Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BrunoS Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all,

My mother has been diagnosed with Stage 2-3 tongue cancer , squamous cell carcinoma. Two doctors have been consulted and both agree on Dx and Tx: right side glossectomy plus reconstruction plus radiotherapy. In addition, all neck lymph nodes must be removed because the 4 cm tumor is close to the mid-line of the tongue and could have spread to both sides of the neck. My mother is diabetic and is 80 years old. She used to smoke 1-2 packs but quit 20 years ago. HPV is being tested for but it is not likely a HPV cancer.

My mother doesn't want to go ahead with the surgery. She prefers to live 1-2 years in her current condition than maybe 5 years with disabilities (loss of speech, feed tube, etc). Currently she looks healthy and has only minor pain in the tongue when she eats certain foods. The doctor said that rad and chemo can be given in attempt to slow the cancer in addition to palliative care if no surgery is done. Both doctors that have been consulted recommend that she has the surgery but she is not willing to do so.

I am trying to inform myself on the outcome of both options so I can relay this information to her. I want her to have a clear picture of what is going to happen if she doesn't have the surgery. These are some of the questions I have: Will the cancer inevitable evolve to the point it is going to be more painful than the surgery? This is one of my fears. She might regret not doing the surgery after the cancer starts to spread further.

Are there any survivors that were diagnosed at 80 years old and lived up to 5 years or more?

She told me her diagnosis just 4 days ago when I went to visit for her birthday. She has known about this for one month, although the second option was given just 10 days ago. I already went to talk with her doctor but I am only learning about this disease. Any suggestion, explanation, advise from the group would be very useful and very much appreciated. In particular any advise that can help her make the correct decision regarding the surgery.

Bruno

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

This is not a cancer you want to die from, it is a very painful and ugly way to go. Open fistulas draining pus and other liquid debris from the decaying tissues in your face, inability to talk, eat, and more. Opiate pain meds will make her non communicative and non lucid towards the end. Metastasis, if you are lucky, to brain or other vital organ that finally kills you, and the pain and consequences of a distant cancer added to the equation. Stage 2-3 tongue cancer is very survivable. There is no guarantee that she would make it 2 years and certainly not at the current level of quality of life without treatment. You need to convince her this is a bad idea if you can, though ultimately it is going to be her decision.

The problem will be when it gets so bad that someone decides they have made the wrong decision (not to treat), it is too late for any treatments to be effective.

Palliative care will be pain management, chemo will barely put a dent in it without radiation to go with it, and of course Cisplatin or some chemo like it will make her so sick that she will have no quality of life. Things will not stay the way they are today. She needs to understand that. At least the discomfort of the treatments has a positive outcome for most, particularly stage 2 patients. She will have worse discomfort and no future if she follows through with this choice.

I'm am sorry about the blunt and graphic description I have provided you which is all true. But I felt it necessary to state it clearly so that the idea that the next two years would be pleasant would not be her thinking, as that is not reasonable to expect.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 10-04-2011 07:48 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Bruno,

Please print out Brian's response and have your mother read it.
You may want to look around the forum and print out copies of other posts for you mother to read that support getting her on board with full treatment. Reading these posts may help change her mind.

There are people here who would have happily traded theirs for a stage 2 or 3 cancer. Your mother has a wonderful opportunity to survive it and to spare herself an awful death. Please, urge her to reconsider her decision.

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

Bruno - I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's not wanting to go ahead with treatment. You say that "She prefers to live 1-2 years in her current condition" - but without treatment, the pain she is having now will only get worse and and could worsen rapidly and with all the other complications that Brian mentioned above. My son also had pain associated with the SCC under his tongue and it was only when the pain got so bad that he finally went to the doctor. Since often, there is no pain associated with this cancer, it was lucky for him it did because that's what decided him to go for treatment. The doctors told my son the pain was caused by the cancer being wrapped around a nerve. How sad it must be for you and for all those who love your Mom to see her giving up this way when survival is such a real possibility! Please try to impress on her how her refusal for treatment, will affect not only her quality of life, but it will affect all those around her who love her and care about her. I don't know how I would have survived as my son's caregiver if he had not decided to fight this horrible cancer. My heart goes out to you, Bruno - and to your Mom. I hope that she will re-think her decision. Please stay with us and let us know how your Mom and you are doing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

We don't normally see patients as you describe survive 1 year much less 1 to 2 and as Brian pointed out it goes down hill quickly and death is welcomed when it finally comes. There are tons of patients still living and glad they are that had the same surgery your Mom is facing. A decision can not be put off because this cancer will not wait and very soon she will cross the point of no decision available.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there everything said above here is true. I had stage 2 tongue cancer. While I'm younger and the surgery was no walk in the park, within a month I was feeling good. At week 2 I went away to mexico. This was after a 14 hour surgery and a trache. I had a few bandages but I felt good enough to eat at the buffet. Mostly it was soft foods but it was okay. Now as I said I'm younger so it may take her longer to hit that point and train her tongue. But she could very well get here. After that sh should be okay - I had radiation and chemo, because I had a few things (ECE - of the 1 lymph node that was cancerous and peri neural involvement. ) but she Gould choose not to do that. 5 years is a good amount of time but she could very well hang on for 15 why allow your life to be cut short! And suffer a painful death? Hope she decides for he surgery! Hugs to you - take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Bruno, welcome to OCF. Im sorry you are going thru this with your mother. Im sure your mother does not have all the facts or she would not be suggesting to ignore getting treated. Oral cancer in her situation probably can be successfully treated giving her many more good years. Without treatment, who knows how long but 5 years really is doubtful. Without treatment she could make it maybe a year, probably not 2 and it would be very difficult. Brian's description pretty much sums it up. It is NOT a disease anyone would want to die from. Of course, it is her decision. All you can do is give her info and hope she chooses what will be best for her situation.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi, Bruno
In addition to the previous suggestions, you might also want to look at this thread, which shows a very positive outcome after surgery - maybe including encouragement would help:

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138420#Post138420

Best wishes to you in this difficult time.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
BrunoS Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks all for the replies.

My sister, my brother and I talked to her today. I am almost certain she will have the surgery. She has a doctor's appointment on Friday. I have a few more questions for the group. Most likely the doctor will clear this question but I would like to know how urgent is the surgery. Should it be done ASAP or can she waits 2-3 weeks? Waiting would allow her to prepare psychologically and to arrange financial and legal matters.

How technically demanding is this surgery (glossectomy plus neck lymph node removal) would her survival/cure rate be higher if done at a top rated US cancer center? This may not be an option.

She stills needs to do a MRI of the neck area, will this decide how many lymph nodes are removed? At the moment the doctors have said all lymph nodes must be removed. Not sure if the MRI results will change that.

Thanks,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

My husband was originally diagnosed with mets to nodes on both sides (no biopsy on both sides, just a PET scan that lit up bilaterally.) The RO decided against doing a bilateral radical neck dissection because the radiation would, in effect, destroy all the lymph nodes in his neck and eradicate the cancer in the process.

His cancer was staged at IVa and T0N2cM0 which means that only lymph nodes had (presumably) detectable cancer and there was no identifiable tumor. His field of radiation was from the tip of his nose, to his spine and down to his collar bone since there wasn't a tumor to target.

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics