Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EllenB Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi,

This is a monumental event and hard at the same time. My husband went to a two day conference only 4 and a half week after treatment. I am so happy that he felt equipped to go 2 hours away for a conference. He will be gone for days. He went armed with Ensure, Carnation VHC and some of the foods that he can eat. Each day he seems to gain some taste back. Today we went to a farmer's market and he ate a pulled pork sandwich on a soft roll with barbecue sauce. Yahoo. We went out to eat twice this weekend and he actually enjoyed his meals.

I am so grateful for his continued recovery and for all of the support that I received from the forum. If newbies are reading this, keep the faith. There is an end to the suffering. My husband stayed positive throughout and was determined to "fight" this da** thing. And that he did.

Bless all of you on this sad day for NYC. Both my husband and I are from NY and can only feel sadness for all that happened this day 10 years ago. On a happy note my son was born 33 years ago on this day. A mixed blessing on September 11th.

EllenB

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Congratulations, Ellen!!! Look at how tough you two have been! Look at how far you two have come since the beginning or even just a few weeks ago!!!! I am so glad that you two are both doing spectacularly well!

It is a wonderful day when they feel well enough to push themselves back into their routines, work, and regular life! I had a little taste of what you are going through--they seem more ready and less cautious than are we! He is a thriver!

My heart is with everyone who lost family and friends 10 years ago in that evil attack on our country. In many ways we are stronger and more unified. I am proud of how we have responded. My thoughts are with you and your family as we mourn for the communities where the attacks took place.

Sandy
xoxox

ps. That's the second post about pulled-pork sandwiches I've read in as many days...darn...gonna hafta get me one!!!! Or, as HankXavier says "sammich" lol...

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

HEY I HAD A PULLED PORK BBQ SAMMICH AND COULD TASTE IT TOO!!! What a cool coincidence. I seem to be right behind him Ellen. I am starting to get a taste for pickles back too. It's not there yet but I keep tasting a touch of pick juice to check and I can taste it starting to come back.

Dx: 3/11 Stage III glottic laryngeal SCC HPV 16+ Tx Start: 7/18/11 chemoradiation 7wks - Tomotherapy IMRT x 34 / Cisplatin x 7 Tx End:9/1/11]-[as of 1/20/12 - ALL CLEAR!]

EllenB Offline OP
OP Offline

You go Hank!!!!!!! Eddie was just hankering for a pulled pork sammich and he though that the BBQ sauce might taste good. It was a little hard to get the bread down but with water and determination he did it. You keep going, it sounds like you are doing great. Eddie also can taste pasta with Pesto. Something about the Basil. You could try that too.

Wonderful news all the way around.

caregiver for husband
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation

Oh I would love too. Tomato based foods are one of my faves. I'm a spaggetti and goulash boy all day long. Having issues with the acids burning my throat though. So I'm gonna give it some time. I did have some of my favorite Mediterranean Greek salad tonight tho and even tho it burned some I got through it.

We can do it!

Dx: 3/11 Stage III glottic laryngeal SCC HPV 16+ Tx Start: 7/18/11 chemoradiation 7wks - Tomotherapy IMRT x 34 / Cisplatin x 7 Tx End:9/1/11]-[as of 1/20/12 - ALL CLEAR!]

EllenB Offline OP
OP Offline

Eddie said that his throat is hurting too. I really believe that it is from eating. For so long, there was just eggs sliding down and liquid. So he is pushing through because he wants to eat solid food. I guess the soreness will last for awhile. He is going to call his doc to affirm that. I cannot see how it would not hurt after the devastating rads.
Take care Hank and keep eating.

You can do it.

caregiver for husband
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507