Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143640 12-05-2011 03:43 PM
OP Offline

i just have a simple question about PEG tubes... it bothers me a lot cause im confused about a J/G tube... PEG tube... whats the difference?

i ask because im browsing the threads for someone maybe having a tube like mine. it has 3 ports. GASTRIC, JEJUNAL AND BAL.

the radialogist who changed my peg ( just 4 days ago ) told me to use the Jejunal port for food intake and dont mess with the other two. im new using this tube, coz the last one i got only has 1 port. all goes into there. now i got 3... and on the gastric port i can see that there is a yellowish fluid inside the tube. (the tube is clear by the way) i dont know if i can flush it water coz it bothers me. and that being said, what is the purpose of that gastric port anyway?
im havng some stomachache lately... its feels like air is in my stomach... im thinking maybe open the gastric port and hoping my stomach pain would go away =(

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You have a J/G tube. That is what I have too. I have had the peg tube in the past, so I am familiar with both. You can use either the gastric and jejunal to do feedings. The peg tube goes into your stomach with only one tube. A J/G tube has 3 tubes, the gastric one going into your stomach and the jejunal tube goes into your intestine right past the stomach.

I tend to stick to using the jejunal port the most since that is the biggest tube. Even with using the bigger one, it can still clog if its not rinsed immediately after using. You can flush the gastric tube. I use the gastric one for taking my medicines.

Another issue to be aware of with having a J/G tube is they need to be frequently replaced. They wear out much quicker than the PEG tubes do. Its not a big deal, a 15/20 minute out patient procedure. I usually end up getting mine swapped out every 2 to 3 months.

I would try taking something over the counter for your stomachache. If that doesnt work ask your doc for a prescription for zofran. I dissolve it in water and put it in my gastric port. It usually does the trick for me. It wont hurt you to uncap the gastric port, just make sure you hold it up so your stomach juices dont run out. That can cause even more stomach distress.

Best wishes, hope you feel better very soon!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My goodness, every time I read a message, I am thrilled at how easy my cancer treatments have been, you folks all qualify as HERO, in my book.

69yo male, Steam Engineer, Me=4,SCC=0, loving wife, living life as it comes (no other option)
We are all born from Mother, but live and die alone.
Make the best of it, Mommie did all she could, daddy was just a guidance councelor, the rest is ALL up to you.
...and now, 3rd occurance: Surgery 5/1/12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I totally agree, Steve. You will get answers to about any question you have or problem you encounter on this Forum. Christine is a special person on the Forum who, not only because she's an administrator, has so much concern for others, plus a whole bunch of experience. We're so lucky to have this Forum to turn to.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23