Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

Hi, everyone! This is my first post here.

I'm Mickey, 27 years old. About three weeks ago, I got this ulcer in my mouth. Since I've always had ulcers, I didn't pay much attention to this. However, unlike the previous ones, this one doesn't hurt, and about 4days ago, it started to grow, and still doesn't hurt now. I felt it with my fingers and could feel some hard particles underneath its edge. It's now about 0.4 by 0.23 inches in an irregular shape. I have already scheduled with an oral surgeon, but it would be two weeks later! I'm now worried sick that it might be oral cancer and can't do anything right, been distracted all day long thinking about it. According to my symptoms, are there any other explanations than cancer that it might be?

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mickey, I'm going to let the more knowledgeable folks give you the benefit of their wisdom. And there are many here. The first thing I will say though is: relax. As we'll all tell you, it's not cancer until a biopsy proves it.

There are plenty of different things that could be happening to you (see my first comment), but leukoplakia is the first that pops into my non-expert mind. I'd recommend you check out the wikipedia page about it, and that may lead you to other possible explanations. At least you'll get a sense of the many things that happen in our mouths that AREN'T cancer.

Actually the first thing you might do is just go to the main page here at OCF. Click around, you'll learn tons of stuff that I hope will help you get a handle on your nerves.

We've all been in your position. Wondering whether we have cancer or not. Re-read the last sentence in my first paragraph.

I have no doubt you'll get lots more detailed info from subsequent posters.

Now take a deep breath! Let it out. Do it again.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Thank you for your suggestion David! I know that worries don't help at all before the result of the biopsy, but I just can't shake it off my head. I'm now searching 'round OCF for more information on this, and trying to be less concerned about it for now.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Mickey. I hope your sore turns out to be nothing at all. There are many different things it could be. Anything that has been there for 2 weeks or longer should be checked out. I know 2 weeks seems like a very long time to wait til you get checked but it wont change things. Alot of doctors will first do a consultation, next visit the biopsy and the third visit will be the results. Make sure you are seeing an oral surgeon who is familiar with oral cancer. Stay calm, it wont help things to be upset. Try to keep busy to help keep your mind off worrying. Hope you dont need to be here but if you do we will help guide you. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you a lot Christine! I am scheduling with an oral surgeon. I will try my best to stay calm about it and occupy my mind with something else.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Try getting in with an ENT you might be able to see one sooner... Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Hi Mickey - I'm so glad you found this place! Hope you get to see the Oral Surgeon or ENT very soon. The waiting when you don't know for sure what the problem is can be so-o-o stressful! It really doesn't hurt to call (or have someone call for you) to try and get in sooner. Often they can schedule you in sooner or switch their appointments around or even let you know about someone else's cancellation and fit you in. No sense prolonging the waiting and wondering if you don't have to. Once you find out what's happening, you will feel a LOT better and be able to do something about it. Let us know what's happening, ok?

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thanks everyone! I tried to schedule with an ENT, but my student insurance doesn't include any ENT surgeons. I was lucky enough to have a reschedule with the oral surgeon next Tuesday, so it would be only one week.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I know
there is no way you are going to relax and not worry about this but, while we do have people your age who have had cancer, the odds are on your side at your age. If you don't smoke, chew or drink excessively, all the better. Good luck to you and please let us know whichever way it goes.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
OP Offline

Since I couldn't wait for another 4 or 5 days, I went to the Emergency at our local hospital today, and an assistant physician had it checked. I told him it was there for three weeks and I went there only because of its irregular shape, big size and painlessness. He looked into it and felt underneath it and then checked the other parts of the inside of my mouth, said it was only canker sore. And although I did not mention it, he assured me that it was not cancer. He prescribed me some magic mouthwash and Motrins, and told me to schedule a follow up it doesn't get better in four days. So guess I could relieve and cancel my appointment with the oral surgeon now. Thank you everybody for your responses and support!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics