we didn't have to jump through too many hoops. My wife is really good at paperwork too so that probably helped.

Good luck, hope it helps

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 03-09-2012 12:20 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I agree. I applied for Kevin via the social worker at our CC. He had JUST started radiation. We heard back 6 weeks later that he was approved. They called and did a phone interview with him about 2 weeks after we applied. It really was very easy. I was shocked. Had heard so many horror stories.
So yes, Brenda, apply. Do you have a ss at your cc. It works well if it all comes from them. They also just print off all your records and send them along. I just gathered info and she input as I gave her answers.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I was fired via text message about 2 weeks before my treatment ended due to an altercation with my boss (who was a jerk!!). AND I was working every day!! I would go back to work after radiation for the first couple of weeks and then I got my appointment later in the day so I could just go home afterwards. I went the unemployment route, thinking it would be quicker. He fought it and won all 3 appeals, so I was without any income for 6 months. So the I applied for SSD. All very easy to do on-line. I had to sign some forms and drop them off at the local office. With those forms, I also included all of the clinical reports from my surgeon. If I remember right, I heard from them about 4 months later. They called to let me know that I had an appointment with one of their doctors. Went and saw her, took about 10 minutes. I have all of my test reports, clinical reports, lab reports etc in a big manual with dividers. I took that with me, so when she asked certain questions, I had all of the answers at my fingertips. I was approved and they went back to my diagnosis date. They add 5 months to that date and I think they call that your "eligible date". A few weeks later, I received a check for the previous 12 months!! I got the check before I got the letter telling me I was approved. From what I read, head and neck cancers are one of the highest approved. I wouldn't suggest getting an attorney. They take about 25% of your first check. Also, 2 years from your eligible date, you go on Medicare. Which finally happened for me this last January. 2 years without insurance was soooooo scary! Good luck!

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***

Cathi - I'm so glad to her how good it went for you in applying for SSD! Amazing! My son had such a rough time but maybe things have improved. I certainly hope they have for those applying in Tennessee.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

1janetk Offline OP
OP Offline

I did receive SSD readily, directly without legal help after only 7 weeks. That will start after 5 months. It is the federal employee disability that is backed up 60,000 claims! Sorry to perpetuate confusion. Who knows when I will get the the "job disability". One would think they are related...BUT, at least I still have my health insurance as a govenment employee...On official leave without pay since Dec., but I am a believer in ***** that "pays when you can't work."
janetk
hard palate/bilateral maxillectomy 11/11 t2/n1/mo

Last edited by 1janetk; 05-12-2012 07:29 AM. Reason: removed business name
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members