Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146795 03-05-2012 08:09 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

While not being able to eat or drink is bad enough, it's made worse by my doctors' expectations of a totally dependent patient instead of working with me to empower me to be independent. My new button did not even last a month.
Good think I'm not bashful. Just had to share my frustrations and only the OCF family could appreciate this email I just had to send to the Director of CCC Interventional Radiology department with a cc to the Patient Advocate.
[quote]
I hope that I do not become a monthly correspondent and patient, but the Mic-Key low profile button IR installed on February 9th had its balloon burst Friday night. I called this morning and got an appointment for 8 am this Friday March 8th. Since the button needs to be special ordered [16 FR 3.5cm], would you please make sure that is done. Also I have two other requests: follow up on getting me to independence and having your doctors consider ordering a different brand of button for this Friday.
In response to my request below that IR help me become an independent patient, last month Dr ---- assured me that for my replacement button, I would not have to go into the surgery room but instead he or Dr.--- would just change it at my bedside in the patient pre-op room so that my wife could see how it was done. That way I can get the buttons directly from my medical supplier along with my other enteral nutrition, syringes, etc that i need to live and change them as needed. I hope I can be accommodated on this visit.

I'm not a doctor so I would appreciate having a doctor look at these claims by a manufacturer that their product would be better for me than the Kimberly Clark Mic Key brand. I'm not too troubled since the very first G tube IR put in back on March 6, 2009 also did not last a month before its balloon burst. That time, IR switched my brand of tube from Wills-Oglesby (Cook Medical) to Mic (Kimberly Clark) which did last longer. AMT's web site claims that when comparing their Mini ONE� balloon versus the Mic-Key� balloon", theirs causes less granulation tissue, less leakage, better fit and much much longer balloon life before it bursts. Here are the links. {Redacted ]

If they do decide to order the AMT, please be sure it is the Mini and not the classic since the mini takes mic key extensions and is the "improved version" with the purported benefits. the sizes are supposed to be the same.

So, please have your doctors decide what brand button would be best for me, order it, and I'll see you all early Friday morning to get my 10th tube installed. (Too bad that IR does not have a punch card with buy ten, get one free)

[/quote]

Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sorry it didn't work. Sounds like a great, knowledgable letter. You probably know more about it than they do! Good luck this Friday. Meanwhile, what are you using?

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Oh boy! This is serious! Can it be used at all? How are you going to go a whole week with your tube not working? I would think this would be considered an emergency. Even if they have to order it, they really should be able to get you in there earlier than Friday. Please make sure you take care of yourself. Ask your doc for a referral to get daily hydration. You dont want to get yourself sick from lack of nutrition and hydration.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Christine & Kathy

I did not mean to alarm you because the balloon bursting is part of my new normal. Whenever it happens, I can still use the tube or button, but I just have to use bandaids and tape to hold it. That's all the balloon does, hold the tube/button in your stomach. I can still get all my Jevity and water and Vitamix down so I'm getting plenty of hydration and nutrition.
In reviewing all the emails I've sent to the hospital about this, the first year I did panic and insist it was an emergency, yet they still always made me wait about a week no matter who I called, including the patient advocate, so I just quit. The only exception they ever made was when my tube fell entirely out and I was unable to get it back in - they did see me that day reluctantly because I just showed up and made a major fuss that had Security involved before I calmed down. Funny, I did complain this last visit about having to wait a week every time, so they gave me a replacement long one size fits all tube although they forgot to give me the 6 ml luer slip syringe needed to inflate the balloon so I'd have to tape that in anyway also.
It's not as bad as some poor posters in the Oley Inspire forum or the blenderized diet forum whose balloons burst in two weeks three times in a row and the extra $200 co pay each time really hit them hard. I will probably switch the brand myself anyway if they don't once my wife is comfortable changing them for me.
I can't wait to become independent of them.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 03-05-2012 09:49 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Phew! You really had me worried! Glad its still useable and will hold up for a few more days til you get the new one.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Charm,

Wow, you sure have had your issues with the "tube". Can anyone shed any light as to why these balloons keep bursting? You aren't stuffing pins and needles down that tube, are you? You'd think with all the technology out there that this would be a problem of the distant past. Anyway, it is a major inconvenience. I like how pro-active you are. Clark and I have found this works for us, too. When you as a patient ask for something specific and present the rationale for it, it certainly gets attention. And they know they are not dealing with someone with hayseed in his hair. I especially like you witty last line! How could they not fulfill your request!

Hang in there and keep making noise!

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
KP5 Offline

Thanks for the clarification! I was wondering....

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

As my dysphagia worsens, and weight loss has gotten to the point when nothing that I wore a year ago fits at all ( I look like a child wearing his father's suits), i have followed Charm's journey with great interest, thinking that at some point in the future I will be on a path behind him.

However I hope that I do not develop the pica behavior (google it) that Charm has obviously not told us about. I think that due to some mineral deficiency he has taken to this diet of inedibles� rumor has it that he has developed a taste for metallic objects with a special fondness for nails, screws, staples and pins. Of course this plays hell with the balloons. Buy 10 get one free sounds like a really good deal all things considered.

All joking aside, I think that one of the things about this disease's after effects is the constant "it's always something" crap that goes along with the treatments, which wear on you to no end. What next, and the numerous visits to doctors, the new symptoms, the new issues, and of course the issues that were not so bad, but are now getting worse, just beat you up. Charm's lack of whining about it all, but just a matter of fact manner of dealing with each thing in its course, is certainly to be commended.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Aww, Charm what a bugger! At least it happened to someone who could analyse the problem and apply themselves to the solution and not someone new and coming to terms with the whole concept of tube feeding. I can't imagine what Alex would have done if this had happened him at the beginning. We also questioned button vs "tail" but the hospital refused point blank to consider the button but never really gave us any real reasons. I assumed they had no contract with the button company and it was all too difficult to buy it in for short term (we thought) use.

With any luck, the new company product WILL be better and if not, make sure you swallow a magnet as part of your diet.

We watch your progress (and tenacity) with interest.

Karen
PS I worked with quite a few children with pica years ago - the worst being the one who managed to swallow a little under half a tennis shoe. Of course, she couldn't complete the job, necessitating emergency surgery and we never did find the other part of the shoe.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Charm, great letter. I hope it helps. And so glad to read that your sense of humor is intact - "buy ten, get one free". Excellent.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics