Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1403 07-13-2003 04:38 PM
Liz Offline OP
OP Offline

hi everyone

I had surgery for oral cancer on January 31, 2002 - a piece of my tongue was removed and I had a neck disection - radiation followed with a peg put in for four months. All of that is over and I survived great.

Sometimes it bothers me to eat - but its ok

I had a minor scare when I felt a small lump under my neck again (opposite of surgery) my doctor said it was okay - he'll keep checking it.

My new problem is dental - I went to a dentist a few months ago and she really did not know how to treat my teeth - she said she would check and get back to me. Never did - maybe she just forgot.

Does anyone out there know of a dentist in the Bronx who has dealt with oral cancer patients - if anyone does please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Liz

#1404 07-14-2003 01:09 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If that lump in your neck is still there and he has not done at least a fine needle biopsy of it, get it done NOW. He can't tell from feeling it if it is a met from your tongue cancer or not, and "keeping and eye on it" means doing nothing in the meantime. This cancer moves quickly once it gets into the lymph system. You want to be sure that it is not there. For your health, for your peace of mind. Re treating your teeth. As long as it does not involve the bone surrounding the teeth, or soft tissue surgery which might heal slowly, treating radiated teeth is no different that treating normal teeth for the most part.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#1405 07-14-2003 06:06 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Liz, Brian's right. I had the same thing, lump under my jaw on the opposite side of the original surgery. Sure enough 2 docs didn't think it was anything originally, 3rd suggested doing the pet and it came back positive. The original 2 docs thought possilby false positive, so waited a month, did another scan. Then 3 nodes came back "hot" on the scan. Did needle biopsy to one, sure enough was a met to the opposite side. Second neck dissection, two of the hot spots were malignant, third was an infection of some sort.

Point is, in our case "Lumps" are something to check out, not just wait and see.

Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23