Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi,
I have just turned 23 last week,male...i have a history of moderate smoking(4 to 8 cigs a day) since i was 15,i have quit for periods as long as 1 year in between,and occasional drinking,when i do drink at parties sometimes it is heavy but for months and weeks i sometimes don't drink at all...
About 5 months ago i noticed irritation and burning sensation on an area on my upper fron gum,thought that it is due to rough brushing but the irritation didnot stop,about a month ago i looked in the mirror with the flashlight from camera and their were two fullstop sized small white dots and the skin,about a quarter of a mm,very small is rough when i touch it with my tongue...since a week irritation increased and pain started in the upper jaw aswell....today i went to the dentist,he is a foreign qualified dental and oral surgeon and member of American Dental Association,at first he said it was nothing and he sees nothing,then when i put my fingers on the area and he used a magnifying glass,he took a good look at it and then said it is nothing,just some rough tissue,and rough brushing could be a cause,when i said that why has it not healed for 5,6 months and i kept asking him more and more questions about oral cancer,he said that their is a 1 in a million chance that it is a cancer,it could be a lesion but that is a maybe,he said that he doesnot recommend biopsy because he doesnot think that i need to spend a huge amount of money on biopsy because he doesnot think that it is anything serious considering my age and my health,he gave me an anti plaque mouthwash and thats it...
should i consult another oral/dental surgeon for a second opinion?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Samus, many people on this forum have not fit the general mold of an oral cancer patient. Unfortunately many dentists can not visually recognize or distinguish an cancerous oral cancer tumor vs something non malignant. I would advise you to make an appointment with an ENT who is experienced with oral cancers. A biopsy will give you a definitive answer. The rule goes like this, any sore that has been inside your mouth for over 2 or 3 weeks should be checked by a professional. Sadly you are not too young to have oral cancer so please get checked by a qualified ENT. Make sure you tell them everything you told us and the dentist.

As a former smoker, I know its not easy to quit. Do yourself a huge favor and stop smoking immediately. Why put yourself at risk for getting oral cancer, lung cancer or even dying all for a couple of cigs. I cant stress how important it is to quit! If you saw what I looked like now after having oral cancer, you would never smoke again.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Ditto very good advice... please have it checked by and ENT. and good luck.

Last edited by Cheryld; 11-23-2011 02:15 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Yes so i have been to one dentist,one dental surgeon and finally after appointment to one of the best oral surgeons in the city and the final consensus is that it is an irritation formed by either stress or anxiety,it is not even a complete white patch and not even a lesion at this moment,however it could turn into a lesion in the future if not taken care of,and the worst case scenario after my repeated questions that it could lead to leukoplakia,but that is a big IF,and he said most of those are not dangerous and easily treatable,he said its good that you have come at a very early stage and again reassured that it is NOTHING right now and the doctor said to not jump to conclusions,he has prescribed KENALOG in orabase ointment(TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE) AND told to use it 3 times a day for 3 to 4 weeks and also has prescribed a zinc,vitamin e,c,folic acid and b-complex multivitamin formula....when i asked for a cause he said it could be zinc deficiency or extreme stress,i suffer from depression,psychosis and severe anxiety since i was 15....so all in all please pray for me and i have my fingers crossed smile

"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

And i have quit smoking on the advice of members of this forum,my friends and family.PERIOD. the oral surgeon told me that you are lucky you are at a young age right now and your immune system and body is strong,99.9 percent you don't have anything right now but in a few years you could,i have decided that life is too precious and i don't just live for myself but i have my parents who are nearing an age when they will need my care and my younger brothers who look up to me...i won't waste life like this,no smoking,this frightening experience has opened my eyes,this fear has made me realize that i will take care of my body from now...please pray for me that this thing heals and thanks alot for the advice

Excellent news! Congrats on being intelligent enough to understand how fortunate you are. So glad you have quit smoking! Best wishes to you for a long, healthy future.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma