Next Thread
Print Thread
#143400 11-29-2011 07:44 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Just 4 months after my surgery and 6 weeks after completing my radiation/chemotherapy, I discovered a small lump on my collar bone. This was on my right side where the collar bone joins the sternum and as it was on the opposite side from my surgery I didn't think it could be too serious - even my surgeon was'nt too concerned and said he didn't think it was cancerous.
I had this lump taken out and duly analysed and my run of luck continues (!) as it turns out to be an SCC. Further examination shows another smaller lump further along my right collar bone and another larger one has emerged on my Adams apple. Have had another MRI scan and will have another CT scan this weekend.
Have been told that I may need more minor surgery and probably more radiation. The surgery doesn't really bother me too much but was wondering if anyone out there could shed any light on the nature of a second bout of radiation - I suppose I was too shellshocked to ask my Max/Fac surgeon when the pathology results came back.

50 yrs.Non smok.Mod drink.
Tongue canc SCC T2N0M0.
Surg. Jul '11 1/3 rd of tongue rem. & sel. neck diss.PEG fitted.
Aug '11 6 wks chemo/radio.3 more canc. nodes rem.
Feb '12 18 wks chemo.
Nov. '12 Mod rad neck diss on right, & pec flap rep. rem. of tumour under chin. More rad to follow in 2013.
**update** Passed away September 26, 2013
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wow... that's a new one... A friend of mine found it in her skin through her neck... at this point she hadn't had rads or chemo yet. But it did take care of it when she did. I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Hopefully they get it all this time (a recurrence this early in the game often means they didn't get it all to begin with).

As for a second radiation there are a few people here who've had it. I think the fallout depends on where the initial radiation was and if they are re-radiating the area or if this is a new location... not sure if you had bilateral radiation to your neck during your prior radiation if not hopefully it won't make any post radiation issues too bad. Though there may be some overlap to the areas (especially your adams apple area). I'm sure those who've done radiation twice will pipe up. However - I would say that try to maintain your swallowing reflex - I think this is the one thing a lot of double radiation people have issues with after the second dose... plus more fibrosis. SO do whatever you can to minimize this - physio therapy, (even now) maybe some acupuncture... as the acupuncture brings blood into the area and helps break up the scar tissue. Plus stretching etc...

Saying a prayer that this is it... they will remove it all this time and you will be done with it. good luck on your CT and MRI. and hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23