Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dswavey Offline OP
OP Offline

I have seen where this cancer has been detected in people lungs yet surgeons I've talked to say this stays above the neck confused

Last edited by ChristineB; 03-05-2012 07:10 AM.

Diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma surgery 2/24/12,primary tumor pT1 regional lymph node pN1 total number of nodes removed 13 with 1 positive age 53 occasional cigar smoker quit social drinker workout nut.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

After someone has gone thru oral cancer, it can always return. This thought is terrifying to all of us. When it returns its called a recurrence. Sometimes a recurrence is in the lungs. Everyone is different and not everyone will go thru a recurrence. Ive had 2 recurrences and both time it was near the original spots. Sometimes people have a 'spot' on their lungs which appears during the scan check ups. Ive had one 2 cm 'spot' for over 2 years and it has not changed. Hope that helps to clarify your question.

PS .... When you have time, please add a signature. It greatly helps us to get to know you much faster when we know your history. Click on the "My Stuff" tab, on the dropdown menu click on "My Profile". Scroll to the bottom and type your info in the white box and click "Submit".

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Dswavey Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, very new to the game and my surgeon was not very forthcoming with info, yet kept asking if we had any additional questions almost to the point of really upsetting my wife who is a paramedic. Than you get back in the car and realize we had tons of questions I think the surgeon is good based on how I feel already but gave me to many false hoods early on like this is just on your tongue he stated before surgery, I bet you 95% that this is only in the tongue, then when we came back to his office and he said it was found in a lymph node now he says I bet the oncology doctor will tell me no other treatment needed. Now since being on this sight I know that is not correct either, very scary that a doctor of his tenure speaks like that. Thanks again for your help

Diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma surgery 2/24/12,primary tumor pT1 regional lymph node pN1 total number of nodes removed 13 with 1 positive age 53 occasional cigar smoker quit social drinker workout nut.

Its best to make a list of questions before your visit. Write them down with space left open to write the doctors answers. Glad to hear you dont go alone to your appointments. Another set of ears is always important. Next time take your list of questions and have your wife play secretary and write everything down the doctor says. This way you will get the most out of your appointment. Some people also ask if they can tape record their session so they can go back and replay what the doc says. Not all doctors like to be taped so always ask first.

You will find the more time you spend on this site, the more you will get an education about oral cancer. You will know the ins and outs of what you should expect from your doctor visits and when a doctor doesnt quite measure up to the standards. Doctors are all too human sometimes and dont always have the best people skills. When you have questions, dont be afraid to ask your doc. Remember, the doctor works for you.

Last edited by ChristineB; 03-05-2012 08:57 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there! Christine is right this cancer can move - much like any cancer. Usually there is a little more involvement than just a node - but that really depends on the overall health of the person, their anatomy - and the aggressiveness of the cancer. The more aggressive- the faster it moves, the more advanced the more wide spread it can be, the lungs can be the first stop. but I've also heard of it being found in the pelvis and other locations. There are several collecting area for the lymph nodes - one is under the arm and one Is the pelvis.The lymphatic system runs through your body so basically it can end up anywhere but usually there is more lymphatic involvement first. I also depends on whether there Is perineural involvement - nerve in tongue is affected- cancer cells will travel along the path of least resistance nerves offer less resistance - so usually - which is what you're dr said - may be the norm - but not the only. (usually a lymph node involved and or peri neural involvement is cause to extend treatment to include rads and possibly chemo). Also overall health and immune system play a large role in recovery and spread - poor weakened immune system means it can't fight off the cancer as easily, plus other diseases cme into play. An oncologist I know once said - there's no such thing as a recurrence - if it comes back quickly, it was never gone in the first place - ultimately they didn't get it all the first time out. His is why an excellent dr is key. Your dr. sounds decent but if you're not being treated at a CCC, get to one, the drs there will have had the most experience with this kind of cancer - most drs don't talk in absolutes because they know cancer mets depends on many things. Confidence in your dr. is primary. Best of luck and many blessings to you!

Last edited by Cheryld; 03-05-2012 09:29 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics