Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
scribe Offline OP
OP Offline

I was told to use electric shaver (which I don't have) instead of regular shafety blade. Is that a must?

Scribe, I was told that during radiation the blood flow to the areas radiated will be deminished. This will prolong the healing process. So you can imagine if you were to cut yourself shaving, it could take forever to heal, or worse it could get infected, or even worse cause you to stop your treatments. For this same reason I was told to stop eating anything with sharp edges (example: tortilla chips) that could cut the inside of my mouth.

I had never owned an electric shaver in my life. After a little research, I went down to Wal-mart and got one for about $45.

As a side note, after I finished my treatment, the facial hair on my cheeks and neck did not come back. I continue today to use the electric razor to shave my mustache and chin. It takes about 2 minutes in the morning. I look at this as a benefit as I hated to shave to start with!

RAZ
SCC base of tongue w/ nodes on right side
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

This is a must. It won't matter after awhile, since the hair follicles will be permanently destroyed by the radiation, and shaving in those areas will be a thing of the past for you. Not to mention that when the radiation burns begin to appear on the outside of your neck, touching your neck with anything, let alone a razor of any kind, will be the last thing on your mind.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Switched to electric after I realized that half the area I was shaving was numb from the surgery, and I could potentially cut half my face off before I realized it.

Very big safety feature using electric razor.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

A major consideration is infection. My wife got me a nice Panasonic wet/dry cordless and it works great. Plus I don't need to shave my neck at all EVER again. Over 4 months out I still use a Trac III every now and then for a really close shave and haven't had any problems.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My husband underwent radiation and Chemo last summer for stage IV tonsil cancer with mets to one
lymph node. He was told to use an electric razor during treatment. Now a year later he is feeling great but has no beard on the sides of his face or mustache. He now only shaves his chin. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23