Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My husband Ron is starting to have more dental "issues" as time goes by. I guess that's why they call radiation the gift that keeps on giving. But he didn't have the best teeth to begin with. Hope you'll be OK!

All the best,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Stephen, it sounds to me as though you've taken all the right precautions. As I'm sure your docs have told you, radiation can affect your parotid (salivary) glands rather negatively. Every one of us has a different reaction so you'll need to see how much xerostomia (dry mouth) you end up with. Which probably seems like crazy talk right now to you, as no doubt you're experiencing all kinds of excess mucous from the RT.

But that will go away in time (even though it can be hard to believe sometimes). There are a number of products that can help with the dryness and I hope you've been given prescriptions for appropriate fluids and balms, etc.

Many of the post-treatment products are made by Biotene, which is the brand of toothpaste and mouthwash recommended to me and that I use every day in addition to the fluoride trays. They also make gels and gum and whatnot.

As you progress through treatment and recovery please ask your team about this, as well as all of us here.

You're meeting this challenge with great spirit and courage!

Thinking of you.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

One thing I was never aware of is that older people often have a saliva reduction, some more severely. So then their teeth tend to decay and they lose them. They don't need radiation to make this happen, it happens to them as part of their particular aging process, which may be exacerbated by various drugs they are on. That is not to say older people all have dentures, no, no, no. But there are some older people that struggle just the way we do with lack of saliva. I myself don't have tons of saliva at 12 months out, but my mouth is certainly moist, and I can eat some foods that others can't (bread, pita chips, for instance) so I guess I am doing ok. My husband, a GP dentist, tells me that I have lots more saliva than several of his older patients, who brush, floss, and fluoride their remaining teeth, as it is a battle for them.

It is, as David pointed out, the dry mouth (xerostomia) that creates much of the problem. Then of course, the saliva that we have left may not have the same protective properties our "old" saliva possessed. Now of course, I am not going to decide just what defines those "older people" in terms of numerical age. I was younger, now I'm getting on the far side of middle aged, I guess.

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021

I cannot stress it strong enough to get yourself to floss every night. You only need to do it once before bed as it takes 24 hours for the plaque to build up.

My dentist said if everyone flossed he'd be either out of a job or working part time.

Just stay on top of it. Use the trays after you floss and brush. You may lose a couple but fight very hard to keep them all.

And BTW, your dentist needs to be familiar with radiation and teeth. The cavities grow on the bottom gum line and a lot of dentists don't want to try to fill them there as it's hard to do. Make a pact with your dentist that together you won't lose any.

Good luck,

Tom

Diagnosis: Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma
Tumor on base of tongue removed Nov 9,2011
Radical Neck Dissection with 2 positive lymph nodes on Jan 11,2012
Will start low dose RT in a few weeks.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have not read anything about Hyperbaric Chamber treatments on this question.
Treatments are called "Dives", as you are in a pressure chamber, with pure oxygen for 1 to 3 hours at a time, to a pressure equivalent to 35 to 40 feet underwater.
This forces O2 into your cells, and is quite remarkable in resulting healing rates.

I was warned before my jaw/tongue replacement, that I could suffer from "bone death" if I had subsequent jawbone exposure( teeth removal), WITHOUT FIRST going thru HBO2 treatments.
My teeth were bad from oral radiation 2 years previous to jaw transplant, dry mouth, resulting in advanced decay of teeth.
My surgery resulted in 2+ weeks in forced coma, while the hospital fought donor-site infection: imagine what damage that can do to your teeth, plus 2 weeks intensive care/recovery, not a toothbrush for nearly 4 weeks straight.
My dentist got with my oral surgeon before surgery, they planned my teeth treatments, so they and I knew what to expect.
After surgery, DDS rebuilt my teeth, did not pull any.
Hyperbaric Treatment is extremely important, see if it is available in your city, as many treatments are required, I was scheduled for 40.
Knowledge is Power

Last edited by seattlepaul; 02-14-2012 10:42 PM.

69yo male, Steam Engineer, Me=4,SCC=0, loving wife, living life as it comes (no other option)
We are all born from Mother, but live and die alone.
Make the best of it, Mommie did all she could, daddy was just a guidance councelor, the rest is ALL up to you.
...and now, 3rd occurance: Surgery 5/1/12

my dentist just gave me the estimate to save my teeth-40k before he does the bridge he isn't sure will hold. my wonderful health insuranc will pay to have my teeth extracted if it is seven or more. my doc says everything i do with my teeth is at risk of infection. my dental insurance will now pay for 4 peridontal cleanings a year, which i think i should skip if i need to lose my teeth. insurance is the pits. any suggestions?

after 3 sarcma flr mouth,fially removed, reconstruct from thigh muscle. 1/2 saliva glands removed, plus more glands than i can remember

i hate life

after 3 sarcma flr mouth,fially removed, reconstruct from thigh muscle. 1/2 saliva glands removed, plus more glands than i can remember
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Find another dentist and tell this one you're unwilling to completely fund his new Mercedes... You can get a full set of the best veneers for 15,000 he's just greedy

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Mick,

As hard as it is for me to say this...I agree with Cheryl (wow, less painful then I thought it would be!! laugh ) find a new dentist.

Facts of the matter are that our teeth after treatment need good care and even then they will break down at a rate faster then "normal". Not only do they breakdown due to the radiation but the xerostomia (dry mouth) usually experienced by Oral Cancer patients. Due to facial paralysis one side of my mouth droops and never closes, furthering the dry mouth and making my teeth deteriorate even faster. I've come to grips that I'll have to have them all pulled and have implants as dentures are out of the question on my lower due to the mandiblectomy.

Where it's a pain in my ass, it's not the end of the world to me. I've learned to live on mostly a liquid and soft food diet, even gain significant muscle mass. I know life is much more then a set of pearly whites. When I'm finally able to have the rest of my teeth extracted and implants put in then great, but I won't allow the little details take away from the fact that I'm alive and can make the most out of each day.

Keep your chin up Mick, it's a journey my friend.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 02-26-2012 11:19 AM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Find a dentist who specializes in Prosthodontics. They will be familiar with how to best take care of your teeth. Dont give up and lose them because of your dentist. Its not his teeth. Hope you will fight to keep them. Take it from someone who lost theirs, teeth are necessary to having a more normal life.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma