Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
joanb99 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I had my hard palette removed due to squamous (?) cell cancer and was told I had to have radiation. I went through 2 weeks of radiation and wanted to quit I felt so awful. My surgeon forced me to continue (after a week off to rest). I went thru another week of radiation and now told my radiation oncologist I can't continue with this treatment. He pretty much repeated what the surgeon said "You may wind up getting a new mass and we won't be able to treat it." He has now told me to take this week off (again) and call him Monday if I decided either way....I am at a point where I'm not sleeping at night from fear of being trapped on that table. I suffer with vertigo and getting onto the table and off of it is a nightmare, not to mention the mask that hurts it's so tight and being locked to the table is terrifying to me. Am I just being a baby about all this, be honest. I can no longer eat, everything has a horrible taste, my face is burned and hurts/itches, my stomach is a mess from not eating and taking meds.,I have no saliva and I cough, choke and retch all day long. Does anyone know if 15 treatments is enough? The doctor wants me back for another 11 treatments and I dread it. Thanks for your help.

Joan Basilicata
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Joan, You have found the best place for support to get you through those 11 treatments. And, yes, you need to complete them. There are standards of care for treatments which is most likely why your doctor is being persistent. He wants you to have the best opportunity to be cancer free. Unfortunately, radiation treatment is the only thing that kills SC oral cancer.

I am sorry you are suffering and that the treatments are difficult for you to get through. It is an awful process, to be sure. But, sometimes it helps to remember that radiation will do an excellent job in ridding your body of cancer. And, please keep in mind that the treatments WILL end. You will recover. You will have a life. I can't say the same about it if you don't go through treatment.

You are on a marathon of sorts. It is a difficult road, but you won't be on it for very long. If you put your mind to it and gather as much support and assistance you can find to handle the treatments, you will reach the finish line. And, as with any other contest, you can't win if you don't get in the race!

Do you have a feeding tube? If you don't, you might want to consider one. It will help you feel better to keep well nourished and hydrated. Many people on this forum have used a feeding tube. It has helped them get through treatment. It isn't a horrible procedure and can make your life much more pleasant while you are going through treatment.

Perhaps there's something your doctor can do to alleviate your anxiety. Please try to let your mind wander to some other place while you are on the table. Sometimes visualizing something pleasant and concentrating on it can help you tame your fears.

Please remember that you are fortunate to be able to have treatment that can save your life. Some people are not as lucky. It's a tough thing to endure. But, think of it as an accomplishment. You are tougher and stronger than you can imagine. You can do it. And, you'll have people here, on the OCF forum, to help you whenever you need it.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Sandy

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Joan, I can only agree with what Sandy has said. Radiation treatments are awful; I totally agree, but you can and must get through them. I am the biggest coward in the world, and I got through over 35 treatments, plus surgery, plus three bouts of chemo. I know lying on that table is horrible, and you feel so helpless being strapped down with the mask, but as Sandy said, it is killing the cancer. I also had a feeding tube, and I hated it, but was glad that I had it. Please, please, please complete your treatments. I certainly don't think you are being a baby; we have all had those feelings, but I am two years out of treatment and just had another clear scan. Come here as often as you want, there are some terrific people here that will give you great advice and support.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

P.S. When I was on the table I listened to music (they let me bring my own CDs) and I used to count the number sof songs, to figure how much time I left on the table.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Joan and welcome. 6 weeks from now when youve completed your treatment you will be able to come back here and offer advice to another newbie. Please finish treatment. It's highly unpleasant - I did 33 plus chemo. Yes it's painful, yes it's uncomfortable but it can also cure you. I too had a sore mouth (though i was blessed that it wasn't as bad as some people) I had the drool, the complete lack of taste - etc...
Try using cream repeatedly on your skin - diligence will pay off - find one that works... And put a little on in the morning, and more on right after treatment, later in the day and right before bed. A water pik with lukewarm water and on the very lowest setting will help you feel a little fresher and get rid of the the guck in your mouth. I also slept with a humidifier nearby, when it came time to eat I would take a pain med - use some magic mouthwash and then chug an ensure (this was towards the end as I was okay for pain up until week 6). It was quick and kept me hydrated and nourished. Prepare and carry around a bottle of flat Luke warm club soda you can rinse and swallow or the recommended baking soda you can swish and spit do this frequently!! You will get rough this - and zengalib is right, maybe ask for anti anxiety meds, take one 30 minutes before treatment. Hen go in, close your yes and tell them to crank the music and go somewhere else mentally - I practic yoga so I said mantras and treated it like a shavasna (meditation) good luck you can do this please persevere. Good luck - and no you're not a wimp - everyone handles this stuff differently. Hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
joanb99 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you and God bless you all for the very good advice. I do take an anti-anxiety medication, guess I'll have to up the dosage. All of you, my family members and friends have convince me I really have no choice and must continue on this road to recovery. Many thanks again smile

Joan Basilicata
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF, Joan! I know its horrible going thru radiation. Ive done it too. I wanted to quit. I even tried to quit but my nurse wouldnt let me. My son said to me "You are going if I have to carry you in there, so either get dressed or you are going in your pajamas". He was only 17 at the time. Im happy to see others have welcomed you and reinforced the fact that the best chance to beat this is to finish the treatments.

You have found a terrific resource for info and guidance. When you need someone to lean on we are always here. Hang in there we will help get you thru this!

I want to clarify and expand some info about using cream on your skin prior to getting radiation treatments. Cheryl is correct about using a good cream to help soothe your skin. There are many over the counter ones available and also some prescription creams that will work even better. When putting cream on, always pat it on. Never rub it in. Apply it several times per day, but NEVER before going to a radiation treatment. It can cause problems if used immediately before having a treatment. I would keep the cream in my purse and pat some on when I finished my treatment. I would reapply it a few more times. After showering, pat your neck and face dry and apply another coat of the cream. Allow the cream to soak in by itself. If you forget and apply creams before your radiation treatment, take a warm wet washcloth and very gently wipe it off before your treatment.

Best wishes with your successful upcoming completion!

Last edited by ChristineB; 11-22-2011 09:59 PM. Reason: add info

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi Joan. Most of us know what you are going through. I too had 35 rad tx with weekly chemo and it was horrible but I go through and have been cancer free for 3 1/2 years now. My taste and ability to swallow took a long time but it's all back very close to normal now. Go ahead and up your dose of Valium or whatever you're taking for anxiety. I had some issues with claustrophobia and Valium was the only way I got through those tx. You'll get through this and on the road to recovery, may seem like a long time but eventually it will all just be a memory.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.

Good luck, and God Bless you, Joan. We are all here rooting for you. I am a big wuss and I got through it, and you can, too. (sometimes I can't believe it myself). Please keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and best wishes. Rads are tough but not taking the treatment ends in the worse possilbe consequences for you and your family. Hang in there and it will soon be over!! Semper-Fi Bob

Bob age 57, non smoker,non drinker, ended treatment on 11 Nov 2007 and started back to work on 29 Nov 2007. Veterans Day 2012 the Battle was lowered, folded, Taps was played and the Flag buried as I am know a 5 year survivor. Semper-FI !!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics