Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142593 11-07-2011 05:20 PM
OP Offline

hi, im new here... buy the way you can call me iceman, im a 32 male thats been diagnose with squamous cell carcinoma on the tongue last january of 2006. Ive under go operation and radiation twice ( it recurred... they said =( )
the second time i got operated was on the year 2007. then from there i got my swallowing problem and from then on i havent eating on my mouth. It kinda depressing... until now im still trying to accept what had happend to me... =(

question is, i go this peg tube from the last operation i got and until now its never got replaced. Now im experiencing a leak (not from the inside tho, where the hole to the stomach is but from the tube itself. an inch or two from the top of my peg.) Went to the hospital (a diffrent one from where i got operated) and they said that my peg tube (G tube) is a mushroom TYPE one. They want me to undergo Endoscopy to see the end of it before they replace it. Do i really need an Endoscopy for this? Why? for what i have read Fluoroscopy is olso an option but they dont say that to me. (the doctors)

and if my Gtube is mushroom type, how can they pull it? do i need to be sedated on this? just imagining pulling a mushroom type from my stomach scare the hell out me =(

need some inputs and help...

thank you...

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have a different type myself. Mine is a J/G tube and I go in every other month for outpatient surgery to have a new one put in. I am awake, they use lidocaine to numb my stomach and about 15 - 20 minutes later, I walk out with a brand new tube.

If your tube is leaking it can be easily replaced. Im unsure about what you mean with flouroscopy and endoscopy. Sorry, Im just another patient without a medical background. I have used a feeding tube since 2007, only being rid of it for a few months before I needed it again. For a regular peg tube, yes they can remove it quite easily with one quick yank. I know it seems unbelievable but thats how its done. You will hurt for maybe 2 minutes then feel relief. Your doctors can then put another one in. Depending on the doctor, they could knock you out to do the replacement. Sorry, I cant predict how they will swap it out. I have had my peg tube replaced a couple years ago and it wasnt a big deal. Please call your gastro doctors to get this taken care of. You need your tube to be fully functioning so its best to get it over with.

Good luck!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there - mushroom... Usually something like that is a blown up end to hold the tube in place. You should definitely have it changed more frequently (no tube should stay in for years! , and they should scope you smehow to take a look at it before hand - hence the endo or fluoroscope. They wouldn't yank something like that - they'd deflate it or close the end first which another reason for the scope. If you're nervous they'll relax you with something, or put you out. But you hold definitely have it changed! Good luck, and sorry you've been through the whole mess twice, therapy may help a little, physio, acupuncture, swallowing. Ask about extra therapy to see if you can try to regin some of your function back. Take care.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Short answer: YES, you will need endoscopy.
For liability issues, the doctors at your new hospital have to be able to "look inside" your stomach for two reasons: first to see if the mushroom tip has attached itself to the stomach lining and second to make sure the new tube is actually inside your stomach and not in between the stomach and the skin.
Most G tubes now use the balloon to hold it in your stomach instead of the "mushroom". The advantage of the mushroom is that it lasts much much longer than the balloon, at least a year and sometimes longer. The manufacturers of PEG and G tubes all recommend changing balloon tips at 3 months (button- low profile) to 6 months (tube).
The mushroom folds up easily so it can be pulled out. You can ask for sedation if you are worried I pass on it because I can't stand to sit in the recovery room for an hour. Besides my balloon has usually deflated in 5 months and my G tube just falls out and I've put it back in with bandages and tapes so the doctors have no issues.
The difference between endoscopic and fluoroscopic is that endo is done thru your throat while the fluor is like a live time xray. Both let the doctors "see inside" your stomach. No doctors will use endocopes on me because of all the surgical damage to my throat so I have to go fluor route.

Changing a tube is not a big deal at all, in fact, almost all the pediatric patients with a feeding tube have them changed by their parents and not doctors. It's just hard to change it yourself. GET IT CHANGED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, leaks are bad business.
Keep the Faith
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 11-08-2011 07:18 AM. Reason: toned it down

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

thank you so mch for the info... =)
as of now im still dealing with my leak tube. i just put a tape around it. i have an appointmnt this monday with a doctor to check my peg. i know it took me long time to see a doctor, reason is i dont have an insurance and money is tough for me. =(

If you dont have insurance, call your hospital and ask if they give any help to uninsured patients. Most hospitals will give discounts of up to 100% depending on your financial situation. Most hospitals will not tell you about this, you need to ask. Give them a call, hope it helps.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

its not just i dont have insurance... i also dont have an SS#. i came here in the US last jan 2006 for checkup. coz i did have the operation in the Philippines. I also did a radiation there.
My aunt bought me here to be checked if the cancer is gone. but as soon as the doctors checked me they said they have to operate coz the cancer is still there. so they operate on me. long story short, immigration let me stay in the US for Humanitarian reason. because im sick and i need medical treatment here. ( because medical practice is better here than back @ home )

anyways, my peg got changed today... and D*mn, im having pain right now. coz i have a small one before and now they put a bigger tube. Now im adjusting with my new tube. its longer then i had before. its dangling and i dont kno how to manage it. well a couple more days and ill be used to it... for now im trying to find a comfortable way on how to stick it on me without it dangling on my stomach =)

I made my husband a long yarn necklace and tie it up. That way it is easier to shower and get around without having to tape it.

10/8/10 DX SCC of tongue 11/9/10 rem 1 cm/mod rad neck dis
12/7/10 clear margins on tongue 12/28/10 g-tube n
1/3/11 30 RADS/6 cispla 4/1/11 flap 5/23/11 g-tube out
6/22/11 MRI clear 7/7/11 PET 2 spots 7/14/11 RND 8/1/11 PIIC
9/28/11 5 cyberknife 12/8/11 g-tube n 12/13/11 trach

Leigh Ann
Caregiver

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260