Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Laz Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have just finished my last set of Rads on December 5th and am well on my way to a full recovery (hats off to Dr Goodwin and Dr Samuels at Sylvester - University of Miami). They are super guys and having the latest rad equipment (Varian Rapid Arc IGRT) makes a huge difference in minimizing the side effects. For those that will be making a decision of where to go for treatment, having the lastest rad kit would be a very big factor in my decision making process.

With my cancer and subsequent recovery, many things worked in my favor including the fact that the cancer was HPV+

A question that I have been asking all my Doctors is, what is the effect of mild alcohol consumption on the chance of my cancer reoccurring? When I say mild, let's say 1-2 glasses of wine/beer a couple times per week.

Some say that 1-2 per day is no problem while a few young interns had said "If it was me, I would never touch alcohol again" Being young (50 years old) with a 3 year old daughter I plan on being around for a long time so I will do what I have to do (not that never having a glass of wine or pint of ale is a big sacrifice).

However if there is no harm, I would like to enjoy a glass of wine with family/friends and/or an ale with my team/friends at a game. I do realize the days of 2-3 super dry martinis, no olives double twist with business associates or a couple shots of tequila with friends is behind me.

I would appreciate any comments (including posts of any studies) of the effects of alcohol consumption on the increased chance of reoccurrence on HPV+ cancers.

In the interim, I hope that all of you and your families have a wonderful holiday.

Regards - Steve

50 yr old, male
SCC of Lymph node right side of neck - 6/30/11
Biopsy: 8/23/2011
MND Right side- 9/19/2011 - 18 nodes - 17 clear
T1N1M0 source on right tonsil tissue
HPV+
IMRT 33 sessions started 10/18/11. Finished 12/5/11
No Chemo
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Personally - I don't drink - I would be surprised if at this point you would enjoy either of those since your tastebuds may be completely off. I am still not good with even fruit juice 7 ms out. I think one or two - a week isn't a bad thing but alcohol is an irritant so... I would keep it limited!! Good luck and happy holidays!!!! smile

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I personally won't ever put anything with alcohol in my mouth again. That includes even mouthwash. I was not much of a drinker before so it's not a big sacrifice. I am 2 months out from my last rad treatment and I think it would still bother my mouth at this point.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

31 @ Dx SCC of tongue right side May 27, 2011, no tobacco, light drink
Partial gloss. and ND June 2011 - 2 jaw nodes positive ("encapsulated")
33 rads ended 10/21/11.
Dx Non small cell lung cancer 05/18/15

Steve

It's a moot issue to me now since no one has shown any bad effects from alcohol in a feeding tube totally bypassing the oral cavity (of course it could also just be that there are zero studies on us tube feeders and alcohol). My doctors now do not object to putting wine down my feeding tube (beer is too fizzy). However back when I could still drink after the first round of cancer, all three of my doctors (ENT, RO, MO) told me a beer or two a night was fine and better than wine, but no hard liquor or spirits at all. I actually avoided a feeding tube during my first radiation and chemo by drinking one Tecate a night: if felt great and added those extra calories and washed down food. Even when I went to Ensure, I could still do a Tecate.
There are no guarantees with Cancer and people who scrupulously avoid alcohol still have recurrences. But with the low alcohol content of beer, my doctors were fine with it.
But then I"m old and my son is grown. My doctors did all stress to avoid any mouthwash with alcohol in it.
Have a merry christmas with your family
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-23-2011 06:27 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Steve, IMO you're asking the proverbial $64,000 question! If you do a search for the word alcohol on this forum I think you'll find a number of threads that address it in detail.

Cheryl and Cherri make good points about the irritant effects. But, all things being equal, that should be a temporary issue. For myself here at over 2 years out from treatment I can eat and drink just about anything except extremely spicy food. If I'm reading you right you're talking about the long haul and indeed it's something to consider carefully.

I got 2 opinions from my RO (my main doc) and my MO. The first tells me never to drink again. The second tells me that moderate alcohol consumption shouldn't be a problem since, like you, my cancer was most likely HPV-related. I'd decided to err on the side of caution, reasoning that as much as I love wine and beer, I much prefer breathing.

As a result I haven't had even a drop of alcohol in 2 years. The RO said I could have a glass of champagne on New Year's, for instance. Did it 2 years ago but not last year for some reason. But I have a really fine bottle I was given as a gift in the fridge and might just crack it next week.

Lately though I've been thinking some more. I had a checkup with the MO again a month ago and we discussed the issue and he once again gave me the same opinion. He's a smart guy, a professor at the UCLA School of Medicine and CCC.... but then, my RO is also a very smart gal and I've always trusted her opinions unquestionably. Some day I'd love to get the two of them in the same room!

I will continue to ponder the issue. Maybe others will weigh in. But do check the previous threads.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My ENT said that an occasional beer wouldn't hurt, but I prefer not to take the chance. I am two years out and even a little bit of communion wine bothered my mouth. Last New Years' Eve I had a coffee with a little kalua with cream, and the cream seemed to counteract the alcohol burn, but that's all I have had. I do miss having a glass of wine on occasion, but as David said, I prefer breathing.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

Yes, an occasional drink probably wouldn't hurt but 2 things; 1. If alcohol containing mouthwash (and don't forget NyQuil) is a bad idea (and you spit that out right?) and,
2. Being in AA for the past 16 years, when people say they only had "2 drinks" - it actually meant a bottle or more. I have to admit, I don't miss it.

I am not against drinking in general, I even buy people drinks on occasion. Would I risk a recurrance for an occasional drink (if I did drink), I think not. And as David said "I much prefer breathing".

It's a decision only you can make

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Although I've only seen research on the correlation between tobacco (including second-hand) and HPV+ throat cancer recurrence, I don't know that it isn't possible that alchohol could cause a similar problem. Alcohol certainly is an issue with HPV- cancer.

I think that if your life were totally yours, the odd drink probably wouldn't be an issue. The problem is, your life isn't your own with a young child. You have a three year old daughter: you want to be there to see her through school and into young adulthood. Maybe wait for your pint of ale when she can join you for it on her 21st birthday.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23