Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141098 10-04-2011 04:14 PM
debbyb Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
I'm new to this site and community. Last Friday received diagnosis of tongue biopsy: dysplastic and ulcerated oral mucosa, suspicious for invasive cancer. Have been chewing on my tongue in my sleep for many months now. Jaw tension, annoying fading then returning sore on side of tongue and tinitus in ears for about a year. Don't smoke but social drinker. I will be seeing a neck/throat surgeon next monday for consult and possible biopsy and MRI or CAT scan, don't remember which, afterwards. What should I be asking, demanding, avoiding? Thanks for your constructive advice.

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi here - sorry you have to be here - hope it turns out not to be anything! In he interrim try to avoid chewing on your tongue - irritation doesn't help the matter. The situation sounds very similar to my cancer - mine was irritated by a sharp molar and then the cap on it. There are two sides to the arguement about whether chronic irritation can cause cancer. I fall on the side of yes- but im not a dr. It is likely when you see the surgeon you will have another biopsy, and then both a ct and MRI - I had both - then depending on the results of all three they will determine the next step. If you're clear then nothing else will be done ( though you should still continue to have the area watched ) if it is cancer depending on th depth (size and staging) and lymph node involvement - the next step for this cancer is surgery - neck dissection, and tongue to excise the area - and rebuild it (if it's a large enough piece being removed). Then depending on the pathology of the tissue removed - rads and chemo may be recommended! But let's not get ahead of ourselves - first find out if you have cancer - then the most important question after finding out the staging is how soon can it be removed! the primary treatment for this particular cancer is surgery. Hopefully if it is cancer it's early stage! Good luck and do come back and let us know how it goes! Try not to worry - I know it's easier said than done but it isn't cancer until the say it is. Take care!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23