Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi All,

I thought I would ask on this board...as you all have been so helpful

So, I am 10 weeks post resection on my soft palate (salivary gland tumor) after being diagnosed with MEC

I was fortunate that my Dr used alloderm and my tissue has regenerated micely and my "hole" has filled in rather well. I was told to watch/pay attention diligently to any symptoms such as numbness, tingling, pain or fullness until my next followup/scan on Dec 7th.

Since my surgery I have had pressure against my inner ear and i have a hard time hearing in that ear. IT started to subside a few weeks ago but has come back and then some this past week. I also have a feeling on my soft palate, as if I am gagging any time I swallow. I am calling tomorrow for an earlier follow up but just asking here. Not trying to worry but we did not get clean margin on my resection so...I have that always on the back of my mind.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Linda

Found questionable spot in routine dental cleaning 6/28/11
Consult w/ Oral Surgeon 7/20
Lesion removed for Biopsy 7/28/11
DX 8/3/11 MEC (Grade Low2)
upcoming resection surgery 8/31
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Linda!

It is perfectly normal to have those thoughts in the back of your mind, I think the majority of us get hypervigilant after our experience of anything going on in the head and neck area.

The best thing is to call and talk to your medical team to get clarity and answer some of your questions. Since you live in Seattle I hope you went to the UW Medical Center which is one of the top programs in the country. Dr. Futran was my surgeon there and Carol Stimpson was his Nurse Practitioner. My wife and I were given her # for any follow up questions or concerns we had and she was very useful.

Don't let the worry take over though, call and if they can't answer your questions or ease your concerns over the phone, then go in and get it examined. Worry and stress will slow recovery my dear. Just remember to breath and take it one step at a time.

Good luck

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Well Linda, I just read through your previous posts and see that you are in fact at the UWMC with Dr. Futran and Carol Stimpson nurse practitioner. They were the team that pieced me back together and kept me alive almost 4 years ago now so I have confidence in your care.

The UWMC is ranked 6th in cancer care and 12th in ENT according to the US News and World Report rankings. They are a top program although I did remind Dr. Moe (ENT surgeon there that did my facial nerve graft) that they don't give out medals for 6th or 12th place and they need to up there game a bit. I'm a dick that way wink

Anyway, you are in good hands as I credit that program as the reason I'm able to bust chops still to this day instead of taking a dirt nap. Carol was always very good at being able to answer most of my questions and keep my mind at ease.

Keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

No one answered your original question. Normal "soft tissue" feels consistently soft and squishy, including organs. That's why doctors do palpation exams during physicals and H&N (or ENT's) palpate the neck region. Masses are typically denser and feeling of fullness 0r firmness (or, simply, a lump). Additionally cancerous lymph nodes will feel almond shaped. Of course an infection will also cause lymph nodes to swell and feel "full". It is always wise to have these types of things checked out immediately.

Inner ear infections (fluid buildup and pain) are pretty common with surgery and/or radiation. I still get them just about annually. A week of Prednisone and I'm good to go. They can visualize the fluid buildup simply with an otoscope.

Last edited by Gary; 11-21-2011 02:39 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics