My advice - I would do the surgery (neck dissection...) 3-4 weeks to heal then radiation and chemo. I did a bit of reading and they say adeno squamous carcinoma should be treated as a high grade scc - my reasoning for suggesting the surgery is two fold... First off its hard to operate on radiated skin (in case the node doesn't die off) -. Secondly HPV related cancers respond well to rads and chemo - therefore may not require surgery depending on size, location etc..., however this is non HPV related and thus usually the treatment for standard scc is surgery (often including a neck dissection ) then radiation/chemo for any possible clean up. Plus if they remove what the "know to be cancer" then rads is just sweeping up the remnants. Definitely get a solid second opinion. The mayo clinic sounds good, but have they met your husband examined him, his films and read his file? Regardless good luck with everything.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan