Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143273 11-24-2011 11:28 AM
Dunin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi;
Not much to say about myself really. Have a very large, hard, immobile lymph node just under the jaw line. It has definitely increased in size, and now have two smaller lumps below this one.
Difficulty swallowing, hoarse voice. Productive cough producing dark grey to black centers. Very tired, weak. Sometimes sudden bouts of morning vomiting. Severe burning in throat. Any suggestions? I do not know how to get the doctor to check it out.
Thank you

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Go to your family dr. Request a referral to an ENT... they will likely do a biopsy. Explain to your dr. you cannot wait (I am sure he will not make you wait knowing this!) If worse comes to worse and you are made to wait 5-6 weeks for your appointment... ask your family dr. to call on your behalf to try and get you in sooner. There are always urgent spaces available for patients, so likely they will place you in one of these but if not then don't wait. If this doesn't work call the referral dr. (ENT directly) explain you are panicked say you think it may be cancer - and tell them you will take any opening or cancellation, on short notice. If they call - drop what you are doing and go immediately - even if you are at work. Push. Make noise. You are your own advocate. If you don't, they will just place you wherever... unless your dr. makes it clear this is important.

A biopsy is the only way of determining for sure if you have cancer... but the ENT will likely scope you, and may be able to see something that way. Biopsy results can take up to two weeks.

Do this all as soon as you can... we are heading into christmas and things slow down dramatically during that time. In the mean time, your family dr. can set you up with a CT of the head and neck, and a chest ct too. This can be done within a week and the results can be received the next day. It would be good to go to the ENT with the CT results in hand... also the CT will tell them any areas of concern.

I am not sure where you are in Canada... I am in toronto - PMH is the best facility for this cancer if you are in ontario.

good luck. I very much hope you don't have to be here but if you do there are many here who can give you advice and support. Take care and many blessings to you.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Are you losing weight? If you are, make sure you mention it. That always gets a doctor to sit up and take notice.

And everything Cheryl says.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Your etiology is not completely consistent with OC. I can't recall any of us having vomiting and most of us never have pain. In fact, OC is, by and large, a stealthy disease. Enlarged, swollen and tender lymph nodes are also consistent with infections. Your discharge is another clue. Never the less, you should still follow Cheryl's advice and make an immediate appointment with an ENT and resolve whatever the issue is. Take a deep breath...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23