Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello, I have been returning back to this site for about 4 weeks now. and I think the site is great! At this time, I have not been told that I have cancer. BUT last aug I spotted a large white area about the size of a dime on the tip of my tonque. I tried to get into see my primary care dr. (I am using the V.A. hospital)I saw the dr, dec 24, by that time my tonque was erroding, I could see layers. the dr went to his supior to get his advise.after his advisor looked at my tonque, he was told to get me into the oral surgen,and it was a routine apointment,he did not think it was a matter of importance, since I had this problem since aug..instead my dr made a referal for the ent thinking this would be the fastest route. I had the biopsy on the 28th of jan. the procedure was a nightmare.I did not know that a biopsy would be done . my tonque was numbed, the dr is yelling for some help, while strugling with the biopsy kit, I finaly hold out my left hand for the tray and while holding my tongue with my right hand. I did not know that I would be gaging on all of the blood, it took forever to get my tongue to stop bleeding, twice he left the room and returned to perform somthing else on my tonque, I am applying preasure to stop the bleeding. thinking to myself, oh my #####%$$# what am I in for. I am in shock. the dr said to me as he is digging into my tonque, It looks bad, but I have seen worse. is this good or bad? I was not given any care instructions, I did not know if I should brush my teeth or rise my month, the pain med did not work. I spent the night watching the clock, waiting to take the next dosage, hoping that the next time it would work. my tonque is still raw, and still bleeds. Feb 7th was the day I was to find out.. Today, the ent dept left a msg for me to tell me that the lab was requesting more tissue. the doctor removed a spot the size of a 25 cent piece , I can see deeper layers, then before. since the procedure, my ears have started to hurt, like a needle is being jabbed into it. Has anyone used the v.a. hospital for their care and if they have any hints on how to get through this.. I am not able to use another med facility. I am unemployed, I was laid off last may, I am soon to be divorced and do not have medical insurance. thanks for any help. and blessings to you all

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Sassy. What a rough time you are going through! I have absolutely no answers for you, but am sending a cyber hug because you surely need one! I would suggest that you read the information in this site. The more you know, the more you can tell your doctors what you want, and understand what they are telling you. I am sure some of the people here whose cancers involved the tongue will be able to give you some answers. Hang in there!
Joanna

Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Sassy, You truly are going through one incredibly rough time...what a nightmare you have been through already. My husband is retired military, and does use the VA for various medical care - but not for treatment of his cancer. He does NOT and I do NOT trust the VA medical center - at least not the one in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area. He has seen more problems and more incompetency there, then you can shake a stick at! I refuse to have him get his "care" there - instead, I have him under my HMO through my employer. He uses the University Hospital Ireland Cancer Center which is ranked as one of the best in the Country. All I can tell you is that what you experienced is "typical" of the VA. Of course, it's only fair to say that perhaps not all VA med centers are sub-standard in their care - but from our experience in Ohio, I would not recommend it. I am not trying to scare you in any way - but I feel it's important to be blunt and honest about personal experiences. Of course, there are many people who have no other recourse but to rely on the VA - and that's still better than nothing. Take care and I hope you have much better experiences with them, and I hope all works out for you.

DonnaJean
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I last used the VA back in 1974 when I broke my leg and it was a scary place. Many county hospitals are also teaching hospitals and have programs for people without resources. In my area you must have a net worth of less than 7,000. Then Medicaid will pay. My local county hospital refers all oncology patients to Alta Bates Cancer Center which has all of the state of the art care, IMRT, etc.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sassy,

You have had a really rough time so far..and I can believe that it would have to shake your confidence in the VA. I can't speak about VA's. But I had a thought...there have been people on here that do not have medical insurance and are getting treated for their cancers. Maybe one will see this post and be able to offer some direction.

Your profile doesn't say where in CA you are, but I would check various goverment health agencies? Or some place like a university that has a cancer center or a place similar to Cancer Therapy Research Centers. Their financial aid people will direct you if they can't help.

Just thoughts - hopefully not too far off base.

Take care and keep us posted.
Dinah

Packer and I have both worked for the V.A. as nurses, if possible find somewhere else..we`ve run into some really scary docs........Dharmacat

Donnajean:

What doctor are you using at UH? What do you think of him/her? I'm not real comfortable with my ENT and am thinking about going to someone else. Thanks for your help.

Pohb, My husband has a GREAT surgeon (Dr. LaVertue) who did his triple endoscopy and as of today - his modified neck dissection. He also has a very good Radiation Oncologist by the name of Dr. Greskovich. He did some aggressive radiation work on my husband, but the lymph nodes in his neck went down significantly. My husbands ENT doctor who did his biopsy way back in August is part of the U.H. network - but does his practice out of Southwest General Hospital. His name is Dr. Kalucis. I would highly recommend these doctors - they have been great so far. Hope this helps. Take care.

DonnaJean

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics