Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#141511 10-13-2011 09:15 AM
4real Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
Im here again for a little advice.
Im 47 longtime dipper. Havent chewed in over a year.
I used to put the dip in my upper lip for most of the years.

A couple months ago my upper lip didnt feel right, sore like in the very tip, just off and on. Then about a month ago, it started hurting all the time. I went to the ent, and he said there is nothing he could see that looked troubling.
It is now persistent, and really irritates me when I breath through my mouth, while Im working out or cutting wood. I went back to the ent, I think he thinks Im nuts ( I just may be )
He states there is nothing that looks suspicious. I seen on the nci website that lip cancer can be just pain and numbness with out the sign of a tumor or white patch. It just makes me more paranoid. He said to give it a month. He is supposed to be a good doc, did a round at rochester, and has seen lots of cancer. Now even the tip of my tounge seems numb. Its odd that where I chewed would be painful like that . I guess Im just looking for some backup as to what to do. Im alone, lost my wife a year and a half ago. Im on disability and have all day to sit and worry about this. Im trying hard not too.
Thanks for any replies

Dave

Last edited by 4real; 10-13-2011 09:24 AM.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

If you're still concerned get a second opinion at a ccc - that's th best place. In The meantime, try to find somethin to occupy your time.!good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
4real Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply Cheryl!
I called a ccc and told them my situation.
They may tell me to continue with current doc, which is fine.
I may just be paranoid, and hopefully thats all I am.

Dave

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

You know what - better safe than sorry!!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Dave,
I will tell you that when Kevin called me from work and asked me to make him a Dr appt because he had had this swollen lymph node for several weeks, I panicked. He really has not been sick with more than a cold for the 30 years we have been married. I had only seen him vomit once...before chemo!
Anyway, the doc treated it like it was nothing. I started really paying attention and realized he could not hear me as well, he cleared his throat often, his voice had changed and he had complained of ringing in his ear. ALL symptoms of OC. They would not listen to me and Kevin wouldn't let me push it because he wouldn't even consider it. The docs kept saying he just didn't fit the profile of someone with OC.(He fit the profile of HPV OC perfectly.) I even cornered our GP at a party and told her she was wrong and I was sure he had cancer. She just looked at me.
Kevin works out of state for 3 weeks at a time and went back to work. By the time he got home I had an appt with the ENT and after several more weeks got them to do a biopsy. Lo and behold....Be your own advocate. DO NOT let anyone make you think you are crazy. Find someone that will listen and do a small biopsy of your lip. Maybe even just a dermatologist. Go with your gut Dave, trust me!

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
4real Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankyou Kathy

Dave,

I went to three doctors. Mt GP said he had seen cancer and this was not cancer. He did send me to an oral surgeon because I insisted on a second opinion. The Oral surgeon (who had treated many oral cancers) said this was not oral cancer. Since he could not tell me exactly what it was I asked for another opinion. He sent me to an ENT. Guess what? Oral Cancer.

The ENT let me know that oral cancer is fairly hard to detect by eye at very early stages (it just doesn�t pop out at you) most doctors detect it in advanced stages. The earlier you get these things the better. Get to another doctor and ask for a biopsy.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR

Dave:
I'm living proof that there's something to the "gut" feeling. I had to argue with my GP and two ENTs to have my tonsils removed because needle biopsy came back NEGATIVE. Something just didn't "feel" right - all started with me accidentally finding a tiny, soft swollen place under chin that bugged me. All said adult tonsillectomies were bad and "Let's just wait and watch the swollen gland (they said from sinus infection). I begged, pleaded, then insisted on having tonsils removed. Yep, squamous-cell cancer underneath and wasted 3 months to where it spread to other side nodes. It will hurt no one to have a biopsy done on your lip - hopefully there is nothing there, but you will KNOW and not have to worry. Good Luck.

julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
4real Offline OP
OP Offline

An update
lip problems have been better. Ive been taking alot of b complex vits and seems to be helping.
But Im continuing to have pain in my upper gum where I used to dip. Behind my upper front teeth it seems purplish to me. I have been to two dentists, one oral surgeon and my ent. They all say every thing is normal. One stated that my lower teeth are probably just causing some irritation. Im really frustrated. I even called a ccc and explained my problems and they said to continue with my ent.
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have to go out of town for five days, so wont be able to accomplish anything for a little while.

Dave

4real Offline OP
OP Offline

I had called this morn and was going to make an appt for when I return from out of town, they said they could squeeze me in around noon. So I went to the ent again and this time he said its irritated but not cancer or precancer, he thinks its mucal, and wants me to gargle with some mouth wash for a couple weeks. He said no reason for a biopsy and doenst want the irritated area to take longer to heal. I want to be happy with the results but still left with that uneasy feeling. The office called this aft, and said the results from the blood test came back good, I then asked to get a biopsy, they are setting me up with a second opinion with another ent in the clinic in the morning, will see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully Ill get the biopsy and will be withpeople for quite a few days to take my mind off of this.

Thanks for listening

Dave

Last edited by 4real; 11-01-2011 04:33 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics