Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Agreed - I am a true advocate of do what you can to help yourself. Most people here know me in that I push GOOD NUTRITION (almost NO white sugar, no canned or processed goods (though I ocassionally cheat and use canned organic beans, and non wheat pastas) and No white flour - I'm a veg head so the rest goes without saying), meditation, and overall mental well being. I also believe that acupuncture is a very useful tool, although not something that works for everyone, and have also gone for lymphatic massage and physio, but I've done all this and believe fully that it should all be used in conjunction WITH modern medicine.
Helping ones self is great and no one wants to suffer through treatment but doing what you can also means using every tool available to you - including chemo and rads.
While part of me believes that nutrition is part of what keeps us healthy to begin with. Once someting like cancer comes along it tells me that something is seriously out of kilter in your body for whatever reason... and your body will likely need more help that diet to get past it,, so the best way to deal with it is use all of those things - food, and treatment etc... To get past it... Then maintain your health but maintaining that life style. Best of luck. Remember though there is a point of no return. Hugs

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Bill

I keep misreading your cybername as "Wild Bill" (although it's probably just a transposed surname; Bill Wilde or Bill Wlilde?)
You've made up your mind here, that's clear. As to [quote]why should it be so strange and foolish to follow the timeless refrain: let food be thy medicine [/quote], it is simply that it's taking Hipocrates' advice totally out of context, both then and now.
It's true that the "Father of Modern Medicine" did believe that proper food, nutrition, etc could PREVENT illness. But as far as I can tell, (including reading the Ionic Chronicles and other greek writings ascribed to Hippocrates, he never thought that that food was going to CURE a cancer tumor or any illness. He used salves and other medicines of his time. According to Gary Lindquester's "History of Human Disease," if it was a fever -- a hot, dry disease -- the culprit was yellow bile. So, a hippocratic practitioner would try to increase its opposite, phlegm, by prescribing cold baths. If the opposite situation prevailed (as in a cold), where there were obvious symptoms of excess phlegm production, the regimen would be to bundle up in bed and drink wine. - Hmmn, maybe I have been too hasty in dismissing this ;
If the regimen didn't work the next course would be with drugs, often hellebore, a potent poison that would cause vomiting and diarrhea, "signs" the imbalanced humor was eliminated.

Basically, it's a logical fallacy to assert that what lead to sickness will now cure it. Not oiling a bicycle chain or keeping it rust free will cause it to break, but pouring oil or scouring off the rust does not repair the broken links.

But keep us posted on your "wild" adventure, Bill, at 71, if your tumor is slow growing, you may even die of something else first. But because we do care, I repeat my suggestion to get a scan to see how your "food medicine" is working. Just like my scan showed the radiation shrank the tumor and it's gone, you can find out or at least keep tabs on the cancer.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I agree with Ann-Marie. It's still unknown why HPV causes Head & Neck cancer in some, and not others. Smoking increases your risk, drinking not as much as smoking, chewing tobscvo, having a history of HPV in the cervix, being HIV, lack of nutrients. It's multiple factors, and take years, even decades for the dormant virus to become cancerous, probably due to being attacked so often, your immune system is then unable to fight off the cells from multiplying, especially when you get older, and or when your immune system is lowered. I often hear the phrase, "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food." But I would not substitute it for conventional treatment, and consider it adjunctive as Ann-Marie mentioned.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Best of luck with your choice of treatment plans Bill.

I hope that what you believe to be the correct method to living a healthy & pain free life ends up being the correct decision.

Do let us know as to how things progress as I am sure there will be lots of us here who would love to keep tabs with how things go with the treatment approach you have taken.

6/8/12: Wife 33y/o with no risk dx with Stage IVa SCC L of Tongue(T4aN2bM0)
3/9/12: Induced birth @ 36 weeks - Baby Hunter!
11/9/12: OP - 3/4 Partial Gloss, Radical ND & Tongue Rec.
24/10/12: 33xRad + 7xChemo
7/12/12: Tx complete
21/3/13 & 21/6/13: NED
24/7/13: SCC in Lungs - OP: Lobectomy (VATS)
29/1/14 passed away
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

About 15 months passed since my last visit to an oncologist. so last month I went in for a consultation. The onc said based on your charts you are "fortunate to be alive...and it is a good sign that you are experiencing no difficulty breathing or swallowing." She wanted to do a scan to see if the cancer had spread beyond the BOT and lymph. I refused because I think there is a reasonable chance that a catscan I received several years ago, from a miscalibrated machine was the trigger that turned the HPV malignant.

DX in 12/2010. Stage 4 SCC HPV+ BOT swollen lymph. I've spent the past 3 years away from medical treatments. Instead I've focused on good nutrition, active exercise, singing, laughing, oral exercises and such. I've had neither pain nor discomfort. But I haven't been able to kill the cancer. So, I'm now considering robotic surgery and/or radiation.
OP Offline

Charm and Paul,
Whatever "caused" my cancer may never be known. But...it does seem reasonable to think that if one is living a spiritually, emotionally, physically and nutritionally healthy life that most illnesses will be readily overcome. And maybe, just maybe, cancer will never become well-established.
In my case, I realize that there have been some "lapses in the above...and malignant cancer emerged some three years ago.
Meanwhile, I'm hopeful to uplift my entire health...and maybe just maybe...the cancer will not be debilitating and may even eventually subside. I'm somewhat reassured that I have seen noticeable improvement in such as cuts, bruises, sores and even moles. So, these noticeable healings give me real evidence that my "health" is better for these gradual "lifestyle" changes I am making.

DX in 12/2010. Stage 4 SCC HPV+ BOT swollen lymph. I've spent the past 3 years away from medical treatments. Instead I've focused on good nutrition, active exercise, singing, laughing, oral exercises and such. I've had neither pain nor discomfort. But I haven't been able to kill the cancer. So, I'm now considering robotic surgery and/or radiation.

Really Wild Bill? While there are lots of reasons to question scans, I have to respectfully disagree that there is a "reasonable" chance that a CT scan triggered your cancer. This new theory that scans transmute HPV into cancer is just a "thought". IMO You have finally reached the level of the tax protesters who deny they owe income tax so I'm going to adopt the court's action in Crain v Commissioner, 737 F2d 1417
[quote]We perceive no need to refute these arguments with somber reasoning and copious citation of precedent; to do so might suggest that these arguments have some colorable merit.[/quote]
Glad the real treatments worked well for you and that you are having no difficulty breathing or swallowing. That's how my first time went until the recurrence. Plus you will get no argument that is very good to try and live as healthy as possible. At 71, you are old enough to make your own decisions, but also old enough not to expect us to agree with this latest theory.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 02-11-2013 03:26 PM. Reason: toned it down

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Charm,
Of course i don't "know" what actually turned the relatively common and presumeably benign HPV virus into its cancerous cousin. But....why would it be unreasonable to "raise" the question concerning excess radiation being a significant or even contributing trigger?
Anyway...I'm NOT here to argue. After all, whose going to do a controlled study? Rather, "learning" from others seems the primary benefit from such a forum as this. So, I'll post a further update onmy condition, in the hopes that someone will have an interest.
I got a PET/CT scan as necessary to be considered for a clinical trial. The results showed the cancer had not spread to my lungs.
My weight and energy are only slightly down. Breathing, eating and swallowing are fine. The BOT tumor seems the same size, as I can touch it with my stretched finger. The neck has swollen to the size of an egg. Slightly embarassing.

OP Offline

So sorry to just note of charm's passing. He enlivened many of us.

Yes he did. And ever so much more.

I hope you are doing ok, Wildebill.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users