Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1427 07-23-2003 12:33 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

My wife and I saw the surgeon today and got the results of all the tests. I have a T3 nomo on my right tonsil which is also on the roof of my mouth and a little on the base of my tongue. My lymph nodes are mormal size and my lungs look good. It is all not rosie but could have been much worse. They are planning to insert a feeding tube prior to surgery and plan on removing the tumor and using a pech muscle from my chest to rebuild my throat. I see the rd onocoligest on Friday and plan on asking him if my chances are
as good without the surgery. The surgeon says if you have the rd first and than require surgery it would be more dangerous due to the damage from the radation. I tend to agree with him. I am a small man to begin with and he told me i will lose at least 20 lbs. I only weigh 136 now. I plan on eating like a pig for the next seven days.
My son is a us marine and has been in the war since February, the red cross got him a 30 day leave, he arrives home in two days. We haven't seen him for 1-1/2 years. We are thankful for that. I had trays made at my dentist to soak my teeth in floride during the radation treatments.(a tip from Gary A.)Thank you Gary. I think I am getting over the poor me part of this and am ready to fight like hell to survive this. This website has helped me more than anything else. You will see more posts from me as i have alot of questions yet. Any advice is appre. Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1428 07-23-2003 01:53 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Dan,

I'm not sure where to start. First, for the really important thing. When he arrives home please pass on my thanks to your son for his willingness to serve.

No about these little medical problems you and I are having...

I've stated elsewhere that I think the attitude we take with us into this time is very important. It is natural to have to deal with the "poor me" side but I am glad to hear that you are now ready fight like hell (although I usually rely on the other side of things ;-) ).

My doctors also recommended surgery first and they made a very good case for it. (Not the least of which mentally I will know that most if not all of the cancer [which is the likely result] is gone). I think one of the most helpful things for me to remain in good spirits about this is that I now have a plan in place. Others have said that mentally atleast the most difficult time can be the period between diagnosis and when treatment begins. I now really understand that. Just having a treatment plan, even with the questions that remain, has lifted my spirits alot. I hope the same is true for you.

Since I will still be in recovery when you go in for your surgery I won't be able to lat you know how things went. I do expect them to go very well, for both of us.

I can promise you that you are in my prayers.

Peace,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.
#1429 07-23-2003 03:00 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Father Mike, I plan on enjoying the next week with my family and friends. Your surgery and recovery will be on my mind. I was always a private person but this forum is changing that. I want to reach out to all the people who have supported me and it's refreshing to know there are such kind strangers in this world. Good luck and I'll talk to you soon. Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1430 07-23-2003 05:34 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You have said it well, the time before treatment is difficult at best. So many questions, so little time to make the best decisions possible about treatment choices. This early stage is an emotional challenge which you have endured and are ready to move on from. Each of you is now on the path to treatment and eventual recovery. A new and different challenge awaits you, and this one is physical as well as emotional. While difficult, it is knowable, understandable, and most importantly, it has a point of termination which eventually comes. Focus on getting through each day, fight only the battles of that day, and let the future issues and battles wait their turn. Everything one day at a time. If you must think of the future, think of that time when this is in your past and you are both healthy and well again. Attempt not to worry about the next treatment, the next stage, the next obstacle. They will come and go, and in time you will be finished. Trust that in the end you will prevail, and that a normal life awaits you once again. This is just one more challenge in your life, not the last one.

Know that besides your family and immediate friends, you have an extended

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23